PDA

View Full Version : Shelixl cutter head for Bridgewood 15" planer

Edward Lavelle
08-27-2021, 12:32 AM
Any thoughts about installing a Shelix cutter head on a Bridgewood 15" planer? Would this be gilding the lily?

Thanks for the anticipated input,

Ed

Bobby Robbinett
08-27-2021, 6:54 AM
Any thoughts about installing a Shelix cutter head on a Bridgewood 15" planer? Would this be gilding the lily?

Thanks for the anticipated input,

Ed

I plan to install a shelix on my 15” Bridgewood BW15p sometime soon. For now I have a self set knife package that I am using on it with great results. It cost about the same as the shelix but is a lot easier to install. Now anytime I want to change my knives it only takes a few minutes. Same price but easier install. I like the quality of a straight knife finish just fine. If you go with the shelix I would suggest replacing the bearings on the cutterhead and possibly the bearing blocks and upgrade your outfeed roller to a rubber outfeed roller while you are at it. You can get the rubber outfeed roller from Grizzly for under $150 delivered. I would also recommend changing the gear box oil and installing a new seal or gasket. A must have to me would also be a Rotacator for making sure that your bed is perfectly parallel to your cutterhead. This will come in handy whether you install a spiral cutterhead or not. Plus you can use it on other machines. These cost about $125 delivered from Grizz or Amazon. Good luck!

Edward Lavelle
08-27-2021, 7:12 PM
bby thank you very much for the information and recommendations. I am very new to working with machinery as you will be able to tell by my next few questions So any help will be of great benefit to me. My planer recently stopped working and gentlemen on this site seem to think that the capacitor needs to be replaced. Where on the motor will I find the capacitor and where do I get a new one? Can you tell me what model shelix cutter head I need for my Bridgewood 15", what bearing and bearing blocks I need and where to get them. Any other gratuitous advise will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ed