PDA

View Full Version : possible to flatten plywood?

markus shaffer
07-17-2003, 4:35 PM
I got a call today from a customer regarding a job I delivered awhile back.. It's basically a standalone cabinet made from birch plywood. seems one of the doors (flat panel 3/4" birch plywood with edge banding) has warped a bit since it was delivered. I checked it out this morning and sure enough, the inside bottom corner of the door is warped in about an eighth of an inch. I have a sneaking suspicion the door was removed at some point after delivery and leaned up against the wall unevenly to do this to it. they were a bit sketchy on the details of what happened after I delivered it. Anyway, my question is, is it possible for me to re-flatten this panel? Any ideas anyone has would be greatly appreciated as I don't know if I could match the wood again if I had to make another door. This piece is actually part of a 3 piece set, so trying to salvage this door would be ideal.

-markus

Phil Phelps
07-17-2003, 5:17 PM
....using steam, or moisture some way and weight. Probably more trouble than to make a new one. I hope someone has an easy remedy. We'll wait and see. Should be interesting.

Steve Jenkins
07-17-2003, 5:46 PM
can you put a small stop at the bottom corner and a mechanical catch at the top? Steve

markus shaffer
07-17-2003, 6:17 PM
can you put a small stop at the bottom corner and a mechanical catch at the top? Steve

Unfortunately, the door is inset, so I don't think they would be interested in some sort of stop in the bottom. I was thinking along the same lines as Phil's idea. Sand the door down, steam it and put weight on it.. If there are any other ideas, I'm open to other options. I just don't think I'll be able to match the one new door to the rest of the piece.

-markus

Phil Phelps
07-17-2003, 7:57 PM
Unfortunately, the door is inset, so I don't think they would be interested in some sort of stop in the bottom. I was thinking along the same lines as Phil's idea. Sand the door down, steam it and put weight on it.. If there are any other ideas, I'm open to other options. I just don't think I'll be able to match the one new door to the rest of the piece.

-markus
I was ashamed to mention earlier that I have tried this many years ago using crude methods. I actually warped it the other way. It wasn't finished either, and you could damage the finish. I was thinking of a heat box with a moistened towel in the mix. How long is a guess. Then weight it down on a really flat surface, ie. TS. I know someone has done this successfully. Right??

Todd Burch
07-17-2003, 10:43 PM
Take it off the hinges, lean it against the wall the other way for a couple days - check progress - repeat if necessary. Being near the gulf coast, I would do it in the garage and let the humidity work on it too.

Todd.