PDA

View Full Version : SCMI vs SCM

Bill Mureiko
08-16-2021, 4:14 PM
Can anyone fill me in on the difference, if any, between machines sold under the SCMI label vs. those sold under the SCM label? Is it simply a matter of age, or some other manufacturing difference (location)? Looking at an SCMI S630 planer.

Erik Loza
08-16-2021, 6:23 PM
I believe it was just refining of the name, SCMi being the earlier version. Everything contemporary is under "SCM Group". All the same organization, to the best of my knowledge. Obviously, there have been changes and revisions to the various models of machine over the years, which is commonplace in the industry.

Erik

Mick Simon
08-17-2021, 9:01 AM
I think it was much like the difference between a US company changing from XYZ, Inc to XYZ, LLC. Just a corporate structure change for legal/tax reasons. Same company.

Joe Calhoon
08-17-2021, 10:03 PM
Can anyone fill me in on the difference, if any, between machines sold under the SCMI label vs. those sold under the SCM label? Is it simply a matter of age, or some other manufacturing difference (location)? Looking at an SCMI S630 planer.

I think that came about when SCM set up their own distribution in the US. I believe it meant SCM International. My first experience with SCM was in the late 70s with a slider and J-P. A company called BM Ten machinery was selling them. (Probably others as well) About that time Rockwell started importing them and they were in the Rockwell catalogue. At that time late 70s and earlier they were dark green SCM L’invincable with a lot of cast construction. At some point about that time they went to the tan color and badged Rockwell. Not sure when SCM set up shop in Georgia but that’s when a lot of them were badged SCMI. And the light green color came at some point. Guessing mid 80s.
They are all SCM