PDA

View Full Version : A new experience at Lowes

Phil Phelps
07-17-2003, 5:44 PM
Well, they are tryin' harder at this one. I took back a mercury vapor lamp today. Still in the box, but the packaging had changed from the ones currently being sold. It never worked when I purchased eight of them three years ago, but hadn't got round tuit, don't you know. Having no receipt and wanting a store credit, the return lady said it wasn't theirs. I ask customer service and they suggested I get a person in electrical to match the lamp. He said they never carried that lamp. Huh?? And then a strange thing happened. Two men came down the isle and instructed the attendent to please help up front and ask what they could do for me. Ask what I had paid for it. I pointed to the display and the man said, " please come this way". We went to the return desk and he directed the lady to credit me the amount for the lamp number he gave her, and ask if there was anything else I needed. No, I said, dumbfoundedly, but thank you very much. He said "sometimes we just do things the hard way". Now how about that!! Course it took management, but by golly they took care of a customer. I like that.

Lynn Sonier
07-17-2003, 6:32 PM
Sounds like an old episode of "Touched by an Angel", doesn't it?

Howard Barlow
07-17-2003, 11:08 PM
Reminds me of a Texas dept. store, Beall's.

A friend of mine was a salesman in the men's dept. A lady came in with a pair of Levis she wanted to get a refund on. The jeans had a J.C. Penny price tag on them. The harder Tony tried to explain the pants didn't come from Beall's, the more adamantly the lady argued they had.

As he was holding the pants up, pointing to the tag, the manager walked up and said, "Give the lady her money."

Go figure.

Herb Kelley
07-18-2003, 8:26 AM
good Lowes story.
Recently, at the returns counter at my store, the lady in front of me was trying to return a manual push mower. Remember those? She had it in the box.
Anyway, the clerk said you had it more than thirty days, it is yours.
The lady said it does not cut good. The clerk called someone and said we can sharpen the blade but no return. The lady asked to see the manager. "He is at lunch and will not be back for an hour." Then let me speak to someone else. "They will tell you the same thing". The clerk then turned to me for my return.
It was the M12V that I had purchased the day before (I had the receipt). The clerk then proceeded to give me a hard time about my return. Had it been used, what was wrong with it. why was I returning it. All before she even started the paperwork. She then made a big deal about calling the tool crib guy over to "inspect it". He also made a big deal out of the return, commenting that they were giving these away and did I just buy this on a wim? I thought they are not going to let me return it. When he finally said it was OK, the clerk commented that I was not like some people who bought mowers then returned them at the end of the season. So much for no hassle returns.
I almost gave them back the Lowes cap I was wearing at the time.

Lee Schierer
07-18-2003, 2:47 PM
For a time I worked at Kmart. My department was right next to the pet area. Every 3 months or so a lady would come in and return her dead parakeet, without a receipt, but she had the little transport box that they gave people to take them home, wanting a new one. The pet department supervisor would always say no. The lady would ask to see the store manager who always said yes.

There was also a guy that would come in and return storm doors. We could tell by the date code on them that they had been sold 6-12 months or more before. He would claim the wind blew out the glass or the lower panel. Funny how the wind would always take away the panel so we couldn't see it... We had to give him new doors too! A guy in the department knew the man and he owned several apartments in a low rent area. The doors came from there, apparently after a tenant had an argument through the door.