PDA

View Full Version : Lowes customer service.......good

Rick Potter
08-27-2021, 2:33 AM
Two years ago I bought one of those small quiet compressors from Lowes. One HP, 4 gallon, 120PSI. It had a three year guarantee sticker on it, and just had light use for the two years. Perfect for brad guns etc. in the shop.

Last week it decided to dump the air whenever it cycled off. Air would release somewhere in the plastic enclosed switch area. I checked connections, and the pressure bleed. It was probably an O ring or something like that. I was ready to take it apart, but decided if I did and couldn't fix it they would never honor the guarantee. So I took it to the store after spending a couple hours trying to contact the special phone numbers for servicing and such.

With loins fully girded for battle, I walked in the store to find no one available for customer service or to take the machine for repairs. I was directed to the return counter where I showed the receipt and the 3 year sticker on the machine. After a quick phone call to a manager, they gave me a choice of taking a new one or a refund. Wow, that's quick and easy.

I checked out the new ones, which looked identical, except they had less HP, less CFM @ 90#, and a ONE year sticker on them. I took the refund.

Cudos to the Upland Lowes store, shame on the Lowes non existent service on their special phone numbers. The recording even noted the service dept. was closed for Covid, and there was a special number to call just to get the new phone number that they would not answer.

Next stop was HD where I found a very similar machine for just a few bucks more, with 150 PSI, slightly larger tank, more CFM @ 90, and a 3 year guarantee. And, I just happen to have a 15% off coupon. Gonna order it online along with one of those adjustable benches in a couple weeks, so I can get the discount on both.

Perry Hilbert Jr
08-27-2021, 6:21 AM
One of the problems with all these college degree management/sales types is that they can't seem to keep track of what the other departments are doing to coordinate things. They sell small finger hole sliding door pulls that are 3/4 inch in diameter. I use them as combustion cup liners in the holiday incense burners I make. Well they had on line 4 of them for $1.19, made of steel. which was a fair price for the items, except when I tried to order to the store, they wanted an extra $7.00 for shipping the item to the store. something like $12 to ship it to my house. Well I thought about it for a bit and then tried to order a dozen of the packages to be shipped to the store. OMG, they wanted $7.00 for each package. I went in and talked the customer service and they refused to budge. So I went on line and found a close out from some hardware company and ordered 50 of them, made of solid brass for $6 and that included shipping. I have always preferred Lowes over Home Depot, For some reason, the only deals at Home Depot are when they have a special sale. Otherwise, Lowes is normally cheaper. I do now have a neighbor down the road who works at Lowes as a low level supervisor. When I go to the store and talk to her, she makes things happen. When Mrs. wanted drapery hardware that needed to be ordered from the Lowes warehouse, there was no shipping charge for them to be sent to the store for pickup. If I need something now, I just tell her and in a few days, I get a call from Customer service that the item is ready for payment and pickup.

Richard Hart
08-27-2021, 1:55 PM
Lowe's couldn't care less around here... ask for help and you get the deer in the headlights look. That, and always out of stock.

Home depot is the diametric opposite, but they're 50 mi. away.

Scott Clausen
08-27-2021, 5:06 PM
Lowes decided to go "woke" so I go to HD only now. They are across the street from each other so no big deal.

Doug Garson
08-27-2021, 7:04 PM
Lowes decided to go "woke" so I go to HD only now. They are across the street from each other so no big deal.
The Oxford dictionary defines woke as " alert to injustice in society, especially racism.", what's your objection to that or do you have a different definition?

Richard Hart
08-27-2021, 7:10 PM

Aha! They did? That's the end of my patronage, period.
I'd rather pay more at the local businesses anyway-and not have to drive, use up what little energy I have, just to find out said item is never in stock when the website doesn't jive with the store.
HD? 50 mi. away but knowledgeable, helpful folks at the closest store and they have Milwaukee. Lowe's has junk in comparison except Bosch.
Online order from HD? At my door in two days and they use Fedex. Score!

Richard Hart
08-27-2021, 7:13 PM
The Oxford dictionary defines woke as " alert to injustice in society, especially racism.", what's your objection to that or do you have a different definition?

I have mine but I'm not walking into a powder magazine with a lighted blowtorch! 🔥

Wade Lippman
09-02-2021, 8:42 PM
Lowes donated $1,000 worth of lumber for my son's Eagle project. I always give them the benefit of the doubt.

Wade Lippman
09-02-2021, 8:47 PM
When used as an insult it implies that is no social injustice.

Doug Garson
09-02-2021, 11:27 PM
When used as an insult it implies that is no social injustice.
Not sure I understand what you mean but I think we are straying off the topic the OP raised. Maybe I'm lucky or just not easily annoyed but I don't recall any really bad experience with any retailer. My experience with Lowes has been positive, a few years ago I was shopping for a Bosch grinder and found a better price with a local tool store, I asked Lowes if they would price match and they did plus a further 10% off with no resistance, I've also returned items to Lowes again with no resistance. I sometimes wonder if those who have issues, bring it upon themselves with negative attitudes or just bad luck dealing with an a** hole manager or one just having a bad day.

Ron Selzer
09-02-2021, 11:57 PM
When Menards opened up locally was a good day for me.
Too many managers at local Lowes with crap attitude
Only once did Menards really get too me, lost count a long time ago about Lowes managers. Some damn good employees, however could not make up for management.

Roger Feeley
09-03-2021, 9:49 AM
We have a running joke in our family that any store that makes me mad will soon go out of business. This is based on quite a few instances where a place angered me and then failed. I’m guessing that there are several possibilities:
1. I am really very patient. Any place that manages to tick me off would have to be pretty bad.
2. Maybe they are swirling the drain already and their poor attitude come from impending unemployment.

Anyway, I’ve had great experiences with both Lowe’s and HD. That said, I still like to go to my little neighborhood hardware store first. Browns hardware is downtown in Falls Church. When Hugh Brown passed, he put the store into a trust run by the employees. He had no children and realized that his little store helps bind the community together.

Stephen Rosenthal
09-03-2021, 11:34 AM
I don’t buy a lot from Lowe’s or HD, mostly hardware, plumbing/electrical/painting supplies, etc. Never had an issue at either place if I needed to return something. Customer service at both places has always been efficient and friendly. I do find that their websites sometimes do not reflect the realities of their current inventory, but a lot of websites do once-a-day (usually overnight when they’re closed) updating, so I don’t get bent out of shape if it’s not accurate.