PDA

View Full Version : exterior cedar rail finish

mark kosse
09-09-2021, 6:22 PM
Evening folks, Looking for something to protect my deck rails. I built these about 5 years ago and have redone them twice since. I'd like to try an oil finish this time so I can just continue to add to at as time goes on. Any suggestions? I haven't like the finishes I've used so far.

Rod Sheridan
09-10-2021, 12:42 PM
Hi, I have been using Thompson's Timber Oil, pecan colour on red cedar wood.

I'm happy with it...............Rod.

Kev Williams
09-10-2021, 2:42 PM
A good friend of mine is (imo) an artisan woodworker, and for anything that will see sunlight he swears by Danish Oil...

Jim Becker
09-11-2021, 9:09 AM
Sikkens or similar.

Doug Garson
09-11-2021, 12:02 PM
I'd recommend Cabot Australian Timber Oil. I used it on a cedar root table base a few months ago, looks great, I can't comment on longevity but all the reviews were positive when I researched it.

Ken Platt
09-11-2021, 9:19 PM
I use penofin on my ipe deck railing. They had a formulation supposedly specifically for ipe type hardwoods. It seemed like it built up in the wood; the first few years I recoated more, perhaps yearly for a couple times, then every other, and at this point (I built this maybe 15 years ago) I haven't recoated in several years, and it is just about needing it. I recoat with an abrasive pad, sort of like wet sanding.

By the way, that's a beautiful railing. Did you make those posts and rails? Buy?

Ken