PDA

View Full Version : My B-day Buy

Scott Coffelt
01-12-2006, 10:26 PM
Well I mentioned a few weeks back about getting the Tiger 2000 slow speed wet grinder. Here she is in the shop. Though the Tormek is the Cadillac of grinders, in the short time I have had this I know I am gonna like it. I was able to get it for 20% off during the Hartville Tools sale, so it came in around $250 with a free short knife jig. I also was able to get in on the Tormek clearance at Amazon and picked up the woodturner's kit. As you can see on the second pic the cover fits just fine. So I got just South of $400 (same cost as of the Tormek 2006 only) invested and have all of the jigs I think I will use. So how does it perform, well after some bad user error (didn't get the first chisel properly tightened as other end was tighten first and caused the chisel to not seat flat) and dang near impossible to get a square grind, I was able to sharpen a few and I must say that my arm has never been balder and the scrap cherry easily curled up on the edge with light pressure.

Now, the only things I would prefer to be better are: manual is horrid, even if you read german (I downloaded the Tormek PDF), the angle jig is a little cheesy and I may buy the Tormex version as I can also use it on my standard slow speed grinder as well (though I currently just set based on the current bevel of the tool) and finally the paste they provide is in a can so you have to dab some on the finger and apply (will work for now and may decide to replace some day with a tube version).

Not sure if others are interested in this version or not, and most may not be able to get the deal I got so the price variance between the two options could be much closer, but for me I am satisfied.

Roy Wall
01-12-2006, 11:00 PM
Looks like another winner!!!

Scott - you're lighting up the front page of SMC today!