PDA

View Full Version : Glue for segment bowls

Tim Elett
08-21-2021, 6:17 PM
I worked for a shop that used Durham's rock hard water putty a lot for filler and I thought it was used for gluing cutting blocks, can it be used for segment rings,or is tight bond best.

Robert Hayward
08-21-2021, 7:24 PM
My experience with Durham's is that it is not, or at least was not years ago, water resistant and not intended to be used as a glue. While it does bond with several different materials when used as a filler it is not strong enough to act as a glue in my opinion.

Sam Force
08-21-2021, 7:49 PM
Titebond II is what I prefer

Tim Elett
08-22-2021, 5:56 AM
Thanks I,ll keep using the right bond.

Barry McFadden
08-22-2021, 10:12 AM
I like the original Gorilla Glue for segment rings. I find that other glues don't hold well with some of the exotic woods that can tend to be a little oily...

Mel Fulks
08-22-2021, 10:35 AM
My experience with Durham's is that it is not, or at least was not years ago, water resistant and not intended to be used as a glue. While it does bond with several different materials when used as a filler it is not strong enough to act as a glue in my opinion.

Agree. Some pattern making shops use Durham’s to fill mahogany pores before lacquering, works well for that. But I doubt it’s really
needed.

Reed Gray
08-22-2021, 12:49 PM
I would not use the urethane glues. Like CA glue, it does not take shock loads very well. As near as I can tell, the exotics that are difficult to glue together because of being oily, the glue holds for a while, but eventually the oil gets the upper edge on the battle to keep a glue joint solid. Even wiping it down with acetone or other solvents only delays the joint failure.

robo hippy