PDA

View Full Version : Versalaser 10 watt model. how is it?

Harry Radaza
01-13-2006, 8:15 AM
I need to do a lot of wooden plaque engravings with pictures (using photograv) and accompanying text which are sold as seasonal gift items and also souvenirs for tourists.

Is the CHEAP (7k+) versalaser 10 watt model enough to do this??? I'm thinking of buying it as a stand alone for those particular type of jobs. Is there a way I can replicate the strength of a 10 watt model with my 50 watt machine? I dont have a laser power meter.

Joe Pelonio
01-13-2006, 8:54 AM
On my Epilog the power setting is a percentage of the total (45 watts). If your is operating in the same manner you can set it at 20% power and that's close to what you'd have with 10 watts, with variation due to the fact that actual power is not usually exactly what is stated by the manufacturer. On mine rastoring wood is at 100% power with speed 25-40 depending on resolution. I'd guess that at 20% power on your 50w, to duplicate the 10 watt, you'd be going pretty slow.

Lee DeRaud
01-13-2006, 11:08 AM
Hmmm...had to check the web site, never heard of that model. Looks like they put it in as an entry-level unit to compete with the small Pinnacle V-series. They've gone to "ala-carte" pricing: $5K base unit plus various "imaging cartridges" in 10, 25, and 30-watt flavors. It probably includes more than just the laser tube: the numbers I've heard thrown around are more like $1K just for a replacement tube, although I'm under the impression they're rebuildable.

The 10-watt tube is $260/watt, the others are $200/watt. Unless that $2400 difference in the bottom line is a complete deal-breaker, I'd go with on of the more powerful units, just on a bang-for-the-buck basis. If it's a question of lowest-price-possible, the Pinnacle is $6500, but it has a much smaller cutting area.

Mike Mackenzie
01-13-2006, 12:31 PM
Harry,

The 10 watt versa lasers are for particular applications usually light power applications. Cutting paper, engraving plastics, coated metals, etc.

I would not recommend doing wood with 10 watts it would be really slow in order to get the depth you would want.

For the difference in price it would be worth it to go up in power.