PDA

View Full Version : FWW Magazine Oct 2021

Lewis Justis
08-20-2021, 10:16 AM
I have been a FWW subscriber for nearly 35 years, so I understand that keeping the content interesting year after year is a challenge. But, I still eagerly await each new issue. So I just read the latest issue this morning: a 4 page article on setting a stool on fire and calling the result a "finish", and then a 9 page article on wall anchors. I double checked the cover to see if I was reading Better Homes and Gardens, but no, it says FWW on the cover. It may be time to rethink the renewal this year...

Stewart Lang
08-20-2021, 10:21 AM
I have been a FWW subscriber for nearly 35 years, so I understand that keeping the content interesting year after year is a challenge. But, I still eagerly await each new issue. So I just read the latest issue this morning: a 4 page article on setting a stool on fire and calling the result a "finish", and then a 9 page article on wall anchors. I double checked the cover to see if I was reading Better Homes and Gardens, but no, it says FWW on the cover. It may be time to rethink the renewal this year...

Shou sugi ban is indeed a very nice, interesting finish when accomplished well. Not right for every surface, but very tactile.

Edward Weber
08-20-2021, 10:52 AM
Shou sugi ban is primarily intended for exterior cedar siding, there is a chemical reaction that occurs to give the wood it's fire resistant properties and longevity.

Western woodworkers often take other culture's customs and methods of work and take them far beyond what they're original intent was.
Right now Shou sugi ban is all the rage and any project made out of any wood is in danger of someone burning it.

Jeff Roltgen
08-20-2021, 11:28 AM
Lewis, I understand your point. When the 396th article on using spacers on a router table fence to sneak up on cleaner cuts is one of the features in FWW, it is a bit disappointing.
On the other hand, I really dug and learned a few things from the article on the steam-bent torchier lamp with veneer shade. Intuition says an epoxy treatment to a .020"thick piece of veneer = a brittle sheet, yet they flex it just fine - gotta try that!

Again, to your point, content in some of these has been a bit pedestrian as of late. Worse yet, last summer, the editor of Popular Woodworking made a formal statement that a complete revolution was necessary for the magazine in order to fit his political viewpoint. I immediately dropped all contact and subscriptions, since he decided to change it into "Political-Woodworking" magazine.
What a shame. Was it just me, or did others catch this and react similarly?

The minute politics is interjected into the presentation, I'm doing a 180 (just like this forum, and I agree completely). Just hacks me off.
Woodworking should remain a way to escape from the daily grind of politics - we want a neutral, personal-skills building experience for the relaxation, learning and sense of accomplishment, not more politically motivated agendas subliminally programing us to someone else's ideals.
Just destroys the honesty and simplicity inherent in woodworking. In this way, the articles/contents are reduced to simply props to support someone's idealized vision of what the world is really supposed to look like.
Good grief.

Stephen Rosenthal
08-20-2021, 11:39 AM
Well stated, Jeff.

Tom M King
08-20-2021, 11:47 AM
I was a charter subscriber, but didn't renew, sometime in the mid '90's. I remember when the first issue came, where I was, and how excited I was. I spent a lot of money with their advertisers, back then.

Edwin Santos
08-20-2021, 12:21 PM
I try to keep an open mind. Yes, there can be a fair amount of repetitive content in FWW, but if you read closely, there always seems to be something new to learn, and some of the work, like the steam bent torchiere lamp Jeff mentioned, is really inspiring, to me at least. The Gallery section always contains some impressive work. The floating wall shelf they showcased is a fascinating form, and the method of turning four at once on the lathe with the kraft paper joint for knocking it apart later was pretty cool.
Do you think you'd find Mario Rodriguez's article on the Scandinavian table in Better Homes and Gardens?

Some of the FWW articles from a guy named Michael Cullen over the past couple of years have been excellent. I especially liked his articles on his unique approach to bandsawn boxes, texturing with hand tools and milk paint. They did a live webinar demonstration with him last month that was great.

I've also noticed with some of the new contributors, that maybe they are trying to keep current with the younger demographic of woodworkers. This must be why they are showcasing some of the younger YouTube woodworkers, and female ones at that, like Tamar. These woodworkers are more "maker" oriented and cross over into different materials and novel methods more readily than some of us more traditional, older woodworkers.
I don't think this is about politics, or that it is a bad thing, it's just an evolving trend in the craft and it happens in all fields.

It's easy to rank on things, but you can always find the positive, and opportunities for learning if you're willing to look and willing to keep an open mind.

Jerry Wright
08-20-2021, 3:30 PM
Lewis- I suggest that you submit some article ideas to FWW....or better yet an article on one of your classic builds.

John Stankus
08-20-2021, 3:55 PM
L Worse yet, last summer, the editor of Popular Woodworking made a formal statement that a complete revolution was necessary for the magazine in order to fit his political viewpoint. I immediately dropped all contact and subscriptions, since he decided to change it into "Political-Woodworking" magazine.
What a shame. Was it just me, or did others catch this and react similarly?

They switched editors since then. Logan Wittmer who was an assistant editor at Woodsmith took over as Editor in Chief earlier this year (April? ... I think the October issue is his first as chief, but apparently they are still working through stuff in the pipeline). Listening to him on the Shopnotes Podcast he does not seem to have a political agenda.

Remember they got sold (due to bankruptcy) in 2019 and that can entail a challenging transition.

I am curious as to how a woodworking magazine expresses a political viewpoint, but then again I don't often read the editor's column. I'll have to check my issues from last summer to see if I can figure that out, but for me if there is useful information and decent project ideas I'll subscribe.

Edward Weber
08-20-2021, 4:34 PM
Finding and presenting new content every month is difficult.
I have also found myself paging through much more quickly as time goes by.
Things like certain styles of furniture come and go, to stay relevant, they need to write about them like epoxy river tables or the recent Shou sugi ban technique. You might not like it but they need to try and appeal to everyone they can to keep subscriptions up.
FWW has the oldest average age of readers out of all the major publications. They literally need some new readers.
I agree with Jerry Wright, write articles or at least letters voicing your concern. Tell them what you would like to see, typically these publications are open to suggestions and new content from readers.
JMHO

John K Jordan
08-20-2021, 4:51 PM
I dropped my subscription when there was too much reviewing and selling of new tools and not enough how to build skills and make things. I have the digital set so I can look up something if needed. I still enjoy looking through the older issues (i.e. 80's).

Lewis Justis
08-20-2021, 5:30 PM
Thanks everyone for the great discussion and good points on both sides. As I said, I understand the challenge of keeping the content fresh. I suppose since I have been reading FWW for a long time, I remember when it was on an entirely different level than most of the rest of the woodworking magazines, and I never thought I would see an article such as the "wall anchor" spread. I'm not saying that I don't get anything out of it now, or that it is all "fluff" now, just that the overall quality of content is in decline. Thanks again for the discussion.

Bill Space
08-20-2021, 5:53 PM
Part of it could be that as time passes people become more advanced in their abilities, and are looking for more advanced topics than they did initially. So old timers are less likely to enjoy run of the mill content than new people.

Must be a tough business if not a lot of new woodworkers are showing up...

Erik Loza
08-20-2021, 6:01 PM
I just cannot image how tough it must be to try to run a profitable business publishing magazines these days. No matter the audience.

Erik

Richard Coers
08-20-2021, 6:45 PM
I agree completely. Not long ago they did a 6 page article on driving wood screws. Incra solved that fine adjustment to a router fence decades ago. So more pages wasted with a solution to a non problem.

Richard Coers
08-20-2021, 6:48 PM
I just cannot image how tough it must be to try to run a profitable business publishing magazines these days. No matter the audience.

Erik

I worked at Woodworker's Journal for 3 years in the 90s. The only relation to subscribers and profit was in the marketing to advertisers. Advertisers made the magazine profitable and subscribers was just a little gravy. If you didn't have high enough subscriber numbers, the advertisers didn't sign on. That's the reason they have specials and even a fare number of free issues go out so the print numbers look better.

Alan Lightstone
08-21-2021, 8:20 AM
I agree completely. Not long ago they did a 6 page article on driving wood screws. So more pages wasted with a solution to a non problem.

I thought that article redefined OCD. Just stared at it shaking my head. I still subscribe, but find less and less useful. The galleries are great, though. Lots of talented woodworkers out there.

Jerry Wright
08-21-2021, 8:52 AM
Been subscriber from day one, yes I've been at it a long time, have seen most things...and have built lots of complicated pieces. For every one of me that unsubscribed or passed away, FWW is looking for ten folks just starting out.
There are journals for period restorations and duplication of pieces.... a far smaller reader base and hence higher subscription cost. I enjoy and support FWW... I don't blink at the cost of good chisels, so price of FWW doesn't bother me. IMHO

Phil Gaudio
08-21-2021, 8:55 AM

Gee, I thought the Gallery Section was outstanding this month:D

Lewis Justis
08-21-2021, 9:36 AM
Phil, very nice work! The ebony pulls really complement the cherry.

Jim Barkelew
08-21-2021, 9:45 AM
I'm one of those that has every FWW issue on the bookshelf. I know they have to inspire and teach the next generation of woodworkers. I've noticed on Youtube videos of "amazing craftsmanship" have a lot of comments saying how amazing and skilled the person is. I just scratch my head since I saw that kind of stuff 20 year ago in FWW, or what a dumb thing I just saw. Those people are potential FWW readers and need to know about wall hangers.

A few issues ago they had an article that inspired me to get building with a couple of boards I bought 10 years ago.

Jim

glenn bradley
08-21-2021, 10:00 AM
Right now Shou sugi ban is all the rage and any project made out of any wood is in danger of someone burning it.

Does this mean that ridiculous "rustic" thing is finally over !?! :D

Randall J Cox
08-21-2021, 10:12 AM
I have tons of old woodworking mags. Gave away many boxes to local HS woodshop. Still rotate remaining small stacks into the house from the garage for reading. Still go back and read old FWW big size, black and white, etc. Used to take FWW but way to much fluff and recycled articles these days. I'm not into all the latest tools and techniques, just make basic stuff that keeps me happy and busy in my advanced retired age. Randy

Thomas Wilson
08-21-2021, 10:52 AM
I was thinking of starting a thread about how good the current FWW issue is. The Heirloom Box, the Floating Shelf, Mario Rodriguez’s Scandinavian table, the steam bent spiral lamps and of course Phil Gaudio’s piece on page 70. And if you notice they sold some pretty good ads too. This is really topnotch stuff. I enjoyed it.

I am a charter subscriber. This is a strong issue and, I think, a new direction. I am glad for it.

Edward Weber
08-21-2021, 12:34 PM
Does this mean that ridiculous "rustic" thing is finally over !?! :D

I think so, now I'm waiting for the epoxy poured river tables to go away, forever.
That's just my opinion

John TenEyck
08-21-2021, 2:53 PM
Overall quality has decreased for several years IMHO. I, too, thought all those pages on wall anchors was a waste of paper and ink. The magazine was called Fine Woodworking for a reason, or so I thought. There are plenty of gifted younger woodworkers out there. Some of them have been featured in FWW in recent years. They just need to feature more of them. I'm quite surprised I haven't seen a feature article yet on CNC driven work. Or 3D printers. Or were there and I ignored them? In any case, FWW needs to adapt with the times to survive. I just hope they can do it while remaining true to the truly fine woodworking they showcased for many years, the works of so many that inspired me to become a better woodworker.

John

Edward Weber
08-21-2021, 4:25 PM
Overall quality has decreased for several years IMHO. The magazine was called Fine Woodworking for a reason, or so I thought.

John

I have commented on some of their stories online, don't know if they're ever read by anyone who matters. I agree about the content, sometimes the stories would be more at home in an issue of Garage Journal.

Luis G Rodriguez
11-21-2021, 8:48 AM
I just recently subscribed to the magazine unlimited service. I was most interested in having access to the digital library, and so far is pretty awesome! My only complaint so far is that I can only read the digital magazines (1975 to current) using a browser. The iPad app is useless. I get hooked and stay reading so long that my eyes get really sore. It would be awesome to be able to read them on a kindle or such device that are "paper-like" my eyes would be so thankful!

Jack Frederick
11-21-2021, 9:27 AM
I stick with it. I may get an issue and breeze through it, thinking nothing interesting here. Frequently however I will go back and there is always something of interest. I was looking at one of the old issues at our local Re-store and was struck by the pages of ads in the back for wood, services etc. All gone in todays world. So many mags have folded. Now that I know what wall anchors to use, I guess I’ll stick with them. it is the only magazine i still subscribe to.

Jerry Wright
11-21-2021, 11:03 AM
Seems to me that the air on Mt Olympus must be low in oxygen and the view in the valley is obscured by clouds. Otherwise those that have reached the lofty heights of their woodworking experience would not have forgotten how they got there and all of the help they required on the way.

Derek Cohen
11-21-2021, 6:37 PM
I just recently subscribed to the magazine unlimited service. I was most interested in having access to the digital library, and so far is pretty awesome! My only complaint so far is that I can only read the digital magazines (1975 to current) using a browser. The iPad app is useless. I get hooked and stay reading so long that my eyes get really sore. It would be awesome to be able to read them on a kindle or such device that are "paper-like" my eyes would be so thankful!

Many years ago I received the CD collections of FWW and Woodwork magazines, and used this to create PDF files. These were then loaded onto my iPad in Books. It is wonderful to browse old articles, like old friends, on plane flights, in a waiting room, or in bed (where my wife objects to pages being turned).

There is also the FWW app for the iPad. This allows you to download the magazines to read at your leisure.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Jim Becker
11-21-2021, 7:27 PM
Seems to me that the air on Mt Olympus must be low in oxygen and the view in the valley is obscured by clouds. Otherwise those that have reached the lofty heights of their woodworking experience would not have forgotten how they got there and all of the help they required on the way.

I don't think that experienced folks forget how they got there at all. But at some point, there's diminishing value to subscriptions due to cyclic redundancy in articles/projects and even the advertising is less relevant. FW is a fine magazine for sure. There's a chance I might buy a specific issue if there was something I felt was of interest and beneficial to me. I would not re-subscribe, however, and nothing has caught my eye in a long time. That's a subjective thing, but it's absolutely not a cut against a great publication, and one of the few that still survives and thrives.

Ray Newman
11-21-2021, 10:29 PM
Jim Becker: well said and I agree!

Jerry Wright
11-22-2021, 7:21 AM
Jim - interesting. Do you find any woodworking publications worth subscribing to? What publications do you find useful. Might be good advice for the group.

Jim Becker
11-22-2021, 8:42 AM
Jim - interesting. Do you find any woodworking publications worth subscribing to? What publications do you find useful. Might be good advice for the group.
Honestly, I dropped all subscriptions years ago. The constant repetition didn't bring much value...other than maybe interesting reading in the "library" instead of Facebook. But remember, that's a subjective thing. If some deity required me to subscribe to one magazine, it would likely be Fine Woodworking, however. But at this point, it's slim pickins since some of the really decent, but smaller ones are long gone.

Thomas Wilson
11-22-2021, 9:41 AM
I am a charter subscriber to Fine Woodworking. I have a couple of bookshelves of all the back issues. I plan to continue subscribing as long as they publish it. I can only imagine the scene in 10 to 20 years as the daughters are cleaning out the house and come across the chronologically arranged issues with a few years bound in archival covers. They will say to each other nostalgically, “Do you remember how Dad used to pore over every issue when it came?” “Yes, he really liked them. I think Isaac just dumped the big garbage can. I’ll go get it.”

Perhaps my standards are low or my memory of the redundancy is poor or maybe I appreciate the difficulty of the task in the face of advertisers flight from print media, the rise of the internet podcasts, blogs, and influencers, and aging of the woodworking hobbyists, but I still look forward to the new issue. Taunton Press is a family-owned business. The staff is small and getting smaller every year. They rely on reader contributions and a few reliable expert authors to get an issue out every other month. I think it is as good a job as can be done. The newly promoted editor, Mike Pecovich, is looking for new ways to engage new contributors and new subscribers. Except for the preponderance of project articles being about Arts and Crafts or Shaker style (mostly joking Mike), I like his new direction. Perhaps, I should submit an article about Math in Woodworking. I am sure that would draw in the masses.

Alan Lightstone
11-22-2021, 9:57 AM
...Perhaps, I should submit an article about Math in Woodworking. I am sure that would draw in the masses.
I'd read it. :)
MIT Class of '81

Edwin Santos
11-22-2021, 10:45 AM
The newly promoted editor, Mike Pecovich, is looking for new ways to engage new contributors and new subscribers. Except for the preponderance of project articles being about Arts and Crafts or Shaker style (mostly joking Mike), I like his new direction. Perhaps, I should submit an article about Math in Woodworking. I am sure that would draw in the masses.

Since you mentioned Pekovich, I'll share a story. About two years ago, an issue showed up where Mike Pekovich was demonstrating methods of dovetails. Of course I groaned and thought here we go for the 1,000th time.

Upon closer inspection, his method of using a mini flush trim router bit with a platform jig to clean up to the pin board baseline was not something I've ever seen. I had to re-read it for the second time to realize the opportunity that was right in front of me. I have since adapted the technique to the router table and it has saved me hours of chisel work at a bench. Now the only time I break out a chisel for hand cut dovetails with razor thin pins is when I am cleaning out the space between tails.

My point, don't be so sure you're looking at repetitive content. The method of work in some of these articles is novel and sometimes you have to look a little harder to see there's gold on the floor. Of course, at that point you also have to be willing to bend over and pick it up :)

Todd Zucker
11-22-2021, 8:37 PM
I built that router jig a couple of weeks ago. Found it while flipping through recent issues. It is great and also got me more interested in trim routers and led me to Steve Latta’s wall cabinet, which led me back to moulding planes.

I read the issues cover to cover when they arrive and also enjoy the videos and other digital content.

It must be really hard to put together a magazine on a schedule with content that appeals to folks with all levels of experience and keep them interested. I think they do a great job.

Thomas Wilson
11-23-2021, 8:49 AM
I'd read it. :)
MIT Class of '81
Alan, you had the good sense to change direction a bit in ‘82. I on the other hand kept digging a deeper and deeper hole. Georgia Tech ‘74, ‘76, and ‘09. I will remember you when I have this Math in Woodworking urge again and instead of an article, I will make it a PM. The readership will be unchanged.

Jim Becker
11-23-2021, 10:15 AM
Thomas, I think your idea of an article that speaks about math in woodworking is a sound one. A 'Tuber that I follow who does post frame structures constantly is saying "Math doesn't lie" and he uses that to insure the best quality and the straightest buildings he executes on. The same is ultimately true in furniture and cabinet-making, but many of us "wing it" rather than do the actual math. In my case, I just plain do not enjoy it, but...