PDA

View Full Version : Looking Out My Front Door

Jim Koepke
09-14-2021, 6:45 PM
We are starting to be overrun by these guys:

We have seen as many as seven deer in our yard at the same time.

Sure we have a big yard, but that is still a lot if you aren't eating them.

jtk

Charlie Velasquez
09-14-2021, 8:07 PM
Our city lot abutted a large wooded area that ran through our town. Every morning we had breakfast watching the deer, fox, turkey, raccoon and others from our kitchen window. Our kids preferred watching that than cartoons.

Alas, the deer overpopulated the area and our city council initiated a bow season within the city limits to thin them out.

Alan Rutherford
09-14-2021, 9:03 PM
Here, too. I don't mind having some help keeping things trimmed.

Myk Rian
09-16-2021, 12:58 PM
We have 5 Does and 2 fawns that stay around. We've been watching this herd for several years.

George Yetka
09-16-2021, 1:03 PM

We get some activity in our backyard too

John K Jordan
09-16-2021, 8:14 PM
They are fun to watch, especially when one sticks its nose up against the electric fence wire.

Have a lot of little ones around, also entertaining. Took this a few years back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr16CgfhwIk

JKJ

Scott Winners
09-17-2021, 1:16 AM
My mom in California names the deer that eat her garden plants. None of them are named backstrap or soupbone.

Brent Gamble
09-17-2021, 10:17 AM

Out the back door at our weekend place. We can't have a garden there or much landscaping. The deer have destroyed most everything we've tried. I do like to look at them though.

Jack Frederick
09-17-2021, 10:37 AM
We have three doe and five fawns working the fig tree out. Some sleep under it. We are now having a forked horn and a 5 pt showing up too.

George Yetka
09-17-2021, 11:13 AM

Sorry not the clearest but decent size. At any given time we have 10-20 who spend most of their day in our yard. Right now its 2 adult bucks a couple adolescent and 6 does, and 3 young

We have a couple rows of pines that have long soft needles that are about 6" deep so its a great laydown area especially in the rain/snow. We also have apple and pear trees. The only thing I think they leave for is water.

Curt Harms
09-18-2021, 8:00 AM

Out the back door at our weekend place. We can't have a garden there or much landscaping. The deer have destroyed most everything we've tried. I do like to look at them though.

Trying to grow things like young trees or other foliage that deer find tasty has been a problem in parts of our area as well. There were no saplings, deer would eat the leaves. The local government finally engaged a firm using sharpshooters to thin the herds. I guess there aren't many archery hunters and firearms are restricted due to housing density and landowner resistance. "Why can't we get Bambi's mom to take birth control pills?" type of thinking.

Jim Koepke
09-18-2021, 10:38 AM
"Why can't we get Bambi's mom to take birth control pills?" type of thinking.

In some areas when the deer population starts to over run the humans local animal control may institute a "doe season."

My area is restricted to bow hunting. Not many of the folks living around here would want hunters firing high powered rifles every which way.

A tall barrier of chicken wire can keep them away from small trees until they get big enough to survive the deer.

jtk