PDA

View Full Version : Moving equipment long distances

Jacob Mac
09-13-2021, 1:57 PM
I'm looking into buying a sliding table saw that seems like a good situation for me. The only problem is the saw is in Wisconsin and I'm in Kansas. I have a small pickup, but I don't think it is up to towing the saw that distance.

Anyone have any experience moving equipment? Did you hire someone? Fly up and rent a box truck? Is this just generally a bad idea?

Jeff Monson
09-13-2021, 2:42 PM
I've done both. First off how heavy and what size of a saw are we talking? If you are looking at a large frame slider then you have a couple things to consider. You need a way to get it on the trailer for the shipper, which is either a rigger or someone with a forklift but option 2 can be sketchy if they dont know the proper lift points for the saw. I had a jointer planer and a large frame slider shipped to me but I hired a rigger both times, considering the cost of the machine I didnt want to leave it in the hands of someone that could easily mess it up. If you want to do it on the cheap, then go rent a drop deck trailer and if the saw has a mobility kit installed, it will roll right on. I moved my slider and my planer when we moved, they had to go to storage till my shop was done so I ended up renting twice. Shrink wrap and good strapping, they were fairly easy to move, getting them on the drop deck was a piece of cake. You have to consider what your time is worth and also get a couple shipping quotes then weigh the odds. Getting quotes is super easy now days. Let us know what machine you are considering and that will help alot.

Erik Loza
09-13-2021, 2:48 PM
My opinion: You are better off picking it up yourself in an open (low) trailer. Or directly hiring a person who can hotshot it to you. The pandemic has made it a real struggle to find LTL carriers who can safely transport industrial machinery or riggers who are willing to handle small loads like a single slider. You could fly up and rent a truck + trailer, then bring it home. Just my thoughts and good luck with it.

Erik

Jacob Mac
09-13-2021, 3:00 PM
Thanks guys. It is about 1900 lbs, give or take. And it is a slider. The size and distance make me nervous.

It is a Minimax SI 315

Erik Loza
09-13-2021, 4:01 PM
...It is a Minimax SI 315

You could dismount the slider, which would make moving the whole thing a lot easier.

Erik

Jay Kepley
09-13-2021, 4:02 PM
You might consider renting a truck with a lift gate.

Patrick Kane
09-13-2021, 4:03 PM
What machine? What condition? What is the seller like?

Ive purchased multiple larger machines, and for the most part my experience consisted of a seller that had zero interest in crating a machine, was selling the machine at a below market value price, and usually had a forklift on site. Most of the large freight companies in america wont take freight that isnt on a pallet and shrink wrapped. That is the minimum, and as you can imagine, shrink wrap doesnt protect your machine much from getting dinged up. If the seller will get it on a pallet and crate it, then you can go through freight brokers and move it as LTL freight. In my previous situations, that was never an option, and i was mostly forced to use Uship. The good news is they typically pick up your machine and deliver it that day or the next day. This limits the exposure of it it being moved on and off a truck multiple times at a freight terminal. The more times those folks touch it, the higher the likelihood that something gets broke.

Erik Loza
09-13-2021, 4:18 PM
You might consider renting a truck with a lift gate.

Unfortunately, long-chassis sliding table saws are too large to fit on liftgate trucks. Whenever we deliver a machine that size, we either leave it a local freight terminal for the customer to pick up with a trailer of their own, or the customer must have a forklift, telehandler, etc. It will be some work to get this thing from Point A to Point B.

Erik

Jeff Monson
09-13-2021, 4:35 PM
FYI This is what I used. Its on the heavy side, but I'd assume a 1/2 ton truck would handle it nicely, my 3/4 ton didnt know it was back there.

andrew whicker
09-13-2021, 6:54 PM
I have shipped something fairly minor in comparison with LTL that was too big for a drop gate. It's kind of a PITA, to be honest. I rented a construction style forklift (telescoping, etc) for the day it arrived (they were off by one day too). They are really bad at communicating when it will arrive unless you pay a few hundred more. I was constantly calling them and they weren't that helpful.

Also, shipping cost depends on density. Probably not a big issue for a dense table saw, but just for future reference. Shipping ping pong balls are super expensive (Fragile + low density).

As has been pointed at above, the LTL shippers transfer loads from truck to truck a few times before it gets to you. Be sure it's packaged well.

Jim Becker
09-13-2021, 7:32 PM
Thanks guys. It is about 1900 lbs, give or take. And it is a slider. The size and distance make me nervous.

It is a Minimax SI 315

We loaded my S315WS on a low flatbed trailer when Jeff Bartley picked it up a couple of months ago using dollies and a pallet jack and a hand-crank winch. It was just the two of us, too. We had to reinforce the steel ramps he brought with blocking so they could support the weight, but we got it done in about an hour and a half. My aluminum ramps were there, too, so there was more width to walk while jockeying things. He unloaded it the same way at the other end of the trip. The wagon was immobilised with heavy mending plates at both ends as well as straps around it through the understructure. The fence, tables, etc., were all removed to keep things as compact as possible.

Jeff Bartley
09-13-2021, 9:43 PM
We loaded my S315WS on a low flatbed trailer when Jeff Bartley picked it up a couple of months ago using dollies and a pallet jack and a hand-crank winch. It was just the two of us, too. We had to reinforce the steel ramps he brought with blocking so they could support the weight, but we got it done in about an hour and a half. My aluminum ramps were there, too, so there was more width to walk while jockeying things. He unloaded it the same way at the other end of the trip. The wagon was immobilised with heavy mending plates at both ends as well as straps around it through the understructure. The fence, tables, etc., were all removed to keep things as compact as possible.

I actually unloaded at my end by myself. I used the wench with a come-along as a safety. Most of the time was spent setting up the ramps. Once in the shop I used a combination of dollies and a pallet jack.

In the future I’d probably rent a trailer like Jeff M shows above…..then you could practically just push it onto the trailer.

I just wouldn’t trust shippers with something like a slider. And who doesn’t love a road trip?

Edit: thanks again Jim, the saw is awesome!

Joe Calhoon
09-13-2021, 10:23 PM
I’ve moved a lot of machines and anymore if it’s a one day drive I will go after it myself. Anything longer I use a one way truck that is air ride. These require forklift at both ends and you are depending on the seller to put I on a pallet and get it loaded. I would never ship common carrier. The one way truck does not require crating, only secured to a pallet and wrapped. They will usually have other items on the truck getting delivered to other locations but your load never moves from where it is placed on the truck. Costs more than common carrier but the savings from no crating is a factor.
That said, moving it yourself with the proper equipment gives total control over the whole process

Patrick Kane
09-14-2021, 9:11 AM
Thats kind of what i was alluding to. If the machine is expensive to you, then its best not to risk it with cutrate shippers--like i typically have--for fear that something happens to it. It is no longer a precision machine if some driving a forklift clips the sliding table with another crate or their forks. I think of sliders as larger footprints and somewhat delicate machines. I would feel 10x better about shipping a planer. Even if its another $1,500, its probably worth it to have it moved with insurance and as protected as possible. I dont know where it is in Michigan, but that looks like 8+ hours one way for you. I probably wouldnt do that move by myself, because it would be cost prohibitive. Your cheapest option will probably be $500-600. Doing it yourself would probably be half of that for gas, tolls, and hotel, plus the miles on your truck, and whatever 16 hours through boring country are worth to you. To me, thats worth about $1,500+ to not do that. Im guessing Joe's option is $1,500-2,000. Just a guess though.

Congrats on the new tool. Let us know what route you go, because it wont be too long that i am shipping a more valuable slider than an old Martin T75, and i will want the experience.

Erik Loza
09-14-2021, 11:26 AM
LTL service is the cheapest but as others have pointed out, I wouldn't trust it unless the piece of machinery is REALLY well crated on the shipper's end. If I have to hotshot (dedicated load, small truck) a piece of equipment from our Dallas office to, say,. Houston/Austin/SA, the cost is generally around $1,000-$1,300. A dedicated truck from DE or CA to TX has been $4K-$5K lately. The thing to understand is that there is a huge shortage of commercial truck drivers right now and costs are ridiculous. No dog in this fight but with all this in mind, I agree with Joe Calhoon: No matter the awesome deal on the piece of equipment, unless you are set up to tow trailers like Jeff is and unless it was within a reasonable driving distance, I would really weigh the time and cost involved and see if you truly are saving as much as you think in the long run. Again, just my 2-cents.

Erik

Kevin Jenness
09-14-2021, 12:36 PM
I used the wench with a come-along as a safety.

Nothing works like a willing wench.

Jacob Mac
09-14-2021, 1:18 PM
LTL service is the cheapest but as others have pointed out, I wouldn't trust it unless the piece of machinery is REALLY well crated on the shipper's end. If I have to hotshot (dedicated load, small truck) a piece of equipment from our Dallas office to, say,. Houston/Austin/SA, the cost is generally around $1,000-$1,300. A dedicated truck from DE or CA to TX has been $4K-$5K lately. The thing to understand is that there is a huge shortage of commercial truck drivers right now and costs are ridiculous. No dog in this fight but with all this in mind, I agree with Joe Calhoon: No matter the awesome deal on the piece of equipment, unless you are set up to tow trailers like Jeff is and unless it was within a reasonable driving distance, I would really weigh the time and cost involved and see if you truly are saving as much as you think in the long run. Again, just my 2-cents.

Erik

Those are good points, and I don't think I could do a good enough job by myself. This one is probably a bridge, or two, too far. Thanks everyone for the insights

Jeff Bartley
09-14-2021, 10:30 PM
I used the wench with a come-along as a safety.

Nothing works like a willing wench.

I don’t think I’ve ever spelled that word correctly! 😆

Chuck Saunders
09-15-2021, 8:51 AM
Listen to Jeff Monson. Gerkin Rental has one of these trailers, $66/day 7000# capacity, pulls easy. No one cares more for your equipment than you.
Chuck

Jim Becker
09-15-2021, 9:02 AM
FYI This is what I used. Its on the heavy side, but I'd assume a 1/2 ton truck would handle it nicely, my 3/4 ton didnt know it was back there.

I looked at one of these for my shop move. They are really great. But also really heavy. The rental place I went to will not actually rent them to anyone who does not have at least a 3/4 ton truck or equivalent.

Malcolm McLeod
09-15-2021, 9:32 AM
... one of these trailers, ... 7000# capacity, ...

... will not actually rent them to anyone who does not have at least a 3/4 ton truck or equivalent.

License naming and weight limits vary by state, so I won't try to provide specifics, but make sure you are aware of weight limits and license-class requirements for each state you will pass through. That CMV inspection station might let 70ft & 40k lb motorcoach slide right by, but then go Code 3 on you zoomin' by in your Chevy 3/4t + gooseneck??

In TX its Class C vs CDL, and IIRC CDL is required for GVWR >26k lbs or >10k lb trailer.

Ronald Blue
09-18-2021, 7:11 PM
Here is an option that's a little closer if you are still looking.
stlouis.craigslist.org/tls/d/morrisonville-sliding-table-saw-panel/7381212985.html

Tom Bender
09-28-2021, 6:18 PM

Hiring one of these should make loading and unloading easy. No issues with weight. Should be gentle on your driveway.

Earl McLain
09-28-2021, 6:53 PM

Hiring one of these should make loading and unloading easy. No issues with weight. Should be gentle on your driveway.

Yep, looks like that car would tow it fast…and corner well too! Oh…you meant hire a rollback…never mind!!
earl

Chuck Saunders
09-29-2021, 9:18 AM
Wisconsin to Kansas on a rollback could get expensive for open air travel
Chuck

Jim Becker
09-29-2021, 9:29 AM
Yes, Rollback service is more for a local engagement...from the truck terminal or direct transfer from a tractor-trailer to the rollback and then to the destination site. Please note that not all rollback operators will do non-automotive transport. My understanding from the rollback operator I used for my CNC delivery is that it's an insurance matter, at least in PA, but likely elsewhere. Additional coverage is required and many operators don't want to pay the cost. One great thing about using a rollback for "last mile" is that a good operator can place the load pretty darn close to "a spot", including inside a roll up door if it's tall enough and wide enough or to a loading dock since the deck height is about the same height as a big box truck or a tractor-trailer-trailer. Local use is a $100 well spent, IMHO.

Jared Sankovich
09-29-2021, 9:37 AM
I looked at one of these for my shop move. They are really great. But also really heavy. The rental place I went to will not actually rent them to anyone who does not have at least a 3/4 ton truck or equivalent.

Odd. Sunbelt here in Va has no issues renting that trailer to someone with a 1/2 ton truck.

They are great for machine moving if you dont have much more than a pallet jack.

Jim Becker
09-29-2021, 9:42 AM
Odd. Sunbelt here in Va has no issues renting that trailer to someone with a 1/2 ton truck.

They are great for machine moving if you don't have much more than a pallet jack.

I agree that a drop is a great way to move machinery for the obvious reasons. But those things are uber-heavy because of how they have to be made. I think that the local rental places are concerned with folks overloading since they are starting with a trailer that's already 3-4K lbs empty.

Tai Fu
09-29-2021, 12:14 PM
I'm looking into buying a sliding table saw that seems like a good situation for me. The only problem is the saw is in Wisconsin and I'm in Kansas. I have a small pickup, but I don't think it is up to towing the saw that distance.

Anyone have any experience moving equipment? Did you hire someone? Fly up and rent a box truck? Is this just generally a bad idea?

A little off topic but I had just moved shop recently. I do not have a vehicle.

I have a 3000lb milling machine, a 1000lb band saw, and various other doodads.

The mill and the bandsaw and other heavier equipment required a rigger with forklifts. In Taiwan fork lift, if it is an easy lift, costs about 25 dollars. However altogether the rigger charged 200 dollars including the forklift. It was well worth it in my opinion as I don't really have the proper equipment, and the rigger showed up with a truck that has a built in crane, and he lifted the machine out of the old shop using the truck mounted crane. The new shop must pass through a sliding glass door with rails on the floor (which can get damaged) as well as a height clearance of about 180cm. The bandsaw had to be partially disassembled, and both machine went in with the forklift with the rigger catching it inside using heavy duty rollers which allows the machine to be rolled into position.

I'd say moving the machine across state line is only slightly harder than moving it 2 miles. As if you don't have your own vehicle you're looking at LTL either way.

Question is how much are you willing to spend? Maybe you can rent a low flat trailer that hooks onto the back of your truck and you could just drive it across the country yourself. It would probably be cheaper than LTL and forklift anyways.

Jim Becker
09-29-2021, 8:07 PM
Tai, when I was moving shop recently, I did call a rigger. They wanted $4000 flat rate for the day. That was a big "nope"... ;)

Malcolm McLeod
09-29-2021, 9:20 PM
Tai, when I was moving shop recently, I did call a rigger. They wanted $4000 flat rate for the day. That was a big "nope"... ;)

So, $4000 divided by my age = cipher, cipher, carry the nought, mutter, mumble... yep, gettin' cheaper every day!:eek:

Jim Becker
09-30-2021, 9:06 AM
So, $4000 divided by my age = cipher, cipher, carry the nought, mutter, mumble... yep, gettin' cheaper every day!:eek:

I was really shocked, especially when I explained the scope of work. I ended up moving it myself in three+ loads on my utility trailer with the help of a local WW friend (and 'Creeker) and my younger daughter's boyfriend.

Malcolm McLeod
09-30-2021, 9:37 AM
I won't try to say its cheap - or even affordable - but figure $75/man-hr X 8hr day X 3-4 guys(?). That's probably half the quote there. Then throw in travel time, fuel, power equipment, dollies, straps, chains, chain-falls, tarps, blankets, and truck(s). And finally the liability insurance and expertise (if there's a soft spot in the yard, a snowstorm, or a sudden volcano along the route, they can deal with it). And your part devolves to Master-Pointer ("That goes there. No. There! ...Puuurrrfect.")

I have only a passing familiarity with your shop, and as high as the bid seems, it doesn't sound like they were out of line.

I've found if you can be flexible with schedule, their rates can be way better. Maybe they have to travel to another job nearby? Maybe they can grab your stuff going or coming? ...Their travel time gets cut back, and they are billable for more of any given time period. Win, win.

And your back wins too.

Jim Becker
09-30-2021, 7:29 PM
I'm sure that what they were asking was based on what you mention, Malcolm. It just wasn't feasible for me. They were a bit curt relative to quoting it, too, but that's a whole different issue...some folks communicate less, um...pleasantly...than others. :)

Tom Bender
10-04-2021, 5:49 PM
So the rollback flatbed is normally a local deal but think of the labor savings, worry savings and equipment savings.

If you use a rigger it takes two men and a fork truck at each end and a bigger truck and possibly load consolidation somewhere out of your control. Then there's the potential driveway damage (fork trucks have high wheel loads). You may have overhead clearance issues at either end too. The flatbed will give a smooth ride but there is the issue of weather.

It may take a little 'out of the box' thinking for the operator but the cost might still be lower since it's only one man and no other equipment to pay for.

Ronald Blue
11-05-2021, 8:43 PM

Here you go Jacob. Should be close enough,

https://bid.auctionbymayo.com/lot-details/index/catalog/29595/lot/4554462?url=%2Fauctions%2Fcatalog%2Fid%2F29595%2F% 3Fpage%3D1

Mike Kees
11-05-2021, 11:27 PM
I bought my slider and an edgebander two provinces away from my house. 1300 kms both ways. A real long day and a night in a hotel then another real long day. Hauled it home with my 3/4 ton diesel and a flat deck trailer (my bobcat hauler). Some people would call me crazy but even when the trip and time are included in the cost ,I still saved over $25000 on new prices for two machines that were so close to new it was ridiculous. I do own a Bobcat as well as engine hoist and pallet jacks and several dollies. I have an extensive collection of rachet straps and slings as well. I have hauled all the machines I have bought home myself. My advice is take a roll of shrink wrap,tarp,as many straps as you think you need x2. I also take scrap 2x4 and 3''deck screws with an impact driver to screw blocks around the base of machines on my trailer(wood deck). There is no such thing as an over secured machine especially for a long drive.

Curt Harms
11-06-2021, 9:49 AM
I'm sure that what they were asking was based on what you mention, Malcolm. It just wasn't feasible for me. They were a bit curt relative to quoting it, too, but that's a whole different issue...some folks communicate less, um...pleasantly...than others. :)

Or they simply didn't want to deal with it.

Roger Feeley
11-06-2021, 10:10 AM
Jacob,
I used to live in Overland Park and moved to the DC area. We used Sunflower Pack and Move. It’s really just one guy who rents big U-Hauls and drives them. He has a Rolodex of free-lance helpers all over the country. Lots of times he rides his motorcycle. So, for your move, he might ride to Wisconsin and put the motorcycle in back with the saw.

The number I have for him is 913-888-8292.

Jim Becker
11-06-2021, 11:01 AM
Or they simply didn't want to deal with it.

True dat...I'm sure much larger jobs were a lot more attractive.

Roger Feeley
11-06-2021, 11:16 AM
I used riggers for my move from Overland Park kx. As I recall, I paid $1100 for them to move all the heavy stuff from my basement to my garage. I paid for 3 hours and they ran out of heavy stuff so they moved almost the rest of the shop. Those guys worked hard!

I had moved the big stuff down to the basement over the years but gravity was my friend and I had a ready supply of friends to help. I knew that going back up was going to be difficult.