PDA

View Full Version : Workbench choices

John Edwards
01-12-2006, 8:47 PM
Been spending lot`s of time getting my shop set up to how I want it. Made a couple smaller benches that have worked pretty well but I`d like to get a good big honker of a bench.
But the caveat is that I don`t want to make another shop tool. I`d rather take the easy way out and just simply buy one.

These are two that I have been looking at

http://www.workbenches.com/UltimateAmerican.htm

and

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5399

Anyone care to make any sugguestings between the two ?

Or perhaps offer up an alternative that I have overlooked ?

Thanks

Jim Becker
01-12-2006, 8:54 PM
Gee...quite a choice. I pick "door number one"...

Bernie Weishapl
01-12-2006, 9:19 PM
I agree with Jim. Door #1. Looks like a solid bench that will last a good long time.

lou sansone
01-12-2006, 9:19 PM
I also think that ulmia should be considered. they are better than door #2 and some feel close to equal to door #1

lou

Derek Jones
01-12-2006, 9:31 PM
John,
This amounts to my first post on SMC. I have had the Ultimate American for about a year. It is definitly a solid bench that will last many years. I can't think of a thind that I would change on it. My vote is door # 1.
Derek

Mark Singer
01-12-2006, 9:45 PM
I have had a number of benches over the years and I now have the Diefinbach Ultimate American....which is a great bench. For both handtools and power tools it is very practicle...I have added a few holdfasts..for planing and dovetailing. The front vise has a tension screw to distribute pressure...it is the only bench vise to my knowlege that does. If you do mostly panel work, consider a double row of dog holes and a more modern bench. If you do only hand work...the traditional European bench is very nice...though a bit small...For the amount of lumber and labor in the bench , it did not make sense for me to make one....

Mark Carlson
01-12-2006, 10:24 PM
I bought the Sjoberg bench from Woodcraft a couple of years ago. These are very similar. The bench is very heavy duty with a 3.5 in thick top. The top of the line Sjoberg's are are thing of beauty. The cabinets are very nice also. The german bench your considering looks good too. I also considered the Ulmia but they were out of business when I was looking. There back now under new management.

~mark If I was in the market today, I'd get the Ultimate American.

Jim Young
01-12-2006, 11:34 PM
John, I too was looking for a good bench not too long ago. I ended up buying a Diefenbach (Mark Singer's fault for convincing me). I looked at the Sjorberg bench and didn't really care for it, the vises didn't seem very smooth.

I'm close enough so that you can come take a look if you want. Here is the one I ended up getting and a link to my writeup.
www.simoli.net

http://www.simoli.net/images/Woodworking/Shop/jy_diefbench2.jpg

Dev Emch
01-13-2006, 1:58 AM
When it comes to packaged pre cooked food, I think door #1 is the most tasty. You should also look at Ulmia. Ulmia has had some issues of late and a side effect was they dropped out of visability. They have new management and new input cash so they are a bit re-invented.

The problem with buying a bench is that will not fit every curve or wrinkle you have. In time, you will most likely go about building one of your own. Just keep this in mind as you move forward on this adventure.

Lastly it helps to test drive a bench before you buy. Grab the bench and shake violently. Go on, do it in one direction and then the other. Any movement? No movement is good. How are the vises? Give them a try. Pound on it. Does it sound hollow or solid.

The advantage to buying a bench is that you get to use it. I went the other way and I am still waiting to get my bench finished after three or four years of work. There is always something to pull you off of your spare time project. And you know engineers.... You need to fix it if it anint broke.

Best of luck in your quest...

Alan Turner
01-13-2006, 4:26 AM
John,
I built my first bench about 5 years ago (still in use in basement shop), and then a year ago built two more (teacher's bench and a similar one as a student bench), and am now building a series of 10 for the new studio. I can't imagine buying a bench when there are so many design decisions to make, including vises. But, if you have decided not to tackle the project, then Door No. 1 would be my choice.

John Piwaron
01-13-2006, 9:09 AM
First, I don't know *anything* about store bought benches. Years ago, I built the one Woodsmith had plans for in issue #55 (or so).

Today, after a lot of use since then, of the two you show, I vote for #2. Because of the double row of bench dogs. You just can't have too many ways to hold the work.

But more than that, I've also come to think that even that isn't always enough. This is why in the back of my mind I'm considering how nice it would be to have a board jack, and a "face vise" (for lack of the accurate word), you know, the kind of vice where it's just a vice screw pushing a block onto the work. Also that afformentiond double row of dogs, and holes for holdfasts. Maybe even a patternmakers vice. Yeah, something like that. Underbench storage is great too, but conflicts with the hold fasts. In my case, I could make the cabinet that goes under the Woodsmith bench.

Of course, all the choices in a bench are strongly influenced by the work you do, or want to do. I look at my bench as my third hand.

Carlo Petrilli
01-13-2006, 11:26 AM
John,

If your looking at buying one, I would seriously consider the Laguna Signature Series bench. This bench weighs in at 750lbs. and is competitively proced compared to the Deifenbach benches. I had a chance to get my hands on one at a Tornoto Woodowrking show and it is built like a tank.

Roger Myers
01-13-2006, 2:02 PM
Another vote for the Ultimate American.... I was all set to build my bench, had acquired all the hardware and even most of the maple, when I fell into a virtually unused ultimate american bench at an incredible price.... I haven't regretted it a second! I still have the hardware and plan to build a second bench, but the bench I bought is rock solid, the vises are terrific, the anti-racking screw on the front vise is a great feature....mine came with the drawer and door set, and I even like that....
.02 Roger

Bill Webber
01-13-2006, 9:54 PM
If you buy the tools and then you buy the bench, will you then buy the other wooden things you should have made with the tools?

Never mind... just passing through! :rolleyes:

Bill W.

Mark Stutz
01-13-2006, 10:05 PM
John,
I have not used one, however I had a chance to look at the LN bench at the WW Show last year. Very solid. They were using it to do demos of the hand planes. I think you can specify size, etc. I suspect they are not pre-made so that may be an issue. The one I saw had a traditional tail vise, which appeals to me.

Joe Mioux
01-13-2006, 10:27 PM
I have had a number of benches over the years and I now have the Diefinbach Ultimate American....which is a great bench. For both handtools and power tools it is very practicle...I have added a few holdfasts..for planing and dovetailing. The front vise has a tension screw to distribute pressure...it is the only bench vise to my knowlege that does. If you do mostly panel work, consider a double row of dog holes and a more modern bench. If you do only hand work...the traditional European bench is very nice...though a bit small...For the amount of lumber and labor in the bench , it did not make sense for me to make one....

This is a bit a diversion, but I still choose Mark's door number one.

You have posted this shot before, and I still love it because of the hint of what is in the next room! Excellent compostion!

Joe

Oh, back on track, go with the Diefenbach.

Pete Grass
01-13-2006, 11:53 PM
Have to register a vote to look at Ulmia. German made - it's a great bench in the larger sizes so you don't get the shakes. I used to live there, brought a couple to San Francisco several years ago and had to sell one. Miss it still. There are lots of options on the dogs - square, round, side etc and the vices are square and parrallel. It has also remained quite flat in seasonal changes.

My benches were bought in 1988 - don't know about the company's management changes or quality since, but take a look - I'm very pleased with mine.

Pete

Jeff A. Smith
01-14-2006, 12:15 AM
Have to register a vote to look at Ulmia. German made - it's a great bench in the larger sizes so you don't get the shakes. I used to live there, brought a couple to San Francisco several years ago and had to sell one. Miss it still. There are lots of options on the dogs - square, round, side etc and the vices are square and parrallel. It has also remained quite flat in seasonal changes.

My benches were bought in 1988 - don't know about the company's management changes or quality since, but take a look - I'm very pleased with mine.

Pete
Once, when in Denver, I went to Gaby's house and saw several of the Diefenbach benches that her family makes in Germany. If I could have packed one in a suitcase that fit in overhead, I'd have brought one home. They're top notch.

Mark Singer
01-14-2006, 12:40 AM
This is a bit a diversion, but I still choose Mark's door number one.

You have posted this shot before, and I still love it because of the hint of what is in the next room! Excellent compostion!

Joe

Oh, back on track, go with the Diefenbach.

That was my previous ride....still a nice one though not a Turbo like the new one...oh and made in Germany , like the fine Difennbach benches:rolleyes:

Bob Weisner
01-14-2006, 9:22 AM
What would the weight of the workbench be if the top were 5 1/2 inches thick straight across? I never understood why the center of the bench top is not as thick as the sides.

Corvin Alstot
01-14-2006, 4:16 PM
What would the weight of the workbench be if the
top were 5 1/2 inches thick straight across? I never understood why the
center of the bench top is not as thick as the sides.
I am not sure a 5 1/2" top would be an avantage over a 3 or 4" thick top
A 3-4" top will give you a life time of use, I can't imagine the extra weight
would make the bench any better.

Most of the pounding on a bench occurs in the front half of the bench,
this is where the depth helps. If you like a lot of weight, build drawers
beneath the top and store all your tools, this can add significant weight.

Jay Knoll
01-14-2006, 11:33 PM
I'm with Alan, build one for yourself. there are tons of plans/alternatives out there and posts here in SMC on the subject. It is a fun project and you will take great pride in it when you walk into your shop.

However, if you're not going to build it yourself, and you've narrowed it down to these two chocies, I think bench #1 is the way to go.

Jay