PDA

View Full Version : So who has a tried and true dill pickle recipe?

Dennis Peacock
09-06-2021, 11:09 AM
I'm looking for a tried and true dill pickle recipe that is easy to do. I'm not a fan of pressure cooking type canning. Just looking for something simple enough that I can follow and do and yields good and crispy dill pickles. :)

Bruce Wrenn
09-06-2021, 4:14 PM
I'm looking for a tried and true dill pickle recipe that is easy to do. I'm not a fan of pressure cooking type canning. Just looking for something simple enough that I can follow and do and yields good and crispy dill pickles. :)

The Ball Canning book, or local Extension Office would be my starting point.

Matthew Curtis
09-06-2021, 6:52 PM
I gave up on canning pickles. They never stayed crispy
I only do refrigerator pickles now. Keeps me and the kids good during the summer months.
Let me know and I can find the recipe.

Ted Calver
09-07-2021, 10:53 AM
Have you looked into fermenting (https://www.feastingathome.com/fermented-pickles/)? I've made some really nice half-sours using fermenting...It's easy to do and worth trying. Adding a piece of horseradish leaf to each jar helps crisp them up nicely.

Bill Dufour
09-07-2021, 11:07 AM
My BIL has a recipe to use the pickle spices packet as a rub for roast chicken. Just rub it on before cooking.
Bill D

Bruce Wrenn
09-07-2021, 8:47 PM

For crisp dills,you will need calcium chloride. Mount Olive Pickles has a 15 minute You tube video of their plant, and processing pickles. I know Kosher dills aren't brined. They are fresh packed, which means cukes go into jars along with juice and spices.