PDA

View Full Version : I made my first trip to Woodcraft yesterday...

Keith Starosta
07-17-2003, 12:48 PM
I was like a kid in a candy store, walking around with my mouth agape. At one point, while I was brousing through the selection of rough cut lumber, one of the older guys that was working in the shop came walking me. He slapped me on the shoulder, saying "pretty impressive, eh?" Yes it was.... ;)

For a rookie, just getting into this hobby, that store was an inspiration. Alot of the items were more expensive than I can afford right now, but I was impressed nonetheless. I may go again today, just to make a wish list..... :D

Keith

Brad Schafer
07-17-2003, 1:29 PM
i highly recommend finding a production sawmill and taking a walk thru it. stores like woodcraft (et al) are nice if you want to slaver over a piece of equipment (or really exotic wood), but are nothing compared to the manly feeling one gets when inspecting tons of rough sawn 'muricun timber.

:)

b (a red oak guy, m'self)

John Miliunas
07-17-2003, 1:32 PM
Well, you've had it now, Keith! Of all the stores available to you, it's got to be Woodcraft. Yup, you're done for! I made the same "mistake" a couple years ago. Today, my 12-year old daughter even knows the way there. Heck, I could forget the way, but even my car knows how to get to it! Enjoy and you'd better put a short leash on your credit cards! :D :cool:

Pete Fox
07-17-2003, 3:04 PM
You're in Trouble now Keith!! I've taken several classes there and all the instructors were excellent...

Richard Gillespie
07-17-2003, 8:49 PM
Keith, let me join in about Woodcraft Store. You're in trouble now! I'd like to have the money I left behind in that store.

I assume that you went to the one in Springfield, you being from Fredericksburg. In Manassas, there is hardwood distributor by the name of Northland Forest Products. They are at 9300 Lithe Lane. They are in the Prince William County phone book under lumber.

They don't sell tools but you could spend hours picking out hardwood to work with. When I was last there the prices seemed very reasonable.

I hope you enjoy slidding down a very slippery slope like the rest of us.

Rick :)

Keith Starosta
07-18-2003, 7:57 AM
Keith, let me join in about Woodcraft Store. You're in trouble now! I'd like to have the money I left behind in that store.

I assume that you went to the one in Springfield, you being from Fredericksburg. In Manassas, there is hardwood distributor by the name of Northland Forest Products. They are at 9300 Lithe Lane. They are in the Prince William County phone book under lumber.

They don't sell tools but you could spend hours picking out hardwood to work with. When I was last there the prices seemed very reasonable.

I hope you enjoy slidding down a very slippery slope like the rest of us.

Rick :)

Yes, it was the store in Springfield. I work in Tyson's Corner, so I come down through the Mixing Bowl everyday (lucky me! :rolleyes: ). Multiple trips to that store will be made...

Thanks for the info on the lumber distributor. From what I understand, there a few right in my area, too. I've almost got my shop to the point where I can actually start producing something, so a trip to one of these bad boys is definitely in order!

Keith

Charles McKinley
07-18-2003, 8:30 AM
I just got a postcard about 10% off anything in the Pittsburgh store on July 24th.

Evil place ;)

Mark Patoka
07-18-2003, 11:00 AM
Keith,
Welcome to the madness. I usually try to get to the Springfield store every month or so. Northland Forest Products in Manassas is a good source with decent prices. There is also Colonial Hardwoods, www.colonialhardwoods.com, just south of Springfield off the Fullerton Rd exit. Their lumber prices seemed higher but they also have a selection of exotics, veneers, stuff that Woodcraft doesn't carry. Their worth checking out also if you're in the area.

Keith Starosta
07-18-2003, 12:05 PM
Keith,
Welcome to the madness. I usually try to get to the Springfield store every month or so. Northland Forest Products in Manassas is a good source with decent prices. There is also Colonial Hardwoods, www.colonialhardwoods.com, just south of Springfield off the Fullerton Rd exit. Their lumber prices seemed higher but they also have a selection of exotics, veneers, stuff that Woodcraft doesn't carry. Their worth checking out also if you're in the area.

One of my client sites is right off of Fullerton and Backlick Rd. Next time I go by there, I'm gonna stop and gaze in wonderment.... :D

Thanks for the info!

Keith

Pete Fox
07-18-2003, 2:09 PM
Mark,

Where in Stafford are you? I'm off 610 in Hampton Oaks....

Pete

Byron Trantham
07-18-2003, 2:43 PM
Mark, I live in Fredericksburg. Where is Northland Products?

Mark Patoka
07-18-2003, 3:34 PM
Pete,
I live just a little further down 610 in Stonehill Estates. Turn left at the Meineke Muffler.

Byron,
Northland is at 9300 Litho Lane in Manassas, www.northlandforest.com (http://www.northlandforest.com). If you like I can send you the directions on how I get there.

Byron Trantham
07-19-2003, 1:09 PM
[
Byron,
Northland is at 9300 Litho Lane in Manassas, www.northlandforest.com (http://www.northlandforest.com). If you like I can send you the directions on how I get there.[/QUOTE]

If you wouldn't mind. I am always looking for sources of wood. We have J.C.Forrest about 3 miles from my house but the selection is limited.

From 95 north take exit....... :D

Doug Jones
07-19-2003, 4:43 PM
See what you all did. After reading this thread. I decided to do a little search, and guess what? Indy has a Woodcraft store on the north side of town. Guess where I went this morning? Yep took my first trip also. Man O' man, Keith how right you were, all the stuff I've seen for sell on the net was readily available in my hands right there in the store. Alas, the only thing I bought was a new TS blade. And what wood choices, and machinery choices, and,,,,,, Later

Doug Jones
07-19-2003, 5:18 PM
Alot of the items were more expensive than I can afford right now, but I was impressed nonetheless. I may go again today, just to make a wish list..... :D

Keith

Keith while I was there today the guy behind the desk said that next week all merchandise in the stores are 10% off. Just something for you to keep in mind.
Doug

Jeff Rich
07-20-2003, 9:05 PM
and I probably walked right by Doug....LOL
I went to the new one in Indy as well.
You have to shop between them and Rockler!!
Some items are a lot cheaper at Rockler.
As far as wood goes, I wood go to one of the local sawmills.
There is one near Kokomo called Hollingsworth Lumber.

Jeff Watson
07-22-2003, 12:13 PM
Guys where is this new Woodcraft store in Indy? I just went to there site and they don't have a listing for a new store in Indy. Did it just open?