PDA

View Full Version : Delta 18-36 Drum Sander Parts

Joe Melhorn
09-03-2021, 10:04 AM
I have a Delta 31-250 18/36 Drum Sander that I recently purchased as a “basket case”. After tear-down and cleanup, I have discovered that two of the timing gears are broken (P/N: 406130510004). A search for replacement parts proved fruitless. My question and hope is that someone on this forum might have a broken/derelict unit that would be willing to part it out and sell the parts. If you have the parts or know of a source for them, please let me know.
Thanks,
Joe M.

John TenEyck
09-03-2021, 12:45 PM
From an old post that I saved:

About two weeks ago I posted a thread about the unavailability of replacement plastic table elevation miter gears for
the Delta 18-36 series sander. The parts are: PN 406130510007, which mounts on the left front timing gear, and PN
406134060001, Gear shaft assembly, which includes both the plastic miter gear and 3/8” shaft. These parts are used
on models 31-250 through 31-260X and according to all Delta parts suppliers that I contacted, they are obsolete and
will not be replaced..
With the help of Creeker Jim Falsetti who provided a drawing with dimensions of the gear, I was able to find a gear
made by Boston Gear and available from Amazon.com, PN GP1632Y for $13.12 each that can be made to work.
This is not an exact replacement for the original gears, however with minor modifications it will work perfectly.
To replacement the gear attached to the timing gear, drill two 13/64” holes for the mounting setscrews. To replace the
gear on the elevations shaft, you will need to reduce the bore size with a 3/8”x1/2”x1” bronze bushing that’s
available at most hardware stores, and you will need to drill a 1/8” hole to accommodate the roll pin that secures the
gear to the shaft.
By placing the sander on a work bench and removing the drum motor, it becomes a fairly simple repair.
First picture:New replacement gear on left, old gear on timing gear in center, and old shaft gear on right.
Second picture: Shaft gear with reducer bushing and roll pin.
Third picture: Completed installation.
These replacement gears saved my sander from the junk pile, hope it will be of help to you. Many thanks to Jim
Contributor
Jim Tabor
Forum
Delta 18-36 Sander Owners.....A Must Read http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?203150-Delta-18-3...

John

Mike Wilkins
09-06-2021, 10:02 PM
Try ereplacementparts.com
I once had an 18-36 that needed a part and they were a big help.

John TenEyck
09-07-2021, 8:51 AM
I just noticed that the link above still works, and will take you to Jim Tabor's original post and thread.

John