PDA

View Full Version : Jointer question - Safety technique and small parts

Quesne Ouaques
01-13-2006, 2:26 PM
My Ridgid jointer manual says I should not plane (i.e. face joint) wood which is less than 3/4" thick. It says the wood may get caught under the safety guard and cause kickback or some other dangerous situation.

Do other people follow this rule?

Another question I have is regarding the planing/jointing of small and narrow pieces in general. How small is safe? What are the recommended techniques?

Thank you all in advance for your input.

Michael Ballent
01-13-2006, 3:03 PM
I would not do much less than 1/2" and I ALWAYS use push blocks to move the material... I guess some of it depends on the design of the guard. Also I usually move the fence of the jointer so that the blades are covered by the wood... at least that provides a little (just a little) bit more safety... Did I mention push blocks? :)

Bill Webber
01-13-2006, 3:19 PM
Not a recommendation, but I rarely use the guard. I do use push blocks religiously, but not the little plastic ones sold for that purpose. My push blocks are hand drywall sanders. They have heavy straight-up wooden handles, and large aluminum plates covered with rubber. You don't even need to remove the sand paper hold down hardware unless you want to. :)

And, I don't believe I would be jointing anything much less than 1/2 inch either. I'd be running anything that thin through the planer or the drum sander for two reasons. One, it is obviously safer, and two it would be difficult hold down and push wood that flexible over a jointer without simply distorting the wood.

Bill W.

Bill Webber
01-13-2006, 3:33 PM
Another question I have is regarding the planing/jointing of small and narrow pieces in general. How small is safe? What are the recommended techniques?

First, the situation where you need to ask this question should be avoided, e.g., plan your work so you cut small thin pieces out of already dimensioned stock. Having said that, if you really must do it: The minimum length should be 4 or more times the opening for the cutterhead, likely 8 inches or more. Thickness should be certainly greater than 1/2 inch for the reasons stated in the other posts. If I needed to joint a piece of stock 3/4 x 3/4 x 8 inches, (for whaever reason :confused: ) I'd use a pusher board tall enough to be higher than the fence and with a hook in the end. I'd make certain I was well positioned, knowing what bad things can happen and I'd keep my fingers hooked over the pusher board and the fence.

Of course these frightening things can (and should) be easily avoided with a nicely sharpened hand plane...:)

Bill W.