PDA

View Full Version : My Wixey Gauge Installation

Scott Coffelt
01-12-2006, 10:37 PM
I have been eyeballing the Wixey gauge since someone posted they had gotten one. Well Woodcraft's has them on sale this month for 25% off, so off I went with some b-day cash.

Last weekend I got a chance to install it on my Ridgid 13" planer. The installation was pretty straight forward, though you do have to read them. The Ridgid does pose some installation problems as you can not have screws protrude through the back of the plastic as the head unit will hit anything out the back. The gauge comes with double back tape, but I just don't like that as the only mounting choice. I got everything in place and carefully drilled holes through the mounting holes. I was able to find two screws in my bins that had built-in washer, course thread and thick enough. I grinded them down so they would just reach the thickness of the bracket, tape and planer housing. They hold strong and worked perfectly. If I was to make a suggestion to Wixey it might be to design a similar option (they do discuss Ridgid in the instructions).

Calibrating was a snap. Though I did have to repalce the battery that was already installed in the gauge (extra included). It shows decimals when in between common fraction measurements and then shows the fraction when appropriate. I am totally looking forward to the accuracy having this gauge will provide when planning.

Josh Goldsmith
01-12-2006, 10:44 PM
I am not familiar with Wixey. Is that a digital gauge for exact amout of material you are taking off?

Bruce Page
01-12-2006, 10:48 PM
Gary, that's a very clean looking installation! I love it when modifications/improvements look factory done!

Josh, you nailed it.

John Miliunas
01-12-2006, 11:13 PM
Nice install, Scott! I think you're going to really like having that as a reference for planing. I had one on my Dewalt before I sold it and missed it so much, I just got one and modified it to fit on the 15" Yorkie. I think they work super and at that price point, affordable for most any home workshop!:) Enjoy!!!:) :cool:

Dick Parr
01-12-2006, 11:23 PM
Great upgrade Scott, can't wait to hear what you have to say about it. Please keep us posted.:)

Jim Becker
01-13-2006, 9:38 AM
I am not familiar with Wixey. Is that a digital gauge for exact amout of material you are taking off?

A DRO (digital read out) retrofit makes it possible to easily adjust certain pieces of machinery to an exact depth of cut...repeatably. The unit shown is a popular and affordable version of this technology previously only found on very expensive equipment.

Steve Clardy
01-13-2006, 12:01 PM
I'm thinking about one of those for my 20" grizzly

lou sansone
01-13-2006, 12:08 PM
they look sweet to me...
lou

Bill Lewis
01-13-2006, 12:17 PM
Jim hit on it, repeatability. These things take the guesswork or "feel" out of it. I've been extremely happy with having a DRO on my DeWalt planer. The Wixley works very well and is worth the $ invested. I've only a couple of complaints worth mentioning.

1. No automatic power off, you best get in the habit of turing it on when you need it and off when you're done, otherwise lots of battery replacements are in the future.
2. I wish it had a backlight or larger numbers, or both. I've had great vision all my life, then I just hit 45 and what they say is true, those little numbers are getting harder to see.
3. Re-calibration procedures. Since I don't use it everyday, I always have to go back to the paperwork. I think I'll laminate a set of quick instructions written up in a nice large font (see #2) and hang them from the planer.

Scott Coffelt
01-13-2006, 12:43 PM
Great input, I am with you on the battery and on/off thing. I have the same issue with the laser on my CMS. I think I will add a big sign in front of my face that says, turn off when done or something at the door as a checklist. Can't tell you how many times I've have opened the door to the shop to turn the lights on and see the red laser..... wonder whta the life span is on that thing.

John Miliunas
01-13-2006, 12:48 PM
I'm with you guys 100% on the backlight thing! If only for 5 or 10 seconds after it's mobilized, would be awesome. As for the the "auto-off" thing, well, that's a different situation. I asked Barry about that a long time ago and he said it makes very little difference in battery power savings. There's a very minute additional amount of power necessary to keep the display "on" and, as a matter of fact, when you turn the unit "off", it's really not off anyway! The main circuitry stays active in order to "remember" where it's set! If you think about it, it does make sense. :) The backlight thing would indeed be helpful, though, even if the digits remained the same size. :) :cool:

Scott Coffelt
01-13-2006, 2:11 PM
I guess I need to do some "I" searches for bulk rate on the batteries. I know I found a site a few weeks back that had small batteries for like 25 cents each in 10 packs I believe. Now to remember when I am int he shop to check the battery number, I think it is SR44 or something like that.

Roy Wall
01-13-2006, 2:15 PM
Scott,

Your post jogged my memory that I had a "woodline" dro I ordered before Christmas and just set on a shelf in all the rush of the season!!

I just got it out and will attach...........but

It doesn't have a "fractional display" along with the DR....so that's a bummer! Small #'s too.......:mad:

Maybe I should send it back-- Wixey has theirs on sale for only $40!

John Miliunas
01-13-2006, 2:26 PM
I guess I need to do some "I" searches for bulk rate on the batteries. I know I found a site a few weeks back that had small batteries for like 25 cents each in 10 packs I believe. Now to remember when I am int he shop to check the battery number, I think it is SR44 or something like that.

Scott, yes, it is indeed an SR44. I just bought a couple 3-Packs of the Duracell brand. :)

Brett Baldwin
01-13-2006, 2:41 PM
Hey Scott, that looks like a great addition there. I was thinking about your mounting situation. Is there enough clearance for a pop-rivet behind the plastic? I'd think the screws will work loose eventually. Just a thought.

Scott Coffelt
01-13-2006, 3:24 PM
I think it would be too deep on the back side, in my case the planer head literally was about a piece of paper away, so in this case no it would be too deep.

Bob Winkler
01-13-2006, 6:16 PM
Can't wait to try mine. I received it today- only 2nd day after I ordered it. Now that's good service.:)

Bob

Mark Rios
01-13-2006, 10:53 PM
Can't wait to try mine. I received it today- only 2nd day after I ordered it. Now that's good service.:)

What day did you order it, Bob? I ordered mine on the night of the 10th and I haven't seen it. The Postal Service is no help with their tracking info. That system never works for me. lol

Bob Winkler
01-13-2006, 11:33 PM
I ordered it Wed and got it today via priority mail. I just installed it and so far it seems to work fine. It took longer than I thought to put in on my Delta 560, but that's probably because I'm slower than most.

Bob