PDA

View Full Version : Fixing Woodbridge Planer

Edward Lavelle
08-25-2021, 7:34 PM
I have a 15" Woodbridge planer aka Auto-Feed Precision Planer. It was working fine until it wasn't. When I hit the start button it just hums like what you might expect during aa brown-out. I have checked and I have found no obstructions but noting is turning. Any help would be most appreciated.

Ed (the unkowing one)

Matt Day
08-25-2021, 7:39 PM
Check capacitors. Remove belts and make sure everything is spinning as it should - bearing check.

Mikail Khan
08-25-2021, 7:45 PM
+1 on capacitor.

Check for bulges if you don't have a tester.

Should be an easy fix.

MK

Ron Selzer
08-25-2021, 9:11 PM
replace all capacitors
then if not running right check for other issues
good luck
Ron

Paul F Franklin
08-25-2021, 10:02 PM
If it's not the start cap it could be dust in the centrifugal start switch. If it's not a totally enclosed motor, you can usually blow out the area of the switch with compressed air. It's at the end of the motor opposite the shaft.

Bill Dufour
08-25-2021, 11:55 PM
Is this ac or ac/dc motor?
Bill D

Edward Lavelle
08-26-2021, 11:42 AM
This is my first time here. It is impressive how much help you have afforded a newby. Thank you all very much. I will pull the motor and check out the possible solutions you have suggested. Incidently, any thoughts about installing a Shelix cutter head once I get the planer running?

Matt Day
08-26-2021, 7:42 PM
Cost/benefit of a helical head is up to you.

Mikail Khan
08-26-2021, 7:47 PM
Not sure how your planer is made. Capacitors are normally accessible under small covers screwed to motor. You just have to unscrew the covers to check them. May not need to pull motor. Consider removing belts and trying to start to confirm problem is with motor/electrical system.

Jim Andrew
08-26-2021, 9:53 PM
Before you take the planer apart make sure there is no reset button. If you have an owners manual, read that part. My Grizzly 15" will overheat if you try to run a load of lumber through it, and will shut down. Have to wait for it to cool, and press the reset button.

Bill Dufour
08-27-2021, 12:17 AM
First and easiest step is to pull the plug and use a meter to verify you have correct voltage at the outlet. Either 120 0r 240. If good plug it in and verify voltage to the in terminals on the switch input terminals.
Bill D