PDA

View Full Version : 10 years ago today - I retired!

Rich Engelhardt
08-19-2021, 9:55 PM
I can't believe it's been ten years already!

The last ten years sure went by faster than the first ten years i worked.
I can still remember counting the days until I qualified for three weeks vacation @ ten years!
LOL!

It's been - different. Not quite what I expected.

Bruce Page
08-19-2021, 10:03 PM
I hear you! I passed the 10 year mark last December. It seems like last week.
I do get a chuckle when I'm occasionally stuck in rush hour traffic, thankful that I don't have to deal with it very often.

Congrats!

Doug Garson
08-19-2021, 10:17 PM
Yeah, I'm about ten years into retirement, first year or so I would have considered any chance to go back, now I can't think of a reason why I would even consider it.

Jim Koepke
08-20-2021, 1:15 AM
My retirement is closing in on 14 years.

There wasn't much of a desire to return. Would have done short term consults. Every time an opportunity shows it self my thoughts turn to how much pleasure comes from not having to get up, get dressed, get out and drive to work every morning.

A note to the young ones reading this, the sooner you start saving for retirement, the sooner you can retire.

jtk

Doug Garson
08-20-2021, 2:16 AM
A note to the young ones reading this, the sooner you start saving for retirement, the sooner you can retire.jtk
Yes and the other note is a quote from the Wealthy Barber "pay yourself first" by that he means don't invest for your retirement with what's left at the end of the month, invest first and then live off what's left. If you put away say 10% at the beginning of each month it won't take long before you adjust and don't notice it's gone (until you retire). If you wait until the end of the month to invest for retirement you will fail.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wealthy_Barber

Myk Rian
08-20-2021, 8:05 AM
17 years ago I cut my ties with Ford after 35 years. Loved the job, hated the 1 hr drive.
I almost didn't make it past 1 year due to a heart attack.

Rob Luter
08-20-2021, 8:45 AM
I'm on final approach. 4 or 5 years to retirement depending on how much fun I'm having. My quandary is that I like what I do and who I do it with (most days). I like having a purpose.

Jim Becker
08-20-2021, 9:07 AM
I'm coming up on 4 years on 1 October. 'Seems like just yesterday or more likely eons ago. Still busier than when I was employed full time. LOL

George Yetka
08-20-2021, 9:16 AM
Im 39. 5 years of part time and 22 years of full time into working and have another 30 to go. Gotta love family business. Most of the years so far have been underpaid and 60 hour weeks.

Dave Mills
08-20-2021, 9:29 AM
A note to the young ones reading this, the sooner you start saving for retirement, the sooner you can retire.

I retired at 49, and am now 13 years into it. Couldn't agree more with the above. You can always work if you love your job, but having the ability to get out when you want to is priceless.

John K Jordan
08-20-2021, 9:34 AM
I can recommend retirement. I retired about 15 years ago at age 56. This was after 30 years with the a National Lab.

I had the absolute best job in the world, did only the work I wanted, on my own schedule, and wherever I decided was appropriate - most of the time it was in my basement studio. This was one corner.

I stayed busier than I ever imagined and absolutely loved the work. But I love retirement more.

One thing, don't retire unless you have lots of interests away from the work. I know too many people who retired then with nothing to do wondered around looking lost, sat on the couch, watched a lot of TV, puttered around in the yard, and gained a lot of weight.

JKJ

Jack Frederick
08-20-2021, 10:13 AM
Just last week my wife and I were in the kitchen and we were laughing. “This retirement is not bad.” Soon to be 73 I am a 3 yrs into retirement. I don’t miss the airports. I do miss the people. Oh, well, out to the shop.

Keith Outten
08-20-2021, 10:47 AM
Eight years for me but I still consider myself semi-retired because of my sign business. I do enjoy the freedom to decide what I am going to do each day, mostly because if I do have an active sign job in my shop I generally control the schedule. John is right, it is necessary to have plenty of interests to keep both mind and body busy. I would be a basket case without my workshop. Between sign projects I have recently started making garden gnomes and holiday decorations just for fun.

463314 463315

I just ordered three more sets of skeleton plans and have 59 unique garden gnomes and holiday decorations ready to start machining.

Jackie and I do get out several times per week even if it is just a trip to the store or to go out to lunch.

Rod Sheridan
08-20-2021, 10:49 AM
I'm on final approach. 4 or 5 years to retirement depending on how much fun I'm having. My quandary is that I like what I do and who I do it with (most days). I like having a purpose.

Rob, I had the same approach until I realized that the sooner I retired the longer my retirement would be…..Rod.

Rod Sheridan
08-20-2021, 10:52 AM
Geez, I’m surrounded by geezers!

Looks in mirror, never mind😀

Glad you’re enjoying retirement Rich………Regards, Rod.

Michael Weber
08-20-2021, 11:13 AM
I retired at 67 after 43 years as a tech in an industrial R&D lab. Uncommonly fortunate to have a job almost perfect for someone with my abilities and disabilities. After retirement I often dreamed I was still working though retired and not being paid. I simply showed up as usual and no co-workers seemed to find that strange. :rolleyes: After 8 years that doesn’t happen but not long ago I had one where I was visiting the lab and got upset about the failed maintenance of a gas calorimeter that was old when I was hired :mad:. Life and emotional needs are funny things. I miss the accomplishments and the and respect I got from my bosses and co-workers but things and circumstances change. I continue to be fortunate in retirement :)

Jim Koepke
08-20-2021, 5:00 PM
After retirement I often dreamed I was still working though retired and not being paid.

One of my retired co-workers called those work-mares. (as in nightmares)

In 14 years only one or two of those have come my way.

jtk

Dennis Peacock
08-20-2021, 5:10 PM
I'm about 5 years away from retiring. I long for the day.

Erik Loza
08-20-2021, 5:56 PM
...I do miss the people...

My dad began to decline health-wise (not cognitively, but more motivation to do things from a suddenly sedentary lifestyle) within five years or so of retiring from his teaching job. He had pre-existing health issues that contributed to his passing but both my brother and I feel strongly that if Dad had stayed on in some capacity with his school, there would have been more motivation for him to get up every day. School was his whole social circle. Once he retired, those people no longer were present in his life. Moral of this story being "Have a plan" ahead of time.

My wife actually have this conversation pretty often. She has a huge social circle and would happily retire tomorrow if she could. I, on the other hand, want to work until the day I drop dead.

Erik

Adam Grund
08-20-2021, 6:52 PM
I, on the other hand, want to work until the day I drop dead.

Erik

I was once of this thought. I’m not sure if it came with getting older (as ‘older’ as you can get at 36..) or just gaining a family- wife then kids- but I’m on the retire as early as possible train now. My career isn’t really something I can say I truly enjoy- more just was in the family and it was what I knew and now I make a pretty good living at it, but it’s still just a grueling job with stresses of meeting my income desires every week.
I long for a day in the future where I’ll have time to chase an activity for the enjoyment of it rather than be too tired or stressed from work and all the other necessities that go along with life to think about such a thing.

Bruce Wrenn
08-20-2021, 9:24 PM
Retired four years ago this November. Worked for myself the last 25 years. Other than that, only held one job for more than eight years. Worked for the same boss at two different companies for a total of 13 years. Treasure the experience of many jobs, and the people I got to meet. Well, most of them. Had a couple of insecure bosses who weren't a pleasure to work for. Can't figure out how I had time to work, based upon my schedule now. Busier than ever, and not making progress on catching up.

Ronald Blue
08-20-2021, 10:09 PM
Interesting perspectives here. Congratulations on the 10 year mark Rich. I'm pulling the plug in the next few months. I haven't set an exact date yet. I really enjoy my job. It was perfect for me. Rarely am I doing the same job two days in a row or in the same location. The down side of that is it can also be in some miserable weather conditions. Blistering hot or bitter cold. I'm still a valued asset and it will be difficult to walk away. I've saw many things in my career and traveled to many places doing my job. Whether working at the south edge of Glacier National Park or on the banks of the Mississippi. I've been taken in by air boat to get to a broken machine and been flown by corporate jet to get taken where the critical need was. I wouldn't trade these experiences for a job where I went to the same place day after day and had the same basic duties day after day. Been there and done that. However I am looking forward to being able to relax when I want and go to the shop when I want. I don't want to quit everything because as Erik stated if you don't have a motivation and something to keep you going it can go down hill all to fast. Given my bad experience last winter with Covid it also makes you start thinking about what's important. As much as I do enjoy my job I need to refocus on family and doing things for enjoyment. Whether it's making something in the shop or traveling or attending grand kids ball games and school functions. I'm hoping I transition well. I have lot's of smart guys in here I can ask for advice I can see. Retirement, what we all seek.

Jim Becker
08-21-2021, 8:38 AM
Ronald, it can be a difficult decision sometimes to retire when there is a lot of positive in the work and work environment. I unequivocally do miss a lot of the people and fortunately, am still in touch with many via social media. I also liked my work, particularly the mentoring I did the last couple of years to a young, 25 yo new account manager that I supported. She was great. At the same time, "enjoyable" and "I really want to do this every day" began to separate over that same time period. It was routine. It was safe. I paid very well. I worked from home for nearly 20 years, traveling when necessary for customer interaction and internal things including internationally. But the "spark" wasn't there any more after 21 years with that employer and 38+ years in full time work. The numbers were favorable, having done "the right thing" over the years, so I put on the superman underwear and made the move. Zero regrets. So congratulations in advance for making the move yourself. It's good. Just be prepared to be busier than ever! LOL

Rod Sheridan
08-23-2021, 8:39 AM
Very good advice Erik, when I was in my thirties my employer had me attend a retirement planning seminar.

One of the discussions was that you should begin developing your retirement interests decades before you retire because if for example you aren’t woodworking before retirement it’s likely you won’t after.

I took that to heart which is why my office sported a “work interferes with my hobbies” sign…….Regards, Rod

Bernie Kopfer
08-23-2021, 11:43 AM
I would have to be paid a awful lot to go back to work!

Rich Engelhardt
08-23-2021, 1:38 PM
I would have to be paid a awful lot to go back to work!Amen to that!
I hated retirement at first.
It felt more like I did or said something inappropriate at work and got sent home without pay instead of a prolonged vacation.
Since I had retired at 59 1/2, I had no income at all. My plan was to just hang on until I turned 62 & started social security.
From a dollars and sense (& cents too!) point, we were ok since we had my wife's income & the rent income. I'd made sure all the debts were paid & we had nothing going out, which also helped.
Once I had social security coming in every month, I felt a whole lot better about retirement. It wasn't the amount of money there as it was the dependability of it.

Ten years later - I feel a lot different about it. I don't want to go back to a job ever again. Not for any amount of money.
(I'm ok with pitching in with the rental properties though for another year - but - that's different)

Jon Grider
08-23-2021, 2:23 PM
27 months into retirement and I love it. I make "treen" for a local foodie shop that sells my stuff and did a paid kitchen cab job this past the spring. I make what I like when I like and have quite a few interests besides woodworking that keeps me involved with life.

I don't understand those who get "bored" in retirement unless health issues keep them from doing stuff.

Erik Loza
08-23-2021, 2:37 PM
I was once of this thought. I’m not sure if it came with getting older (as ‘older’ as you can get at 36..) or just gaining a family- wife then kids- but I’m on the retire as early as possible train now...

We don't have kids or any immediate heirs aside from our pets, so it's perhaps a little different. Personally, I need the ability to stay engaged in human interaction at some level, but don't necessarily want to remain beholden to it like a full-time job, for income. My wife chuckles at this but my dream after I retire is to be a barista at some neighborhood coffee shop for maybe 15-20 hours a week.

Erik

Patrick McCarthy
08-23-2021, 8:22 PM
Erik, i understand the desire for social interaction, but most of the baristas i meet are too busy to have anything other than a short exchange, and i live in a town smaller than Austin. In a big city i think it could be brutal, as less sociable people in the line behind have a way of grunting and groaning that translates into "hey old man, get the heck out of my way" . . . and those are the polite ones without anger management issues . . .

Rich Engelhardt
08-24-2021, 7:24 AM
My wife chuckles at this but my dream after I retire is to be a barista at some neighborhood coffee shop for maybe 15-20 hours a week.We have a lot of new motels that have sprung up around us. I toyed with the idea of getting a part time job working there.
My thought was they might offer some rate deal for employees on rooms & we could take advantage of that if we traveled.
I never followed through though.

Dave Anderson NH
08-24-2021, 10:28 AM
I finally retired at the end of January 2020 at the age of 71. I worked longer because I enjoyed my job and my company had also given me golden handcuffs. I have plenty to keep me busy between my woodworking, gardening, running an American Legion shooting sports program for kids, and volunteering at my local VA medical center. Except for the gardening and woodworking my other activities give me plenty of the human interaction I need. To my mind the worst thing anyone can do upon retirement is isolate themselves. Even my wooworking sometimes has social interaction due to our NH guild programs and my occasional teaching. My motto is keep busy or die.

Erik Loza
08-24-2021, 3:58 PM
Erik, i understand the desire for social interaction, but most of the baristas i meet are too busy to have anything other than a short exchange, and i live in a town smaller than Austin. In a big city i think it could be brutal, as less sociable people in the line behind have a way of grunting and groaning that translates into "hey old man, get the heck out of my way" . . . and those are the polite ones without anger management issues . . .

Patrick, why you gotta’ ruin my dream, bro?

Patrick McCarthy
08-24-2021, 4:38 PM
Erik,

Well, um, ya see . . . i got this email from a "Mrs. Loza" threatening to expose me as a fraud (ie, a wannabe woodworker rather than the real deal) if i did not post exactly what was dictated . . .

. . and i trust you know why none of us would want to cross Mrs. Soza . . . .

Yeah, that's my story and i'm sticking to it. . .. . for now, at least . . . .

Derek Meyer
08-24-2021, 8:01 PM
We have a lot of new motels that have sprung up around us. I toyed with the idea of getting a part time job working there.
My thought was they might offer some rate deal for employees on rooms & we could take advantage of that if we traveled.
I never followed through though.

My wife used to work the desk at a La Quinta, and she could accumulate reward points by getting customer referrals and repeat stays. She would get an employee rate at any La Quinta motel, so we stayed at them for when we traveled. The employee rate was usually $30 to $50 per night, and she used her reward points to make that cost $0. We stayed for 5 nights for free in Las Vegas during one trip a few years ago. It can make it worth your while.

Ron Citerone
08-24-2021, 10:52 PM
I also liked my work, particularly the mentoring I did the last couple of years to a young, 25 yo new account manager that I supported. She was great. LOL

So Doctor SWMBO found out and made you retire? :eek::D

Jim Becker
08-25-2021, 8:33 AM
So Doctor SWMBO found out and made you retire? :eek::D

LOL. Trust me....that young lady I was mentoring was in good hands with her hunky college lacrosse coach boyfriend, now husband and father to her two young kids. Professor Dr. SWMBO is starting to contemplate how and when to execute her own retirement process. She's two years younger than I am but now that she's eligible for SS she can actually consider whether or not to use one of the multi-year buy-down slow retirement options that the university offers tenured employees as income lost from the job as it steps down can be replaced by the SS income. As it turns out, the health insurance continues for both of us, so it actually can be considered. That's the most difficult thing for anyone wanting to retire "early"...making sure health insurance is in place. I'll leave it at that. ;)

Ron Citerone
08-25-2021, 11:23 AM
LOL. Trust me....that young lady I was mentoring was in good hands with her hunky college lacrosse coach boyfriend, now husband and father to her two young kids. Professor Dr. SWMBO is starting to contemplate how and when to execute her own retirement process. She's two years younger than I am but now that she's eligible for SS she can actually consider whether or not to use one of the multi-year buy-down slow retirement options that the university offers tenured employees as income lost from the job as it steps down can be replaced by the SS income. As it turns out, the health insurance continues for both of us, so it actually can be considered. That's the most difficult thing for anyone wanting to retire "early"...making sure health insurance is in place. I'll leave it at that. ;)

Yeah, my wife worked 2 years after I retired and she had benefits. We had to bite the bullet and buy bennies for 3 years when she went. Sometimes ya gotta do what you gotta do.

Jim Becker
08-25-2021, 11:33 AM
Yeah, my wife worked 2 years after I retired and she had benefits. We had to bite the bullet and buy bennies for 3 years when she went. Sometimes ya gotta do what you gotta do.

Fortunately, her medical benefits continue essentially unchanged into retirement. That's not the case with many folks, however. Sadly.

Derek Meyer
08-25-2021, 5:14 PM
I found out today that there are baristas at the coffee shack my wife goes to that make more in a year than I do. During the holidays they make upwards of $350 a day in tips. I now feel undervalued.

Patrick McCarthy
08-25-2021, 5:20 PM
I found out today that there are baristas at the coffee shack my wife goes to that make more in a year than I do. During the holidays they make upwards of $350 a day in tips. I now feel undervalued.

Alright, alright, i will withdraw the concerns i expressed re Erik's dream job . . . but i hope he does not get into too much trouble with all that money (root of all evil, etc, etc). Still, not the job for me . . .