PDA

View Full Version : One more gun case question! (Maybe)

Royce Meritt
01-13-2006, 11:41 AM
OK, here's my latest snag. While attaching the hardware to my wooden gun case last night I discovered that the brass screws I was using to attach the locking drawbolts to the front of the case had too thick of a head to allow the ring of the drawbolt to fully engage the little lip in the top part of the latch. (Does that make any sense at all?) If you look at the attached picture I think you will understand.

These are #4 round head brass screws. I need screws with a thinner head like a pan head but I can't find brass pan head screws anywhere. A flat head screw will not work because the holes are not beveled to accept the flat head. I think these drawbolts are really designed to be used on luggage, etc. and attached with rivets, etc. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Lee DeRaud
01-13-2006, 11:51 AM
Well, the hardware in your attachment sure looks like the holes are countersunk...if the ones in your actual hardware aren't, shouldn't be that big a deal to do it yourself. (This is solid brass, yes?)

Royce Meritt
01-13-2006, 1:15 PM
Well, the hardware in your attachment sure looks like the holes are countersunk...

Actually, for some reason, the ones I have have countersunk holes in the bottom portion and not in the top portion. Go figure! I may have a go at countersinking the top holes myself. Thanks.