PDA

View Full Version : drawing box joints in CAD

Ed Lang
01-13-2006, 9:46 AM
How to you draw your box joints in ArtCam or Corel products?

There has got to be a fast and easy way to design boxes and laser cut them.

thanks

Lee DeRaud
01-13-2006, 11:16 AM
Arrrggghhh!!! I've been promising for months to post the Corel12 VBA code for my box design tool, but I still haven't gotten around to doing any user documentation for it.

Anybody willing to work without a net, send me your "real" email address: I can't attach anything to PMs or SMC email. It's about a 85K '.gms' file.

Shaddy Dedmore
01-13-2006, 1:55 PM
I don't think it would be that bad using Corel. A VBA one sounds good too though (my email is shaddy at shaddysengraving dot com)

If I were to try one by hand, I'd probably use weld and trim a lot. I don't have Corel on this computer, so no screen shots. But if say you wanted just a bunch of finger joints, I'd make a big rectangle, then a smaller rect lined up on one of the edges/corners, then use the location tool (mine is docked on the right side of the page, not sure what it's real name is) and set my distance then hit Apply To Copy a bunch to get many rectangles spaced correctly. Do that on all sides and follow up with a Weld. The other way would be to trim away a slightly larger rectangle to make the fingers.

Just remember to keep your measurements straight.

Shaddy