PDA

View Full Version : CMS Brake update

Dennis McDonaugh
01-12-2006, 11:06 AM
Here's a follow-up to my CMS Brake question from November.

I finally got the brushes for my Delta 36-235 CMS and installed them this morning. They didn't fix the problem, the brake still doesn't engage when you release the trigger. I've removed the switch and there is nothing obviously wrong with it. I blew out some dirt and sawdust and put it back in--same result.

At this point, I'm leaning toward trashing it because a new switch is $50 and I'm not sure that's going to fix it. Does anyone have any troubleshooting suggestions to verify its the switch before I give up?

Jeff Sudmeier
01-12-2006, 11:17 AM
Dennis,

The brake on my dad's makita went out about 2 years ago. If I remember correctly it was going to be $100 to fix. We never have fixed it. The saw still works like a dream and not having the brake doesn't cause us grief.

Mark Rios
01-12-2006, 12:24 PM
Is my 1214 Makita supposed to have a blade brake?

tod evans
01-12-2006, 12:31 PM
dennis, after you installed the brushes did you run the saw nonstop for at least a minute? if not try that and let go of the trigger with a snap...that`s all i know to try........02 tod

Dennis McDonaugh
01-12-2006, 12:36 PM
Dennis,

The brake on my dad's makita went out about 2 years ago. If I remember correctly it was going to be $100 to fix. We never have fixed it. The saw still works like a dream and not having the brake doesn't cause us grief.

Jeff, you guys are braver than I am. I always wait for the blade to stop before removing the workpiece from the table. With the brake, thats 1-2 seconds. Without it, the blade stops in 10-15 seconds. I'm just not that patient and know its an accident waiting to happen for me.

Dennis McDonaugh
01-12-2006, 12:37 PM
Is my 1214 Makita supposed to have a blade brake?

I've never seen a CMS without one Mark.

Mark Rios
01-12-2006, 12:40 PM
Well then mine isn't working either. lol It has never worked since I got it in April.

Dennis McDonaugh
01-12-2006, 12:41 PM
dennis, after you installed the brushes did you run the saw nonstop for at least a minute? if not try that and let go of the trigger with a snap...that`s all i know to try........02 tod

Tod, I'll give that a try. I just turned it on for second or two and turned it off.

Larry Browning
01-12-2006, 1:09 PM
Jeff, you guys are braver than I am. I always wait for the blade to stop before removing the workpiece from the table. With the brake, thats 1-2 seconds. Without it, the blade stops in 10-15 seconds. I'm just not that patient and know its an accident waiting to happen for me.
Dennis,
Doesn't the saw have a retractable guard so that when the saw is in the raised position the guard covers the blade completely? I know mine does. If that is the case, then it seems to me that it would be pretty hard to get your body to come in contact with the spinning blade.

Jeff Sudmeier
01-12-2006, 1:24 PM

I realize it's not the safest situation, but with the guard there it is no different than the table saw. I push the peices past on the table saw and leave the saw running.

The main thing for us is to always treat the blade as if it was on. The reason I do this is because I used to use the blade tooth to line up the cut with the tooth touching the board. Well a previous saw fired right up on it's own. (Faulty switch). Shot the board I was lining up backwards against the saw really hard!

I would try and get it fixed, but the saw may not be junk if you can't.

Dennis McDonaugh
01-12-2006, 2:23 PM
Larry, Jeff, now that I think about it you guys seem right. For some reason, sitting here at my desk I seem to remember seeing the teeth spinning as it wound down. Maybe I'm wrong, I'll check it out tonite.

Dave Richards
01-12-2006, 2:47 PM
Just note for Larry. The instructions for my DeWalt CMS and a couple of others I've looked at say to hold the saw down until the blade stops spinning. This is supposes to give a smoother surface to the cut faces. Seems to be right. Anyway, if you do that, it means the blade guard is retracted until the blade stops and the mortor is allowed to return to the up position.

Steve Clardy
01-12-2006, 5:27 PM
I've never seen a CMS without one Mark.

THe older Makita's, ones with no lower blade guards, had no brake.

Dennis McDonaugh
01-13-2006, 9:49 AM
When the blade is fully "up" it looks like it is covered by the guard. Actually the bottom of the guard is flat and has an opening which lets a small section of blade protrude through the bottom of the guard. Its only a few teeth, and nearly a foot away from the table, but you can still contact the teeth.