PDA

View Full Version : Need Advise on Planer/Jointer

Glen Altermatt
08-26-2021, 7:23 PM
I'm in need of a planer and jointer and have the opportunity to buy a Makita 2030 combo. 12" planter and 6" jointer cast iron. It needs a set of rollers and they are available from Makita. I can buy it for $250. It has some surface rust but he tells me it runs fine and the blades are good. What do y'all think about the machine? Any input will be appreciated. I would have to travel about 100 miles to pick it up but don't want to if it's not a good buy. From what I have read, it's an old work horse.

Andrew Hughes
08-26-2021, 7:35 PM
If it’s the unit I’m thinking about it’s loud. Both the planer and jointer run on the same motor a single phase motor. Not sure if that is what makes it loud.
I think there’s something specific about the knives to those machines. Be sure to check that.
I have not owned one but heard one running
Good Luck

Kevin Jenness
08-27-2021, 9:28 AM
It's a screamer for sure, like the 2040 planer I used to have which gave an excellent finish surface with minor snipe but was underpowered.
The jointer appears to have a fixed outfeed table which will make knife setting more challenging, and at 6" will limit the width of stock you can face.

Parts availability will be limited. $250 seems reasonable. You can get the rollers recovered by Western Roller and other vendors.

Mark Wooden
08-27-2021, 9:49 AM
Used one extensively in a shop where I worked. Yes, a little loud but pound for pound an excellent combo machine. when knives are kept sharp it will provide a very smooth finish and the jointer bed is nice and long, something I like. As I remember, chip collection was a problem though.
if it's for a home shop, a real nice compact machine

Warren Lake
08-27-2021, 11:49 AM
used one of those 40 years ago. It was loud and screamed as everyone said, underpowered a bit as well but they were working pine mostly. It was too low as well even raised up but thats easy to mcgiver. Over all it did all it was needed to do and pretty well.

Glen Altermatt
08-27-2021, 5:11 PM
Thanks to all of you for the input but he sold it last night before I could get there.

Mike Kees
08-28-2021, 12:31 PM
Glen I feel your pain. Do your research first and figure out a "short list" complete with values of said machines then when you spot one of the targets, POUNCE. The first time we should hear about it is the gloat after you bring the bargain home. Hope you find another good one soon. Good luck.