PDA

View Full Version : Which jig for raised panels on the table saw?

Rich Engelhardt
08-17-2021, 10:19 AM
I'm going over the different kinds of jigs I can make that will help me cut raised panels on the table saw.

There are two basic styles:
- One rides the fence & is straight & the blade is angled.
- The other rides the fence at a set angle & the blade is set at 90* straight up.

I'm trying to figure out the pros and cons of each style.:confused:

roger wiegand
08-17-2021, 10:38 AM
It's a lot easier to make different angles if you tilt the saw blade.

When I've done it I never used a jig, just a tall fence on the TS.

Jim Dwight
08-17-2021, 4:39 PM
I agree with Roger. No jig needed. I did a house full of doors with 4 panel doors, raised on both sides, just using a tall fence on my table saw. But do yourself a favor and have a really tall fence. Like 8 or 10 inches high. You need to be able to push against it and still have your hands well away from the blade.

George Bokros
08-17-2021, 6:19 PM
Raised panel bit for the router table, much easier and safer in my opinion.

Earl McLain
08-17-2021, 7:22 PM
Raised panel bit for the router table, much easier and safer in my opinion.

I’ve done tall fence with blade tilted on table saw and raised panel bit flat on the router table. I should have bought the router bit sooner, felt a ton safer!
earl

Rich Engelhardt
08-18-2021, 8:30 AM
I do have the router & a panel raiser.

If I decide to go with MDF panels though, I hate to subject a $100 bit to that.

I recently made some drawers using the quarter - quarter -quarter method & I did just use the fence.
My TS has a 10" high aux fence.
It just didn't feel "right" doing it that way.

I ended up throwing together a jig for that & it felt a lot better that way.

Edward Weber
08-18-2021, 10:13 AM
Many times it's better to use both methods.
Cut away the bulk on the TS with a tall piece jig and then use the router table to cut whatever profile you need.
It just makes a little less work for the router bit

Greg Quenneville
08-19-2021, 4:26 AM
Regarding the router bit…get this:

I used a single infinity panel raiser bit to cut both sides of 144 MDF door panels (!), (one pass each side) and one side of an additional 70 or so panels for a panelled library. I used a diamond file stone on the bit once in there somewhere more for good practice than necessity. The bit still cuts well with no chipping. You bought an expensive carbide bit for just this reason.

glenn bradley
08-19-2021, 10:00 AM
Mine rides on the table, against the fence.
The pressure bar and front panel/abrasive come off and it does service as a tall router table fence as well.

Rich Engelhardt
08-20-2021, 4:47 AM
I like that style Glenn.
The bar adds a level of safety that appeals to me after my experience with the drawers.

Thanks for sharing that.