PDA

View Full Version : Now this is a saw blade

Lee Schierer
08-26-2021, 11:25 PM
We were in Redcrest, CA today and saw this saw blade.
This blade was 60+ inches across with replaceable teeth. It is a ripping blade.

Tai Fu
08-27-2021, 1:38 AM
I guess these are for sawmills. I think sawmill blades are quite expensive and so they are often sharpened or whatever and not simply thrown out when dull. If they have replaceable inserts I wonder what the kerf on one of these are.. There are insert milling machine tooling out there anyways where the insert can be replaced.

michael langman
08-27-2021, 1:06 PM
For the size of the blade the 2 pin holes that drive the blade at the arbor hole seem kid of small. I might be missing something though.

Tai Fu
08-27-2021, 1:16 PM
Well, it is a 60" blade, so it looks like the arbor is probably good 2 or 3 inches in diameter. I mean that's pretty massive if you think about it, and with the two hole for positive drive, I think it's enough.

Andy D Jones
08-27-2021, 5:01 PM
The two pins may have been effectively shear pins to protect the blade (body) and shaft from damage in case of a mishap. If the shaft snaps, that blade becomes a wheel that's gonna crash/roll through hell and high water 'till it comes to rest, somewhere of it's own choosing.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

Bill Dufour
08-27-2021, 7:20 PM
or some reason I could not find any pictures of the bandsaw blades at the Scotia, Ca mill. So here is a baby cousin.
Bill D.

https://www.core77.com/posts/52945/Heres-How-to-Sharpen-a-Gigantic-50-Foot-Bandsaw-Blade

Jerry Bruette
08-27-2021, 7:21 PM
The pulp mill I used to work at had a similar blade. The two holes are for shear pins as mentioned above. The inserts fit into a sort of sliding dovetail and then there were two rivets that held it in. Sometimes a tooth would come loose and go flying. We tightened the blade on the arbor with about a 4 foot wrench.

Brian Tymchak
08-27-2021, 8:04 PM
Would hate to have to clean the pitch off that sucker....

Eric Arnsdorff
08-27-2021, 8:29 PM
My grandad and dad had a sawmill when I was growing up. This is the kind of blade that was used. I took it for granted when I was a kid but that is quite a menacing saw!
They do have inserts and we would also sharpen them in place.

Ed Aumiller
08-27-2021, 9:04 PM
"Would hate to have to clean the pitch off that sucker.."
On a "00 Frick" sawmill that my father had with a 52" blade... Never had to remove pitch from it and he cut tens of thousands board feet on it...pine & hemlock

Removed teeth to sharpen them and occasionally he had the blade "hammered" so it would not wobble when up to speed...

Learned when I was 12 years old and "off bearing" (removing board or slab after it was cut off of log) that you do not wear gloves when doing it...

michael langman
08-27-2021, 9:49 PM
Shear pins does make sense. It would save alot of teeth from damage in case the blade hit something hard.