PDA

View Full Version : New Year, New Saw

Gary Herrmann
01-12-2006, 9:10 PM
Heres a pic of the General 650 + goodies Santa brought me. The goodies include the Jessem sliding table (25% off Rockler sale, so not really Santa), an Excalibur overarm blade guard and a Merlin splitter. The WWII and the Woodhaven miter gauge, I already had.

I bought the saw from the Woodsmith Store. Was pretty happy with the purchase process. I had to adjust the tabletop to get it square with the blade, but other than that, no adjustments were necessary. Well, I did have to cut about 8" off the left end of the rails to accomodate the sliding table. As far as I can tell, the top seems to be dead flat.

My wife also got me the 8" Freud dial-a-dado. She went back to Rockler the day after I bought the sliding table and got the dado for 25% off. I think I'll keep her.

Ironically enough :rolleyes: my first project of the new year is to make a desktop organizer for my son's teacher (as promised by the wife). Guess I'll get familiar with the dado set pretty quickly.

Jim Becker
01-12-2006, 9:16 PM
Santa really was very good to you!! And you must have been "good" first!!! (Congrats on the new iron...)

lou sansone
congrats on the saw.. I would be interested in some photos of the slider

best wishes
lou

Bernie Weishapl
Boy you have quite a outfit Gary. Nice saw and accessories. Now to make some sawdust.

Michael Gabbay
01-12-2006, 9:30 PM
Wow Gary you must have been REALLY REALLY nice!! ;)

Beautiful saw and accessories.

Roy Wall
01-12-2006, 9:35 PM
Nice setup Gary!

I'd like to know your thoughts on the slider? In the real world, how long a board will it support for CC.......4' - 5' - 6'....x 30" wide????

John Miliunas
01-12-2006, 9:42 PM
Wow! No wonder Santa didn't leave any tools at my house this year! Sheeeesh...I think he broke the sleigh with that haul! :eek: :D Enjoy, Gary and please, give us updates on that slider, too!:) :cool:

Mark Carlson
01-12-2006, 10:28 PM
Wow is right:) I have the same saw and have been considering the Excalibur overhead guard and the Jessem Slider. Any initial thoughts on either of these? Especially the slider.

~mark

Jim Dunn
01-12-2006, 10:38 PM
Very nice saw Gary. No wonder you haven't invited me to your shop. Your trying to keep me from seeing it in person. I'll probably have to have one so better not invite me, unless you've got the coffee pot on:)

Jim

Bruce Page
01-12-2006, 10:45 PM
Beeyoutiful! Gary, you must've been a very good boy last year!

How do you like the Jessem slider? Was it difficult to install?

Gary Herrmann
01-12-2006, 10:58 PM
Lou: I'll try to post some pics. Let me know what in particular you're interested in.

Roy: From memory, I think it will crosscut 36" with the fence in the rear position, but I'd have to look at the manual to be sure.

Mark: The overarm guard wasn't too bad to install. A little clumsy for one person. The sliding table just took tweaking to get it level with the saw table - that part took maybe an hour. Set screws aren't the most precise things.

Jim: Any time you want to drop by, just let me know. My wife and I don't drink coffee, but I've been told she makes a good cup.

Bruce: This is my only experience with installing a sliding table. I'd imagine they all require precision to be done properly which just takes some time. Not difficult, just tedious.

Jim Dunn
01-12-2006, 11:08 PM
I like a little dust in my coffee and I don't see much around your shop. Been cleaning for the pic police??

Gary Herrmann
01-12-2006, 11:16 PM
Nope. Just moved the saw to a clean spot.

Jeffrey Makiel
01-13-2006, 12:36 PM
If I had a saw setup as nice as yours, I'd also keep a big nasty wrench next to it to fend off the thieves!
-Jeff

scott spencer
01-13-2006, 12:57 PM
I've reached a point in my life where I have much more control over myself when I see pics like this....now I contain the drool to just the immediate area around my chin and chest instead of slobbering all over the keyboard, monitor, and floor...:D

Nice saw!

Dan Forman
01-15-2006, 12:59 AM
Gary---Now that we know you have the goods, we will be eagerly awaiting the sliding table review. congrats on the new setup, know you've been waiting a while for it all to come together.

dan