PDA

View Full Version : Question on Freud Dial-a-Width Dado

Alan Turner
01-13-2006, 5:04 AM
For those of you who have the Freud dial-a-width dado set, #SD 608, I know that some saws' arbors are not long enough to use the full 13/16" width of the dado, what with the hub.

The first question is whether, if one were content to be able to dial in a width of less than that, could one still use use this set? I have both a Unisaw, and a SawStop, and both arbors are too short for the blade set, I have read, or been told, but wanted to know if I could use the set if I were OK with having less than the full 13/16" of capacity.

The second quesiton is whether I can use it all on the SawStop, what with the brake shoe and dust shroud. In other words, this is a basic "will it fit the SS" question.

Thanks for your help, as always.

John Miliunas
01-13-2006, 8:25 AM
Alan, you may most assuredly use it with less than the given capacity, if that is your need. Even though it is "dialed in", the basic set is still exactly that: A set! The major width changes are still made via stacking additional cutters. The dial part comes in when you need to tweak the width and I'm talking thousandths here!!! :)

Sorry I can't answer the SS question. (Wish I could!!!:D ) BTW, I believe the Uni arbor should be long enough for the full set. I could be wrong, but I know my BW is fine with it and I doubt my arbor is any longer than the Delta. :) :cool:

Allen Bookout
01-13-2006, 10:11 AM
Alan, Just to back up John. Answer to question one. Yes you can. I use one on a Uni with no problem. Answer to second question - I have no idea.

Alan Turner
01-13-2006, 10:44 AM
Thanks, guys. I have emailed SS, and will post the answer when received.

Charles McCracken
01-13-2006, 12:23 PM
The SD600 series was designed around the Delta Unisaw and should stack the full width. Saw Stop offers a dado cartridge for their saw but you will have to wait for word from them in regards to compatibility.

Howard Acheson
01-13-2006, 3:11 PM
>> I have both a Unisaw, and a SawStop,

The SD60x can be used on either saw to it's fullest width. In fact, it can be used on any full sized tablesaw as far as I know.

Alan Turner
01-13-2006, 7:40 PM
Howard, and others. Got an email back from SS that it fits their saw. Oh, the credit card will hurt yet again.

Michael Ballent
01-13-2006, 8:20 PM
Thanks Allen for double checking with SS... I have been wondering that as well... but man that would be an expensive ouch if one would hit the blade while its running.