PDA

View Full Version : Latest finds-not too bad

Richard Hart
08-24-2021, 3:14 PM
Block on ebay for $8. All I had to do was sharpen. (#6 was my dad's)

This look good but everything, even the screw is severely pitted. This is before and looked good in the pic...

This is the after:

You can see how I got tripped up. I'm big on looks but after the overhaul, cuts like a razor. Tote isn't done yet.

FB Marketplace a few days later:

Went and grabbed them before the guy changed his mind! The orange has most of the japanning and I'm working on it now, it's looking really good so far. (now that I got smart and got a wire wheel for the bench grinder instead of suicide by drill mounted brush!)

10$ Handyman, how can you pass that up? This is after overhaul. Find at local antique mall.

Pretty good for a newbie?

I'm enjoying this thoroughly... much, much easier to find than the antique radios that I restore. I'm not into "the chase" but this is kinder and gentler than radios, and I can restore in 1-2 nights with no added $$$. And they'll all shave an arm. <g>

Rich

michael langman
08-24-2021, 4:17 PM
My first used plane was a #4 handyman with a broken handle.

Once I got it sharpened and tuned it cut really well.

Andrew Pitonyak
08-27-2021, 10:06 AM
I am impressed, very nice.... especially if they work well after you sharpened them up.

Jim Koepke
08-27-2021, 11:29 AM
Good job Richard. Much of my plane knowledge came from restoring rust buckets and junk finds.

You may find some helpful information in the Neanderthal wisdom FAQs > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?103805

At one time a lot of my time was spent restoring old tools to sell. It helped raise money to buy a few new tools.

jtk