PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly 0570 Bandsaw?

Jake Helmboldt
01-12-2006, 4:55 PM
I can't find much info on Grizzly's G0570 14" steel frame bandsaw. They are discontinuing it, I assume since it was too close in price to the larger 17" 0513. But the price is really appealing now that it is on closeout. But I'd like to find some feedback on it before jumping in blind. Anyone w/ experience with it or who have even taken a first-hand look at one?

I am leaning towards that, the 14" Powermatic, or the Delta 14" X5. Any input would be great comparing those three. The only downside to the Grizz offhand is the ~8" resaw limit, but I don't think that is a big deal right now. Maybe down the road I'll find I need more capacity, but I think I'll want to step up to a bigger motor if I'm sawing something that big anyway.

JH

Vaughn McMillan
01-12-2006, 5:10 PM
Welcome to the Creek, Jake. Sounds like you're going through one of the perennial shopping decisions many of us here have gone through.

I don't have any experience with the G0570, but perhaps others here will chime in. Personally, I recently went with the Shop Fox equivalent of the G0555 with the 6" riser kit. I was initially thinking I'd have no need for the full 12" resaw capacity, and sure enough, less than two months after getting it, I'm working on a project that absolutely needs the full resaw capacity. Even with the reduced price for the G0570, you could spend less money on the G0555 with a riser, mobile base, and extra (good) blades. You might even have enough money left over to drop a 2 hp motor in that puppy, then you'd be cutting circles around the G0570.

Of course, this is personal opinion, and your mileage may vary. ;)

Again, welcome...

- Vaughn

Cecil Arnold
01-12-2006, 5:39 PM
Don't know about the saw, but welcome to the creek.

JayStPeter
01-12-2006, 5:47 PM
Jake,
Welcome.

I can't find much info on Grizzly's G0570 14" steel frame bandsaw. They are discontinuing it, I assume since it was too close in price to the larger 17" 0513.

It looks like they actually came out with another (G0457) that has more resaw capacity and is even closer in price to the G0513.
I have a G0513 and think it's one of the best deals around. Bandsaws are one of the toughest decisions to make.

Jay

Jake Helmboldt
01-12-2006, 5:54 PM
Bandsaws are one of the toughest decisions to make.

Jay

you got that right!:mad:

I'm gonna end up w/ a soft spot on my head from banging it against the wall. And a soft spot in my wallet from rationalizing that "hey, for a couple hundred more I can...., but then I'm close to xxxx at that price, so for only another hundred or so why not...." Ahhhhhhhhh!

Cecil Arnold
01-12-2006, 5:58 PM
Well if that's the case, just suck it up and buy a MM.

John Bailey
01-12-2006, 6:05 PM
My thoughts are that a bandsaw with only 8" of resaw is only good if it is bought for a specialized, continuing job. If one is buying a saw to be used for a variety of jobs, then you should go with a higher resaw capacity. I've been researching for over a year, and yes, I have that soft spot. Everyone that has posted has said the same thing, they are either happy with the extra resaw, or wish they had it. That's why the 14" cast iron models are so popular. They are inexpensive, but still give the option for 12" of resaw. Understand, I don't have one yet, so I could be wrong.

Oh, by the way, welcome to the "Creek."

John

Tim Marks
01-12-2006, 6:57 PM
And a soft spot in my wallet from rationalizing that "hey, for a couple hundred more I can...
Seriously, Jake (mOOn?), I would seriously consider it if I were you. I have the Rikon 14, which is a steel frame saw similar to the Grizz 0570. Don't get me wrong, it is a great saw, and does a great job.

But comparing it side by side with the big boys, it just is missing the features and capability. Everyone recommends buying the best TS you can afford, since it is the cornerstone of your shop. I would recommend this with a bandsaw as well: it is amazing the stuff that you can do with a BS; it is not just for cutting comples curves and resawing.

A BS is truely a pleasure to use and I wish that I had been forsighted enough to spend an extra 200-300 and get a 17 or 18" saw. I am sure that I will do this ugrade in a year or two. I have a basement shop, which seriously limits the size (and weight) of my tools, but I am pretty sure I could have easily got a G0513 down the steps.

john mclane
01-12-2006, 8:50 PM
Jake I'm in the same ballpark as you. I had a thread about 3 weeks ago with pretty much the same choices you are making. The local Woodcraft store let me use the 14 in Powermatic with a riser that was in their classroom. It had a good blade. they had to cut some 6 inch square mahagony down for another customer and had me take an end slice off. To my inexperienced view it cut great; no slowing, straight cut, easy set up. I was able to compare the feature side by side with 14 " Delta and a Shopfox and a 16" Rikon. I did not get to use all the saws to cut wood. I wich I could use or view a Grizzley as well since a lot of people have recommended them.

They did not have any new Powermatic at the shop so gave me some more time to do research. I did put a request that they call me when the next order does come in.

I have looked in the internet for the europan saws and love the reviews but for my hobby use and beginner level I cannot justify those costs. Good luck making a decision.

Ken McColly
01-12-2006, 9:03 PM
Jake - I have one and am very satisfied with it. Have not done any resawing on it, as I have a bigger saw for that. Mainly use it for cutting curves, patterns, etc.

Ken

Jake Helmboldt
01-12-2006, 9:09 PM
Well if that's the case, just suck it up and buy a MM.

So I've got Cecil down for a $100 contribution and Tim down for a $50 contribution to my upgraded bandsaw purchase fund.;)

You guys are killing me. Just when I thought I'd come back down to reality and might escape for half a grand. This is worse than being an adolescent all over again. "Go on, do it, do it"

Thanks for the welcomes. You guys just like to see how soon you can get the new guys to unload a lot of cash. Now the wife part of the equation....hmmm.

JH

Vaughn McMillan
01-12-2006, 9:17 PM
...You guys just like to see how soon you can get the new guys to unload a lot of cash. Now the wife part of the equation....hmmm.

JH Nah, we do it to the old-timers, too. We love to spend other peoples' money...new, old, whatever, as long as it's not ours. :p

Like you, I agonized over spending more than I'd originally planned, but this quote from a fellow Creeker helped me a lot in making my bandsaw decision:

"Buyer's remorse has only struck me when I have settled for less than I thought I needed, never when I have gone for possibly more." Dan Forman

Good luck in the hunt, and remember, it's not a gloat until we see pics of the new saw...whatever you decide to get.

- Vaughn