PDA

View Full Version : Air quality meter, what make model, what do they cost?

Randall J Cox
09-16-2021, 10:42 PM
Want to get an air quality meter for my shop to see the particle count and how good or bad my system is. What makes and models are recommended? Don' want to spend lots of $ if I don't have to (like anybody I guess). Tx. Randy

Frank Pratt
09-16-2021, 11:16 PM
This is a really decent, inexpensive one:

https://www.banggood.com/PM1_0-PM2_5-PM10-Detector-Module-Air-Quality-Dust-Sensor-Tester-with-2_8-Inch-LCD-Display-for-Monitoring-Home-Office-Car-Tools-p-1588436.html?rmmds=myorder&cur_warehouse=CN

They have another model for a few bucks more that can be connected to a computer for data logging, if that's something you want. You do have to provide your own USB power supply. I have a USB battery velcroed to the back of mine so I can move it around the shop to keep track of what the air's like where I'm working.

Alan Lightstone
09-17-2021, 9:03 AM
I have the same one. Not sure how accurate it is (may be very accurate, I just don't know), but it's nice visually. I had a friend buy one who was getting pounded by the air from the wildfires. Readings were scary.

Frank's idea about the USB battery is a very good one.

They will non-stop spam you after purchase though... :mad:

Jim Becker
09-17-2021, 9:10 AM
I also bought the unit that Frank mentions and it's useful for showing relative air quality. I have no idea if it's "accurate" in a pure scientific way, but it serves a good visual purpose with both the numbers and the color coding. If things start to ramp up, I know that I have to deal with it. It's in a visible place and actually uses my communication system UPS for power as it has USB power ports on it for convenience.

BTW, once you get your order if you buy it, you'll need to be proactive to stop the marketing emails. Companies like Bangood are very agressive marketers.

Frank Pratt
09-17-2021, 10:41 AM
Yes, they do love to send the promo emails. I won't call them spam, because I consented to them when I made the purchase & I can always opt out.

WRT accuracy, I've read other users' experience with testing the accuracy & it seems like they are not too bad. My use methodology is to look at the counts when I first go into my shop to get a baseline & then use it as a relative measurement. The baseline count in the shop is always much lower than in the house, and it has a top end 3M electronic filter. When working in the shop, I can usually keep counts as low, or lower than in the house.

Jim Becker
09-17-2021, 1:19 PM
That's how I do it, too, Frank...check the reading before I start doing stuff and keep track relative to where it moves to as I'm working. (assuming I remember to do so...but that's a separate issue. LOL)

John K Jordan
09-17-2021, 1:31 PM
Want to get an air quality meter for my shop to see the particle count and how good or bad my system is. What makes and models are recommended? Don' want to spend lots of $ if I don't have to (like anybody I guess). Tx. Randy

I've had the Dylos for years (bought in 2012), recommended by Bill Pentz, also others here and on other forums use it. Not cheap.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004AWEG0Y

The one discussed here is so inexpensive that unless someone else says they've already done it I think I get one and compare it to the Dylos. Might be interesting.

JKJ

EDIT: Hmmm. Tried to order and pay with PayPal and gave up waiting after about 5 minutes. Site locked up?

Frank Pratt
09-17-2021, 8:04 PM
(assuming I remember to do so...but that's a separate issue. LOL)

and there's the rub...

Alan Lightstone
09-17-2021, 8:16 PM
I've had the Dylos for years (bought in 2012), recommended by Bill Pentz, also others here and on other forums use it. Not cheap.

The one discussed here is so inexpensive that unless someone else says they've already done it I think I get one and compare it to the Dylos. Might be interesting.

JKJ

EDIT: Hmmm. Tried to order and pay with PayPal and gave up waiting after about 5 minutes. Site locked up?

I looked at the two of them side-by-side when I first bought mine, but didn't know the conversion formula for the particle count to AQI so I never really did that. One of these days I'll get around to it.

Frank Pratt
09-18-2021, 1:00 AM
Once upon a time I learned what that meant, but then forgot

David L Morse
09-18-2021, 8:00 AM

JKJ

I just now (7:50AM 9/18/21) placed a PayPal order there (for something else) and it went through with no problem and no delay. You might try again.

If you do try to compare them use the .5micron and 2.5micron counts multiplied by 2.8 to get the equivalent Dylos readings.

Bernie Kopfer
09-18-2021, 12:36 PM
So after reading this discussion I ordered one. This is one of many reasons I like SMC, polite discussions and people trying to help each other. John J it will be interesting to hear a comparison if you get one.

John K Jordan
09-18-2021, 1:46 PM
I just now (7:50AM 9/18/21) placed a PayPal order there (for something else) and it went through with no problem and no delay. You might try again.

If you do try to compare them use the .5micron and 2.5micron counts multiplied by 2.8 to get the equivalent Dylos readings.

Thanks. The PayPal worked this time.

Oddly, or not so oddly, shipping from the US is the same cost as buying from Amazon, well $53.98 vs $53.99.

I'll definitely compare the two. How did you calculate the conversion factor?

JKJ

Mark Rainey
09-18-2021, 2:52 PM
I got the Dylos Pro 2 years ago and I like it. High humidity can cause spurious readings. It look like the much cheaper bang good only reads to 1 micron particle size ( the website is not fully loading for me, but the Dylos Pro reads to 0.5 micron.

David L Morse
09-18-2021, 3:02 PM
I'll definitely compare the two. How did you calculate the conversion factor?

The Plantower(1) based monitor displays particle densities in the metric unit particles per deciliter. The Dylos display is imperial, particles per one hundredth cubic foot.

28 liters per cubic foot is .28 liters per one hundredth cubic foot. 10 deciliters per liter then makes 2.8 deciliters per one hundredth cubic foot. So, 2.8 times as many particles in .01 cubic foot as there are in one deciliter at the same particle density. Or, Dylos count = 2.8 x Plantower count.

(1) Plantower is the manufacturer of the sensor used in this and many other air quality monitors.

John K Jordan
09-18-2021, 5:25 PM
Thanks.

JKJ

The Plantower(1) based monitor displays particle densities in the metric unit particles per deciliter. The Dylos display is imperial, particles per one hundredth cubic foot.

28 liters per cubic foot is .28 liters per one hundredth cubic foot. 10 deciliters per liter then makes 2.8 deciliters per one hundredth cubic foot. So, 2.8 times as many particles in .01 cubic foot as there are in one deciliter at the same particle density. Or, Dylos count = 2.8 x Plantower count.

(1) Plantower is the manufacturer of the sensor used in this and many other air quality monitors.

Scott Winners
09-18-2021, 10:54 PM
the conversion formula for the particle count to AQI so I never really did that. One of these days I'll get around to it.

I think I got this one. EPA regulates (outdoor) air quality based on particle counts. I am in a city that gets regularly spanked on our PM 2.5 counts. The PM 2.5 count to EPA regulated Air Quality Index (AQI) in repeated on this page:

http://data.fnsb.us/airquality/AQNearRealTime , FWIW I live kinda near the "oa" in Broadmoor towards the left side of the 'rectangle of death' aka non attainment area.

There are probably similar EPA regs for PM10 and so on, outdoor PM2.5 is the thing EPA is spending tax dollars on here.

Alan Lightstone
09-19-2021, 9:24 AM
David:

I had previously used the Dylos formula for calculating AQI from their meter (at your suggestion in our previous thread). This is the explanation on Bill Pentz's website:
http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/dylos.php

In essence, it is PM 2.5 = (Small Particles - Large Particles) /100

Now the units may be wrong here, and David please correct me if that is the case. I believe this gives the number in mcg/m3 which is the typical units for PM 2.5.

Alan

The next time I run my wide belt, I'll put both meters next to each other, and look at the readings.

David L Morse
09-20-2021, 7:07 AM
David:

I had previously used the Dylos formula for calculating AQI from their meter (at your suggestion in our previous thread). This is the explanation on Bill Pentz's website:
http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/dylos.php

In essence, it is PM 2.5 = (Small Particles - Large Particles) /100

Now the units may be wrong here, and David please correct me if that is the case. I believe this gives the number in mcg/m3 which is the typical units for PM 2.5.

Alan

The next time I run my wide belt, I'll put both meters next to each other, and look at the readings.

Yes, that formula provides a rough estimate of PM2.5 and the units are indeed mictogram per cubic meter. If you want to trudge through the math the assumptions are a particle diameter of 1.5 micron and density of 1.6 g/ml.

Obviously there's a lot of room for uncertainty when you have to assume an average particle diameter for a distribution that ranges over a 5:1 range. That's actually a 125:1 range for the mass per particle. Size distribution varies a lot for different materials and generating processes as well as distance from the source.

For more details on using particle counts to estimate PM levels see this paper (https://www.researchgate.net/publication/216680944_Estimation_of_particle_mass_concentratio n_in_ambient_air_using_a_particle_counter).

Frank Pratt
09-20-2021, 11:52 AM
Yes, that formula provides a rough estimate of PM2.5 and the units are indeed mictogram per cubic meter. If you want to trudge through the math the assumptions are a particle diameter of 1.5 micron and density of 1.6 g/ml.

Obviously there's a lot of room for uncertainty when you have to assume an average particle diameter for a distribution that ranges over a 5:1 range. That's actually a 125:1 range for the mass per particle. Size distribution varies a lot for different materials and generating processes as well as distance from the source.

For more details on using particle counts to estimate PM levels see this paper (https://www.researchgate.net/publication/216680944_Estimation_of_particle_mass_concentratio n_in_ambient_air_using_a_particle_counter).

There's a little light reading :) For now I'll stick to my simple relative method of monitoring air quality.

Thanks for offering those explanations David. It's nice that you have put your brain to work so that some of the rest of us don't have to.

John K Jordan
09-20-2021, 2:32 PM
Thanks for offering those explanations David. It's nice that you have put your brain to work so that some of the rest of us don't have to.

David is my new hero.

JKJ

Alan Lightstone
09-21-2021, 8:44 AM
My old hero.

Ben Ellenberger
09-21-2021, 11:44 PM
The air quality agency for the Los Angeles region has done a lot of work testing consumer sensors against lab-quality equipment. They have evaluations for many popular models. http://www.aqmd.gov/aq-spec/evaluations/summary-pm

I was involved with a project a few years back where we decided to use purple air sensors, as much for their interface as for their accuracy/precision.

Steve Engelschall
09-22-2021, 10:07 AM
Found what appears to be the same product on Amazon:https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Quality-Detector-Tester-Monitor/dp/B07DL1M46J/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=air+quality+monitor+car&qid=1632319002&sr=8-3

Costs more, but free returns if you have Amazon Prime and you can avoid the spam from Banggood everybody is warning about.

Frank Pratt
09-22-2021, 11:39 AM
Found what appears to be the same product on Amazon:https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Quality-Detector-Tester-Monitor/dp/B07DL1M46J/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=air+quality+monitor+car&qid=1632319002&sr=8-3

Costs more, but free returns if you have Amazon Prime and you can avoid the spam from Banggood everybody is warning about.

The easy return is definitely an advantage. But calling their email marketing 'spam' is just plain wrong. It is something you sign up for when making a purchase, but you can easily opt out. Takes about 3 clicks to do so.

John K Jordan
09-22-2021, 12:28 PM
The easy return is definitely an advantage. But calling their email marketing 'spam' is just plain wrong. It is something you sign up for when making a purchase, but you can easily opt out. Takes about 3 clicks to do so.

I didn't buy it from Amazon since at the time it said "not in stock" and the projected delivery time was so long.

How long does it take to quit getting emails from Banggood? I clicked to get off their list but 4 days later I still get several promotional emails a day.
BTW, I didn't see anywhere I signed up for emails when purchasing. Maybe it was in their Terms of Service or Privacy notice (which I did read or try to) but clicking that was required for the purchase. Did I miss something or were they being sneaky?

JKJ

Jim Becker
09-22-2021, 12:50 PM

That does appear to be same unit. Nice find.

Alan Lightstone
09-23-2021, 3:54 PM
I didn't buy it from Amazon since at the time it said "not in stock" and the projected delivery time was so long.

How long does it take to quit getting emails from Banggood? I clicked to get off their list but 4 days later I still get several promotional emails a day.
BTW, I didn't see anywhere I signed up for emails when purchasing. Maybe it was in their Terms of Service or Privacy notice (which I did read or try to) but clicking that was required for the purchase. Did I miss something or were they being sneaky?

JKJ

I’m still getting them months later, and I never signed up for them, and clicked on the unsubscribe link several times So yes I consider that spam.

John K Jordan
09-23-2021, 6:57 PM
I’m still getting them months later, and I never signed up for them, and clicked on the unsubscribe link several times So yes I consider that spam.

Fortunately gmail can send them all to never never land.

Matthew Hills
01-23-2023, 10:08 AM
At this point, is there a prefered air-quality measurement tool for the shop?
Are the purple air sensors useful for shop measurements?

(I'd bought a dylos years back, but it recently stopped working--shows all 0 after a few minutes)

Matt

Alan Lightstone
01-23-2023, 10:49 AM
Accuracy of all of them needs to be taken with a grain of salt. As was stated by someone above, think of them as relative measures.

What I do, is I measure the typical ambient readings, and keep on my respirator when producing particles until the count returns to ambient. I focus on the small particle readings, as that's the most harmful.

It's a great, safe approach, unless we have that Saharan dust cloud over us.