PDA

View Full Version : a bed for my daughter

ryan sikes
01-12-2006, 11:41 PM
Hello to all,
I finished a bed for my daughter a few months ago and now that I have a digital camera I thought I would post a couple of pictures for some friendly feedback. This is my third project. Design is just losely based on Stickly.
Thanks to everyones vast knowledge I have picked up quite a few tips on this site. I hope that I will be able to contribute more some day.

Cheers,
ryan

ryan sikes
01-12-2006, 11:51 PM
I almost forgot the most important picture.

Jim Dunn
01-13-2006, 6:53 AM
Ryan, real nice job on both the bed and especially your daughter. Their both beautiful!!. I like the jointery on the corner posts.

Jim

David Scarborough
01-13-2006, 7:15 AM
Ryan,
very nice work. What kind of wood did you use? How about the finish?

DS

Dick Parr
01-13-2006, 8:26 AM
As noted, Great Job Ryan on Both.:)

Jim Becker
01-13-2006, 9:40 AM
By Jove...I think she likes it!! (Nice job...)

ryan sikes
01-13-2006, 4:57 PM
Thank you for the kind words,

When I first started woodworking I settled with poplar. It is the cheapest available hardwood for me and isn't to hard to work with. All in all a nice starting point. I have been told that it is considered paint wood but I think it is kind of nice with a good finish. Speaking of finish, I have found that a 'danish oil' is easiest for me. I just mix up some varnish, tung oil and mineral spirits (2:1:1).

Any one know where to find some nice cast bed bolt covers? What I usually find are the cheap stamped ones.

Cheers,
Ryan

Brad Schmid
01-13-2006, 5:10 PM
Very nice job Ryan.

WhiteChapel LTD has a decent selection of bedbolt covers
http://www.whitechapel-ltd.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=wc&Category_Code=bbcover

Cheers,
Brad

Jim Becker
01-13-2006, 5:13 PM
Ryan, many of my projects are poplar (off our property, even) and with the exception of our kitchen cabinet face frames/doors and a few other things, nothing ever gets paint. I use dyes and shellac to get the color I want. Material that has a few knots works well as a substitute for pine (my Thos Moser style armoire) and clear material emulates close grain species quite well.

Try Van Dykes or Restoration Hardware for the bolt covers...I don't remember if they do, but it's worth a look.

ryan sikes
01-16-2006, 1:48 PM
Brad, the bed bolt covers from WhiteChapel are perfect. I really like the lost wax cast brass ones.

I will start to experiment with different finishes- shellac seems like a great option.

thanks again to everyone here, I don't have much of a support group for this dark side obession.

cheers,
Ryan

John Miliunas
01-16-2006, 2:25 PM
Lookin' good, Ryan!!! Bed ain't too bad, either! :D Yup, the new occupant appears to be totally pleased. What a deal: Dad gets to do what he enjoys, daughter gets a beautifully handcrafted bed and you're a "Hero", to boot. Hey, it just don't get no better than that! :D :cool: