PDA

View Full Version : working with paperbacked veneer

Kevin Jenness
09-08-2021, 9:20 PM
I'm not a big fan of paperback veneer but a shop I sub for uses it a lot for architectural woodworking and cabinets. It's a real timesaver and easy to work with- no seaming or taping and little sanding required.. You lose the ability to tailor your leaf widths to specific pieces and I'm always a bit suspicious of the wood to paper bond after one memorable failure that may have been caused by that, but them's the trade-offs.

My current project is eight bathroom cabinets with white oak exteriors and maple interiors to match the pre-finished maple ply used where practical. The doors and drawer fronts are 1" Medex banded with 1/4" lumber and the plain-sliced oak veneer glued with Titebond 2. The cabinet panels are laid up on 3/4" Garnica Plumaply HD, veneer core with a fiberboard overlay.

I used to cut the veneer sheets with a knife but have taken to using the sliding table saw. It requires extra support for the floppy 4x8 sheets but saves time and effort, especially with this oak veneer at .020" with a .010" paper backing.464414

The blanks are sized 1/8" over final dimension and the veneer and cauls another 1/8" over that to allow for any slippage in the press. Panels are laid up in sequence with spacers to allow cutting them apart with a knife before trimming to fit the cabinet openings. These are full inset with 3/32" reveals.464415

I get a controlled amount of glue on with an old Klebo canister applicator and go over it with a roller before closing the frame press and pulling vacuum.464416

Some cabinets in progress:464417464418

John TenEyck
09-09-2021, 10:38 AM
Looks like a pretty efficient approach Kevin. I haven't used a lot of paper backed veneer but with what I have it's always worked well. It really saves time when you have to cover a lot of square feet.

I made my own version of it once to cover two small end panels of Melamine on cabinets already installed. I sanded my shop sawn veneer down to 1/32" and glued it with TB II to Kraft paper. I glued that to the Melamine with spray contact cement. Two years later it's doing well.

John