PDA

View Full Version : 3 1/4 HP Router availability

Mike Kelly
08-29-2021, 1:47 PM
I just noticed that the Bora Portamate PM-P254 router is available again on Amazon and Woodcraft for anyone wanting replacement for broken Porter Cable.

Dave Sabo
08-29-2021, 2:15 PM
I just noticed that the Bora Portamate PM-P254 router is available again on Amazon and Woodcraft for anyone wanting replacement for broken Porter Cable.

believe it’s being discontinued / superseded - hence, the close out pricing.

Charles Coolidge
08-30-2021, 9:50 AM
Here's the new model Bora

https://boratool.com/blog/bora-tool-launches-soft-start-router-motor/

“In updating our old router motor model, we’re making it easier than ever for anyone who works with wood to build something amazing,” says Rod Bonham, Product Manager for BORA® Tool. “What’s great about this new model is that you can buy the components separately, or together as a complete machine. You’ve got flexibility now in how you use it, which is so important in woodworking.”

Key features of the PM-6200 Router Motor include:

3.25 Variable Speed
Soft start and variable speed dial ensure complete control
Electronic speed control maintains constant speed under load
15 AMP motor offers 10,000 to 22,000 RPM for smooth routing
4.2” diameter motor for easy use with router lifts
Precision ER collets for secure, accurate routing
¼” and ½” collets and offset wrenches included

Jamie Buxton
08-30-2021, 10:17 AM
What are the differences between the new and the old model? I see soft-start. Any other?

Charles Coolidge
08-30-2021, 10:55 AM
I have the old model, it already has soft start so feature wise I don't see any difference. They have redesigned the whole upper housing, moved the on/off switch.

Mike Kelly
08-30-2021, 11:33 AM
Looks like the upper housing has changed and they have ER collets. The advertised price is $299. I guess Woodcraft and Amazon are getting rid of old stock they have "found" and their prices are below $220 which is a lot better than the $500 to $600 found on E bay 6 months ago. Looks like a great improvement and price for the only known replacement for CNC and router table lifts. https://boratool.com/soft-start-router-motor

Jim Becker
08-30-2021, 11:53 AM
ER collets being available is "yuge" IMHO.

Charles Coolidge
08-30-2021, 12:01 PM
Agree the ER collets is a major upgrade. Maybe speaks to improved spindle accuracy (runout) which was a complaint of the older model.

Andy D Jones
08-30-2021, 3:37 PM
Do they say what series ER collets it accepts?

ER collets are very common in metalworking, especially milling, and CNC equipment, and are available for a wide variety of tool shank sizes (within the limits of the series).

I don't know that ER collets are intrinsically more accurate than similar style router collets. There are cheap ER collets available online that probably aren't any better than run of the mill router collets.

-- Andy - Arlington TX