View Full Version : Wenge Wood Spider

Lawrence Duckworth
08-26-2021, 8:18 PM
:) wenge wood....

John K Jordan
08-26-2021, 9:46 PM
:) wenge wood....

Nice! What sizes are these?

My Lovely Bride would cast daggers your way if I got any ideas from this...

JKJ

Lawrence Duckworth
08-26-2021, 10:08 PM
:D whats your deal with wenge wood? On another thread you kinda knocked it :D.... this spider was done maybe 4/5 yrs ago and I do remember shavings being like little tooth picks sticking to me but other than that the wood seemed okay to work with.

I don't know that I ever measured the size of the spider. maybe 24/30"dia.....

John K Jordan
08-26-2021, 10:23 PM
:D whats your deal with wenge wood? On another thread you kinda knocked it :D....

I've tried, really tried to like wenge since I had a good supply. I just can't, especially with lots of other species on the shelves (like rosewoods, ebonies, dogwood, bloodwood, etc), species I really enjoy turning!

I'll show my wife your picture of the spider on the wall. I'll let you know what she says. I'm pretty sure our 51 years of marriage wouldn't make it to 52 if I brought any spider art into the house!

JKJ

Lawrence Duckworth
08-27-2021, 6:50 AM
Okay, fair enough. Nice to have a selection to choose from and pick favorites. I'm getting my dimensional stuff from /suwanee lumber now. We had a really good source of exotic woods about 6 miles up the road from here but they went out of business a couple yrs ago....

yeah, spiders are intimidating for a lot of people, they startle more people than I would have thought.

roger wiegand
08-27-2021, 7:50 AM
My wife, on the other hand, took one look and announced that she wants one (or more) ! Are the legs fixed or do they have moveable joints?

Kevin Jenness
08-27-2021, 8:11 AM
"I do remember shavings being like little tooth picks sticking to me but other than that the wood seemed okay to work with."

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?

I like your spiders, though the big one seems rather menacing. Shelob lives!

Lawrence Duckworth
08-27-2021, 9:04 AM
My wife, on the other hand, took one look and announced that she wants one (or more) ! Are the legs fixed or do they have moveable joints?

:D nothing moves.

Dave Fritz
08-29-2021, 8:21 AM
Can't imagine making those. Outstanding job. Love them!

Lawrence Duckworth
08-29-2021, 10:23 AM
These aren't that big of a deal to make Dave. I was very new to wood turning when making these, ( I've watched a lot of Captain Eddie videos :) ).I used a sq type carbide bit for the longest time and a Jet 1220vs.