PDA

View Full Version : I want to make a Frame Saw

Dennis Peacock
08-13-2021, 4:44 PM
I've been researching frame saws to add to my hand-tool work in my shop. I've found a design or two that I really like and want to build. My question here is, where do I get a 15 tpi blade that is about 1" to 1-1/2" wide? I know I can buy a handsaw that I can cut tenons with and such, but I've fallen in love with the idea of using a frame saw, just like my great grandfather used to use. I just wished I could have gotten his old tools, but the family sold them all off many years ago.

Advice, tips, and pointers all accepted and appreciated.

Edward Weber
08-13-2021, 5:07 PM
https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/hand-saws.aspx
The first thing that came to mind, I know others will offer other sites.

steven c newman
08-13-2021, 5:22 PM
Hmmm..There WAS a video out called Traditional Chinese Woodworking...that showed how to make a frame saw.....

Took some Maple, a couple Butcher's Meat Saws for an 18" blade, and the hardware.....and a 5/16" all-thread, washers, and a wingnut...
And we have a frame saw...
Front and rear hardware for the blade came from 2 meat saws...
All thread was used to adjust the tension...with just one wingnut..
Other end of the allthread was heated, bent, and stuffed into a mortise...so it will nor twist...
Blade is 9ppi, sharpened cross cut
Black tape is for a better grip....cross bar sits un-glued in mortises in the handles...you WANT just a little flex in the joint...just make it tight, but allow it to float a bit...

Saw can be found in my shop, hanging on the outside of the Saw Til door...

Alan Schwabacher
08-13-2021, 6:39 PM
15 tpi is a bit finer than most. You can try the Highland 9 tpi blade.

Woodcraft used to carry a German brand of blades and saws.

Lee Valley has nobex replacement 18 tpi blades that might work for you.

Phil Mueller
08-14-2021, 6:54 AM
Dieter Schmid Fine Tools also sells a variety of saw blades.

Todd Trebuna
08-15-2021, 8:53 PM
I bought the 36 inch blade and kit from Blackburn tools last year. Used it today as a matter of fact. I made the frame out of Hickory. Coupled with the Kerf saw I made, it is a lot of fun to use and saws through some wood.

steven c newman
08-16-2021, 8:00 AM
Seems to be a bit of confusion going on...we talking about a Frame saw for resaw work.....or, a Frame saw for general wood working......Happen to know a fellow that had about 50 of what he called Frame Saws...they varied in length, depending on the task he was doing....mainly cross cutting, and a few rip cuts. Watched his video, and then I made my version of his saw.....he used what he called a Watch Spring blade, came in a coil. GE HONG I seem to remember being the site's logo back then....David Weaver era here. Weaver is the one that told me about the videos ...

Paul Saffold
08-16-2021, 8:38 AM
https://www.dictum.com/en/search?sSearch=frame+saws

Dennis Peacock
08-16-2021, 9:28 AM
I am primarily talking about a Frame Saw for cutting tenons and cross cutting/ripping in general. I need to get better with hand tools. :)