PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for plane storage

Richard Hart
08-16-2021, 1:56 PM
My mancave/work area is in the unheated garage so it's a fortunately dry but still hostile environment.

What are some of the methods you use for storing your planes, either DIY (preferably) or consumer?

~10 planes right now, biggest is #6.

Looking forward!

Rich

George Yetka
08-16-2021, 2:19 PM
I have them in a drawer under the bench in Kaizen foam with a couple desiccant gel containers That I recharge when they change color. The foam protects them from sliding or being put down to hard. And the Desiccant protects from rust

Richard Hart
08-16-2021, 4:32 PM
I have them in a drawer under the bench in Kaizen foam with a couple desiccant gel containers That I recharge when they change color. The foam protects them from sliding or being put down to hard. And the Desiccant protects from rust

Ah! Checked Amazon... any particular one you use?

Thanks, I'm gonna get some..

Scott Clausen
08-16-2021, 4:34 PM
If you have several, a till with glass doors might be nice. You can add a moisture solution like damp rid of something else to prevent rust. Doors will need to seal well too.

Stephen Rosenthal
08-16-2021, 5:24 PM
No rust issues to worry about. Mounted on top and bottom 2x4 French Cleats into the studs.

steven c newman
08-16-2021, 5:56 PM
Maybe build a "Bookcase with glass doors"?
As long as it has wooden shelves...

Tom M King
08-16-2021, 5:57 PM
Mine can go for years at the time, with no degradation. They're in waterproof toolboxes, with desiccant cannisters. I don't need to see them until I need one.

I think I'm up to something like 144 of these toolboxes, each in its own cubbie, so no unstacking needed to access any one.

This picture was in a flipping house, in 2012. They've been moved several times since then. The boxes come in two sizes, and are sold under Stanley, Bostitch, Dewalt, and Craftsman brand names. I tested the first one with a pressure washer-no leaks.

Richard Hart
08-16-2021, 6:24 PM
Mine can go for years at the time, with no degradation. They're in waterproof toolboxes, with desiccant cannisters. I don't need to see them until I need one.

I think I'm up to something like 144 of these toolboxes, each in its own cubbie, so no unstacking needed to access any one.

This picture was in a flipping house, in 2012. They've been moved several times since then. The boxes come in two sizes, and are sold under Stanley, Bostitch, Dewalt, and Craftsman brand names. I tested the first one with a pressure washer-no leaks.

And I thought I was getting bad with Packouts! :eek: That was expensive enough for tools and I pushed the edge of the envelope with that. This and the bookcase idea are good, I'm leaning towards the bookcase but with solid doors. Too clumsy around glass.

Thanks all

Tom M King
08-16-2021, 7:14 PM
I do so many different things, that if I wasn't organized, all time would be spent looking for tools. Woodworking is just one thing on a long list.

Jason Buresh
08-16-2021, 7:38 PM

I built this one last year. My most used planes are housed here. Bench and specialty. I'm pretty happy with the design so far. If I were to do it over there isn't much I would change.

Joe A Faulkner
08-16-2021, 11:40 PM
I cut up a stack of credit card sized rags out of an old T-shirt that are stored in a plastic container. Add some clean oil and you have small oil rags at the ready. I use the rag to wipe down the planes after use and store the planes in this tool cabinet. My shop is not heated, but it is insulated. I use a combination of electric space heaters in the winter, but I only run them during work sessions.

Jake Hillestad
08-17-2021, 1:23 AM
Were I looking at a similar situation I'd be making a cabinet and incorporating a Goldenrod in tandem with oiling/waxing after use.

George Yetka
08-17-2021, 7:25 AM
Ah! Checked Amazon... any particular one you use?

Thanks, I'm gonna get some..

I also have the bare metal lightly coated with Ballistol

I started with theses I have about 20 in my drawers and ammo boxes as well.
https://www.amazon.com/Silica-Dehumidifier-Desiccant-Orange-Chloride/dp/B015OTBKAA/ref=sr_1_13?dchild=1&keywords=DESSICANT&qid=1629199126&sr=8-13

Eventually i started 3d Printing containers and bought a gallon of rechargeable desiccant
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F6H6PST/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

George Yetka
08-17-2021, 7:31 AM
My garage has had a humidifier running 2-8 hours a day for years. Summer humidity for me is pretty high but it gets really bad in there when I get a rain/snow storm followed by unseasonable warmth the wind blows it right in and surface rust will hit if things arent coated

James Spangler
08-18-2021, 10:50 PM
Very cool storage cabinets in this thread.

An additional way to deter rust would be to line your shelves/drawers with VCI (volatile corrosion inhibitor) paper, which acts to deter rusting.
Info on VCI paper can be found here:
https://www.edcosupply.com/frequently-asked-questions-about-vci-paper (https://www.edcosupply.com/frequently-asked-questions-about-vci-paper/)

You can buy a roll of it from a vendor like ULINE, but for smaller quantities, you can usually find it on eBay.

Tom M King
08-19-2021, 8:22 AM
I never worry about rust. When the toolboxes get dirty, I just set them outside, and hose them off.

Todd Zucker
08-19-2021, 2:33 PM
I never had an issue with rust until I installed a mini split in the garage. Yesterday it rained, and after I parked my car in the garage I noticed that a mirror on the wall had fogged up. Checked the chisels and they also were coated with mist.

For planes, I built the hanging tool chest from a Mike Pekovich article in Fine Woodworking, and his dimensions for the dividers were perfect for all of the planes I had and later acquired. Maybe because they were in cubby holes they didn’t fog up like the chisels, but I guess I am going to need to keep the cabinet doors closed from now on if I have the mini split cooling garage in the summer.

Richard Hart
08-23-2021, 2:12 PM
Thanks-at least this points me in some kind of direction.
I have the Milwaukee packout system but it wouldn't be doable financially - that party's over unfortunately.
I like the toolbox idea though-the Dewalt boxes are *much* less expensive.
Haven't been here for a few days so I don't remember if I mentioned it but *very" fortunately we have forced air so moisture isn't a problem.

Thanks all, appreciate it!

Rich