PDA

View Full Version : what wax product to coat end of boards with

Ned Otter
09-09-2021, 9:14 PM
Greetings to all --

In late October/early November, I'm taking delivery of a whole bunch of green black locust for garden beds to be built in the spring. Wondering which type of wax-based products others have used to coat the ends of the boards to minimize checks/splits.

Thanks in advance --

Tom Bain
09-09-2021, 9:34 PM
Anchor seal is the product most often recommended but it’s a tad expensive. Some folks have good luck using latex paint.

johnny means
09-09-2021, 11:54 PM
Every yard I deal with uses paint. It's also great for color coding species or individual batches.

George Yetka
09-10-2021, 7:23 AM
Anchorseal isnt that expensive 40 /gal. Its alot if you dont get green wood often but if you plan to do it, and depending on how much of a load your getting now thats where i would lean

Lee Schierer
09-10-2021, 7:52 AM
I use beeswax. I melt the wax and simply dip the end of the board into it.

John TenEyck
09-10-2021, 10:47 AM
Greetings to all --

In late October/early November, I'm taking delivery of a whole bunch of green black locust for garden beds to be built in the spring. Wondering which type of wax-based products others have used to coat the ends of the boards to minimize checks/splits.

Thanks in advance --

Unless you coat the end of the log within 3 days of cutting it's not of much benefit to coat them.

John

Mark Bolton
09-10-2021, 11:08 AM
Unless you coat the end of the log within 3 days of cutting it's not of much benefit to coat them.

John

+1 ...
One you receive the boards its too late. The logs need to be coated ASAP after felling the trees.

Bob Cooper
09-11-2021, 9:09 AM
Is it too late because they naturally seal?

Stan Calow
09-11-2021, 9:42 AM
There's another recent thread here https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?246010-Green-wood-end-grain-sealer-iTree-Saver-Brand-vs-Anchorseal-vs-Anchorseal-2 that discusses products.

Mark Bolton
09-11-2021, 11:22 AM
Is it too late because they naturally seal?

Its too late because the drying that causes end checking begins pretty much as soon as the tree hits the ground. You want to seal the ends of the capillaries ASAP to make every attempt at slowing the rate the ends lose moisture in relation to the rest of the log.

Ned Otter
09-11-2021, 7:51 PM
Thanks very much to everyone that replied, really appreciate it.