PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Tire Replacement

ChrisA Edwards
08-20-2021, 11:44 AM
The lower tire on my Laguna 14/12 bandsaw failed today. These are about 5 years old.

Do I replace with an OEM part, or are there better alternatives.

Thanks.

Brian Tymchak
08-20-2021, 1:40 PM
I do NOT recommend the Carter blue urethane tires. I put them on my Rikon 14" thinking these would be an upgrade of the OEM tires that needed replaced. They are not wide enough to fill the wheel rim to rim so getting the tire to sit evenly spaced around the wheel was a chore. In fact, it is still a tedious task for me to get the blade to track properly after changing. At some point I'll get fed up enough to switch back to the OEM tires.

John K Jordan
08-20-2021, 1:46 PM
I used Sulpher Grove urethane tires on my 18" Rikon. Fun to install. Work well.

I wouldn't buy directly from Sulpher Grove. They charged me more than the same tires on Amazon.

JKJ

Mikail Khan
08-20-2021, 1:50 PM
I have used blue and orange tires on my 19" grizzly. Think orange tire supplier name was Sulphur Grove. These tires apparantly lose tension over time. I have have had tires from grizzly fail in a year or 2 so 5 years is not bad. Replace both.

MK

ChrisA Edwards
08-20-2021, 2:10 PM
Thanks, ordered a set of Suiphur Grove tires from Amazon.

John K Jordan
08-20-2021, 4:41 PM
I have used blue and orange tires on my 19" grizzly. Think orange tire supplier name was Sulphur Grove. These tires apparantly lose tension over time. I have have had tires from grizzly fail in a year or 2 so 5 years is not bad. Replace both.

MK

I've had the orange Sulpher Grove tires on my Rikon for about five years now with no sign (yet) of degrading.

The were so tight they were difficult to put on. First cut the old off and spun the wheel with a wire brush in a drill to clean the tire. I soaked the new tires in hot water, slipped the tire over the top of a wheel then used thin pry bars to stretch the tire over the rim of the wheel near the bottom.

Matthew Curtis
08-20-2021, 4:52 PM
I called Laguna when I needed new ones for my 18bx. Had them in no time and works great

Bruce Wrenn
08-20-2021, 9:38 PM
Check out "Blue Max" tires. I had a set of Suphur Groves that lasted over 12 years on my Delta 14". Both failed within a week of each other. Because I had another spare set for a different saw, I installed them. Next set will most likely be Blue Maxes.

lowell holmes
08-21-2021, 8:35 PM
I think this might help.

https://www.homedepot.com/s/bandsaw%2520tires?NCNI-5

Zachary Hoyt
08-21-2021, 8:51 PM
I am coming up on 7 years with the orange tires from Sulphur Grove on my 18" Jet, and they still look pretty much new. I use the saw almost daily, and never de-tension it except to change a blade. Also I cut a fair amount of brass on this saw every few months, and those chips get embedded in the lower tire, so I scrape them off after each brass cutting session. I got mine from Amazon too, as I recall.

Myles Moran
08-21-2021, 10:01 PM
I bought a saw of orange tires (urethane) for my bandsaw off eBay from polybelt. They've been excellent, though my only comparison was the mediocre tires that Hitachi had on the saw before. I have to imagine they're the same product others here mentioned but rebranded, bandsaw tires can't be that large of a market.

Dave VanDewerker
08-22-2021, 2:18 PM
I replaced the tires on my 14|12 a couple of years ago with the orange tires from Sulphur Grove. Just be sure to get the tires that are made for the 14|12, they are slightly different than the standard 14 inch tires.

ChrisA Edwards
08-22-2021, 5:19 PM
I replaced the tires on my 14|12 a couple of years ago with the orange tires from Sulphur Grove. Just be sure to get the tires that are made for the 14|12, they are slightly different than the standard 14 inch tires.

Thanks for the heads up, that's exactly what i did.

ChrisA Edwards
08-23-2021, 4:05 PM
Bandsaw arrived a couple of days early. Had to go hunting for one of my mechanics pullers to remove the bottom wheel.

Using the 2"x4" with a couple of dowels method, both tires went on easily and fit the rims perfectly.

The saw runs fine, blade tracks well, but I need to dial the blade in tomorrow to check the drift.

Jim Mackell
08-24-2021, 9:56 AM
Using the 2"x4" with a couple of dowels method, both tires went on easily and fit the rims perfectly.

Could you elaborate?

ChrisA Edwards
08-24-2021, 10:00 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93u25HgYjxs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93u25HgYjxs

Brian Tymchak
08-24-2021, 9:59 PM
Thanks for that link Chris. Think I'll be using that trick when I change out my Carter tires.

Wayne Cannon
08-25-2021, 7:24 AM
Yes. Great jig. Simplifies the job significantly.