PDA

View Full Version : A Round for my Hollow

Jim Koepke
09-14-2021, 6:37 PM
We needed to make a Costco run yesterday and one of our daughters wanted to come along so she and her mom could shop in a store called Terra Stones in Astoria, Oregon. It is a store that sells various stones associated with healing and other uses. They were going to be there awhile which gave me the opportunity to check out a few of my favorite stores on the same street.

A lot of the small shops and antique stores on Commercial Street, the main business district in Astoria, have closed due to the pandemic.

I did find a couple open and one had a round plane that was a close match for one of my hollow planes that didn’t have a partner:

It seems the seller thought it would make a good wall hanger:

The bracket was easy to remove.

Fortunately it had its wedge and iron and was in fairly decent shape.

Of course it was a different brand than my hollow:

It raises my curiosity wondering if there is anything at 297 Market St. in Philadelphia these days.

Being made by different makers the soles weren’t a match. That is easy to fix. After a little work making sure the iron was sharp in the hollow, it was used to work the sole on the round plane:

The blade on the round needed a bit of work. It does seem to work well on a piece of scrap:

The blade needs a bit more work due to the slight change in the shape of the sole. That will happen over time as needed.

It was funny while walking back to the truck, my wife and daughter were almost missed on the other side of the street. There was some odd noises and a crow cawing on top of a building. Turned out it was my wife and daughter “talking to the crow” and having a good time at it. A few of the folks on the street were enjoying the show.

jtk

Jason Buresh
09-14-2021, 6:49 PM
Looks like it should make a good user!

Lee Schierer
09-14-2021, 8:04 PM
It raises my curiosity wondering if there is anything at 297 Market St. in Philadelphia these days.

jtk

There is quite a bit of activity and a lot of businesses near 297 Market St. in Philadelphia. You can google it and drop the little Yellow guy on the street and look around. Nothing woodworking related in the near vicinity.

Jim Koepke
09-15-2021, 2:08 AM
There is quite a bit of activity and a lot of businesses near 297 Market St. in Philadelphia. You can google it and drop the little Yellow guy on the street and look around. Nothing woodworking related in the near vicinity.

Yes, that was checked after my post. 297 Market now appears to be in the middle of an intersection.

A little more searching found this in a plane listed for sale:

Benjamin Sheneman was a prolific plane maker in Philadelphia from approx. 1846 - 1867. The plane is marked at the toe: B. SHENEMAN NO. 297 MARKET ST. PHILA. WARRANTED.

Also found something about another plane with the Sheneman mark:

Another crown molder, this one with a double blade, made by B. Sheneman in Philadelphia, sold for $4,000.

People go nuts at old tool auctions.

Searched > b sheneman plane maker of philadelphia

There is also a B Sheneman & Bro stamp. Also saw an address of 733 Market St.

jtk

Jim Koepke
09-01-2022, 11:54 PM
This plane was recently put to use for a simple sanding block with a cove to sand a rounded surface. It worked but not as well as would be preferred.

Today with a bit of time to spare attention was directed at the blade:

The outer areas of blade need to be ground down for the blade to cut an even shaving over the full width.

Dychem Blue is a simple way to mark a blade:

Dychem Blue dries very fast and cleans off with alcohol. The blade is then set in the plane with enough of the blade protruding for marking with a sharp awl:

This take a bit of pressure. It may be necessary to scribe this a few times for a clear line:

After a bit of work on a Power Sharpening System the plane is working much better:

It is cutting better but still needs some refinement to cut evenly from side to side.

Time ran out, this will be ground some more next time there is time.

jtk