PDA

View Full Version : Conversion of Hammer A3-31 to Shellix Head

Mike Gottlieb
09-04-2021, 8:28 PM
I am currently in the process of converting my 1st generation Hammer A3-31 to a Shellix cutterhead. I am at the point where I need to remove the infeed table in order to remove the old cutterhead assembly from the body. I need some advice on removal of the spring and its pin from the hinge shaft. I believe that Cliff Rohrabacher and Brad Shipton have performed this task. What I need to know is do you need to compress the spring before removing the pin, and what did you have to do to the spring when replacing the pin? I have some fear of knocking the pin out if the spring is under any kind of pressure. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Ted Calver
09-05-2021, 9:20 AM
Can't help with advice, but I'm interested in doing the same thing to my 1st gen Hammer. Hope you will take us along for the upgrade.

Mike Gottlieb
09-05-2021, 1:40 PM
To Erik Loza: Can you help with the questions on this subject?

Erik Loza
09-05-2021, 2:29 PM
To Erik Loza: Can you help with the questions on this subject?

Mike, unfortunately I don’t anything to add to this conversation. Our techs basically refuse to do retrofits on jointer/planers for the reason that it is so much work. They must use some type of pneumatic or hydraulic jig on the assembly line. I can’t imagine dealing with those springs with just hand tools.

Erik