PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Turning, 1st Try At Making A Tool

Chris DiCiaccio
01-12-2006, 12:48 PM
Well, if the two-part epoxy doesn't let me down this might come in handy. The blade is a drill bit inserted backwards, expoxied, and sharpened. I really enjoyed trying to make this. Got to use my turning tools for the 2nd time and had never drilled anything horizontal before. I found I had an old unused Jet drill press chuck that fit just fine on the tailstock. The wood is two pieces of spalted maple face glued.

29434 29435

Greg Heppeard
01-12-2006, 12:57 PM
Lookin good !

Michael Stafford
01-12-2006, 1:13 PM
Hey Chris, looking good!:D I made a bunch of these for my friends and one suggestion I would offer is that befor you insert the drill bit you turn down the brass compression nut while it is on the lathe. You can do this with a file while the lathe is running. Just make sure you put something under the turning to catch the filings. Then you can finish sand it just as you would the wood.

Here is a thread where I posted a few of these that I turned for friends.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=22766

Nice work!:D

Chris DiCiaccio
01-12-2006, 1:25 PM
Hey Chris, looking good!:D I made a bunch of these for my friends and one suggestion I would offer is that befor you insert the drill bit you turn down the brass compression nut while it is on the lathe. You can do this with a file while the lathe is running. Just make sure you put something under the turning to catch the filings. Then you can finish sand it just as you would the wood.

Here is a thread where I posted a few of these that I turned for friends.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=22766

Nice work!:D

I wondered about filing that nut on the lathe, but decided not to. That clears that up. Man, I need to retract this post after seeing those you made. They are great! Awesome! Thanks for sharing.

Bill Stevener
01-12-2006, 2:17 PM
Hi Chris,
I think it looks great, you will long remember it.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Joe Tonich
01-12-2006, 2:49 PM
Man, I need to retract this post after seeing those you made.

Dontcha dare!! :D

Ya done good!!! :D :D :D

Joe

Raymond Overman
01-12-2006, 3:06 PM
I've just got to make me one of those now, and a marking knife. Nice job and excellent work for a 2nd or even 100th turning. Tool handles and other spindle work is great practice for newbies and seasoned vetrans. Keep up the good work.

Oh, and welcome neighbor. If you don't have anything to do next Thursday at 6:30, the Charlotte Woodturners group is having a meeting at the Charlotte Art League off Camden Rd near downtown. We'd love to see you. You can check out the schedule and more info at http://www.charlottewoodturners.org

There is no commitment or dues required of guests but we do have a paid demonstrator at this meeting and a donation is appreciated.

Keith Burns
01-12-2006, 6:04 PM
Very nice job Chris, looks good to me:) :)

Dick Parr
01-12-2006, 7:39 PM
Great job Chris...

Bernie Weishapl
01-12-2006, 7:59 PM
Nice job Chris. That looks good.

Chris DiCiaccio
01-12-2006, 8:11 PM
I've just got to make me one of those now, and a marking knife. Nice job and excellent work for a 2nd or even 100th turning. Tool handles and other spindle work is great practice for newbies and seasoned vetrans. Keep up the good work.

Oh, and welcome neighbor. If you don't have anything to do next Thursday at 6:30, the Charlotte Woodturners group is having a meeting at the Charlotte Art League off Camden Rd near downtown. We'd love to see you. You can check out the schedule and more info at http://www.charlottewoodturners.org

There is no commitment or dues required of guests but we do have a paid demonstrator at this meeting and a donation is appreciated.

Hello neighbor to you! Thanks for the info. on the Charlotte Woodturners Club. I'm out of town next Thursday so I can't make the meeting, but it should be great with the teacher you have coming. maybe I can get over there sometime in the future. Thanks again.