PDA

View Full Version : I’m moving to Virginia

Malcolm Schweizer
08-12-2021, 6:17 PM
After 20 years in the Caribbean, uncontrollable circumstances will have me moving to Virginia next month. I am trying to land in Petersburg, and am looking for a historic home and a place to move the shop. I will be there next week on my fourth scouting mission. Kind of wanted to keep low until I got a closing on the house. I would love to hear from Creekers in the area.

I do plan to set up a professional shop there. Ideally I want to get an old warehouse type building to make into a shop, somewhere north of 3200 square feet. I’m moving some of the big equipment, but mostly going to buy new. I am bringing some beautiful Cuban mahogany slabs (all being done properly and legally, and yes, it can be done, and Agriculture is working with me). Those will travel by ocean and take a month or so to arrive at destination. Meanwhile, I have to find a storage unit to stage stuff in when it arrives, Open to recommendations for reputable storage facilities.

It is bittersweet. Looking forward, not backwards. Getting hit this weekend by a tropical storm, which makes me look at the positive side of moving! I just hope I survive winter.

Frederick Skelly
08-12-2021, 6:28 PM
Wow. Big change for you and your family. Different climate, but also a different culture I suspect.
Good luck Malcolm!

Malcolm McLeod
08-12-2021, 6:31 PM
Safe travels! Good luck with the move - - here's to a bright future and better 'circumstances'!

A bit off my beaten track, so offers to help may be a bit moot. ...Unless of course you'd like to store some of that ugly lumber at my place?;)

Perry Hilbert Jr
08-12-2021, 6:52 PM
I am looking to move to Virginia also. But hardly to such a populated area. I realize there is crap everywhere, but I was happier 20 yrs ago when I lived in Northern Virginia. Mrs. is ready to. The minor lawlessness of this area has become astounding. I am tired of spending hot summer days fixing farm equipment, mending fences, and taking care of livestock. It was a good run. I do have a nice porch to sit and watch the sunset. I am looking for a better one to watch the sun rise, hopefully over some water. Been spending some time there, trying to meet locals and get a feel for the place. I have one old cow, I raised from a calf. Found a good home for her where she will be allowed to live out her days in exchange for her mowing services. The rest can all be stew for all I care. I just have to get over part of my distrust of realtors. I consider them lower than third world used car salesmen. sold two places in the past dealt with realtors to buy new places. Had distasteful dealings with all 4 realtors. They speak a foreign jargon and mince words into microns and still claim they never said it. (Even had one recorded on the answering machine.) I hate moving and all it entails, fortunately, I will have a dedicated shop building at the next place instead of a basement. Seems there are no basements where we intend to go..

Tom M King
08-12-2021, 7:00 PM
Good luck. I live about an easy hour down I95 from there. I would think you can find an old warehouse in Petersburg. Sorry, I don't know my way around there enough to be able to recommend anything.

Thomas Wilson
08-12-2021, 7:09 PM
Lynchburg is a good place to look. Rural counties in central Virginia are all good choices for restoration spaces. Lots of furniture making experience in the area if you are needing workers.

Mel Fulks
08-12-2021, 7:37 PM
I’m in Richmond and I can tell you that many in this city have never been to Petersburg. The place had a good run during the “Civil War
Centennial”. I worked there for several years and most of our work was for Richmond contractors. Lots of good shop spaces there !

Tom M King
08-12-2021, 8:14 PM
One of the best things about Petersburg, is King's Barbecue (no relation). The best pork barbecue anywhere. Best cuts of Pork cooked over Hickory wood. Two locations, and only in Petersburg.

Jim Becker
08-12-2021, 8:21 PM
Wow...that will indeed be a big change, Malcolm! You'll actually not be "too far" from Keith Outten and the Sawmill Creek server, although unless you have a helicopter, it's a bit of a drive. :) I hope the property hunt goes well and you also find what you want for your shop, too.

Eduard Nemirovsky
08-12-2021, 8:31 PM
I am living in Virginia for last 30 years. Right now in Hot Springs, very rural with very nice people around me ( but very scattered over county :)).
Good luck with your move and home hunt. Right now buying home could be a very difficult task.
Ed.

Malcolm Schweizer
08-12-2021, 8:45 PM
I’m in Richmond and I can tell you that many in this city have never been to Petersburg. The place had a good run during the “Civil War
Centennial”. I worked there for several years and most of our work was for Richmond contractors. Lots of good shop spaces there !
I will be looking you up when I arrive permanently in Setember. I looked all over Richmond, but Petersburg is more my style and half the price. Yea, I know about the crime. I’m no stranger to that. I really love the old town there.

One of the best things about Petersburg, is King's Barbecue (no relation). The best pork barbecue anywhere. Best cuts of Pork cooked over Hickory wood. Two locations, and only in Petersburg.
Watch it, buddy- I grew up in Memphis. I’m picky about my BBQ. The worst I ever had was in Richmond, so I truly hope King’s can redeem Virginia for me.

Wow...that will indeed be a big change, Malcolm! You'll actually not be "too far" from Keith Outten and the Sawmill Creek server, although unless you have a helicopter, it's a bit of a drive. :) I hope the property hunt goes well and you also find what you want for your shop, too.

Don’t joke about helicopters- it’s something on my long-term bucket list. By the way, I may head up your way looking for a Fuso FG or an Isuzu NPR. There is a place up there with a few and also an Indian motorcycle near you I’m interested in. Might be a road trip in the near future. Indian Chief “Vintage” 2014 and up is on the must-have list.

Good luck. I live about an easy hour down I95 from there. I would think you can find an old warehouse in Petersburg. Sorry, I don't know my way around there enough to be able to recommend anything.

Tidewater? I spent a few years there and it wasn’t military service. I will likely be down that way looking for tools on Craigslist.

Jim Becker
08-12-2021, 8:51 PM
Don’t joke about helicopters- it’s something on my long-term bucket list. By the way, I may head up your way looking for a Fuso FG or an Isuzu NPR. There is a place up there with a few and also an Indian motorcycle near you I’m interested in. Might be a road trip in the near future. Indian Chief “Vintage” 2014 and up is on the must-have list..

I will expect a visit. My previous spouse's father owned quite a few Isuzu NPR vehicles for his insulation contracting business. They were easy to drive and generally reliable. Big outfit near Lawrenceville NJ sold them.

Malcolm Schweizer
08-12-2021, 9:08 PM
I will expect a visit. My previous spouse's father owned quite a few Isuzu NPR vehicles for his insulation contracting business. They were easy to drive and generally reliable. Big outfit near Lawrenceville NJ sold them.

Yes, that’s one of the places I am looking. Seems to be a huge operation. I have a friend up there I could visit. Might buy a truck and a bike in one trip- who knows.

Kev Williams
08-12-2021, 10:21 PM
Storage: Conex?

John K Jordan
08-12-2021, 10:53 PM
Wow, what a change! I don't live in the area but I might drive up from TN just to meet you and say hello!

I remember well-known woodturner Mark StLeger tell how he and some friends picked a spot in Virginia to move to. They laid out a map on the table and one guy closed his eyes and poked his finger at the map. They all packed up and moved and have been there since!

I like a lot of Virginia, especially a bit out in the countryside. I'm not too wild about the population density close to DC.

JKJ

After 20 years in the Caribbean, uncontrollable circumstances will have me moving to Virginia next month. I am trying to land in Petersburg, and am looking for a historic home and a place to move the shop. I will be there next week on my fourth scouting mission. Kind of wanted to keep low until I got a closing on the house. I would love to hear from Creekers in the area.

I do plan to set up a professional shop there. Ideally I want to get an old warehouse type building to make into a shop, somewhere north of 3200 square feet. I’m moving some of the big equipment, but mostly going to buy new. I am bringing some beautiful Cuban mahogany slabs (all being done properly and legally, and yes, it can be done, and Agriculture is working with me). Those will travel by ocean and take a month or so to arrive at destination. Meanwhile, I have to find a storage unit to stage stuff in when it arrives, Open to recommendations for reputable storage facilities.

It is bittersweet. Looking forward, not backwards. Getting hit this weekend by a tropical storm, which makes me look at the positive side of moving! I just hope I survive winter.

Jack Frederick
08-12-2021, 11:09 PM
“Uncontrollable circumstances” I have to look at frequent Cat 5’s at least assisting in this decision. Too bad, but with our fires I understand how those risks drive, or at least, contribute to this decision. Happy Trails, Malcolm. I wish you the best.

Malcolm Schweizer
08-12-2021, 11:14 PM
Wow, what a change! I don't live in the area but I might drive up from TN just to meet you and say hello!

I remember well-known woodturner Mark StLeger tell how he and some friends picked a spot in Virginia to move to. They laid out a map on the table and one guy closed his eyes and poked his finger at the map. They all packed up and moved and have been there since!

I like a lot of Virginia, especially a bit out in the countryside. I'm not too wild about the population density close to DC.

JKJ

That would be very kind of you. I may end up through “Knoxvegas” at some point because I have a brother in Memphis who rides, and I am sure at some point I will end up meeting him 1/2 way in Pigeon Forge or thereabouts.

I had to be in the Richmond area, and I am also not keen on the population density up there, but found Petersburg to be nice. If I had been able to choose, I would have picked Charlottesville or I would have lived aboard on the Chesapeake.

Keith Outten
08-12-2021, 11:48 PM
I grew up in Hampton Roads, the city of Hampton specifically. I moved to Gloucester County about 25 years ago, not to far from my hometown but far enough to enjoy rural living. The first Abraham Outten settled on the Eastern Shore of Virginia in 1634, I have deep roots here.

Northern Virginia would be the last place on earth I think I would settle. Can't stand the traffic and the cost of living is probably the highest on the East Coast. I lived in Brokenburg Virginia (population eleven people) in the mid seventies to the early eighties which is in Spotsylvania County west of Fredricksburg, I really loved living in the middle of nowhere.

Lynchburg is one of the most beautiful areas in Virginia and its close to some of the best trail riding areas in the country if you have a ATV or motorcycle. Spearhead trails in Southwest Virginia, Hatfield McCoy Trails in southern West Virginia and Kentucky is about to open a huge trail system. I travel across the state several times every year to ride in the mountains and hill country.

Virginia has four seasons, July and August are hot, January and February are pretty chilly, the rest of the year the weather is great IMO.

Malcolm Schweizer
08-13-2021, 5:58 AM
I grew up in Hampton Roads, the city of Hampton specifically. I moved to Gloucester County about 25 years ago, not to far from my hometown but far enough to enjoy rural living. The first Abraham Outten settled on the Eastern Shore of Virginia in 1634, I have deep roots here.

Northern Virginia would be the last place on earth I think I would settle. Can't stand the traffic and the cost of living is probably the highest on the East Coast. I lived in Brokenburg Virginia (population eleven people) in the mid seventies to the early eighties which is in Spotsylvania County west of Fredricksburg, I really loved living in the middle of nowhere.

Lynchburg is one of the most beautiful areas in Virginia and its close to some of the best trail riding areas in the country if you have a ATV or motorcycle. Spearhead trails in Southwest Virginia, Hatfield McCoy Trails in southern West Virginia and Kentucky is about to open a huge trail system. I travel across the state several times every year to ride in the mountains and hill country.

Virginia has four seasons, July and August are hot, January and February are pretty chilly, the rest of the year the weather is great IMO.

That is wonderful that you know your history that far back, and he had to be a tough fella to make it in 1634 in what would have been wilderness.

I am not happy about moving to the Richmond area, but it is what I must do. I am excited, however, about Petersburg. I feel like I can fit in there, and historic homes are selling cheap right now. I would rather be sailing the bay or living in the mountains, but I at least will be near the two.

Jim Becker
08-13-2021, 8:35 AM
Yes, that’s one of the places I am looking. Seems to be a huge operation. I have a friend up there I could visit. Might buy a truck and a bike in one trip- who knows.
Yea, they are one of the largest utility truck operations going... "yuge". ;) I didn't know about the Indian dealer as that's not my world, but I've seen great comments about them. I'm glad the brand is out there.

Keith Outten
08-13-2021, 11:13 AM
Petersburg would be about two hours to the Chesapeake Bay, another hour to Virginia Beach. I live on the north side of the York River and the Yorktown Battlefields are on the other side right near the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay. Water everywhere here, several rivers, the Bay and the Atlantic. Sarah's Creek off of the York River is just about 100 yards from my front porch behind my neighbors house. As much as I love the mountains I love the salt water more so I can't leave Hampton Roads.

Richmond used to be one of the Proud Southern City Jewels, not so much anymore they have lost their way IMO. I could live in Petersburg though and I loved living close to Fredricksburg but the town has been consumed by the Northern Virginia monster in recent years.

Ronald Blue
08-13-2021, 11:14 AM
Big changes coming quickly Malcolm. Good luck in all the decision making and getting things in place to set the move up. No small task I'm sure. I know little about the area you are moving to so have nothing to offer there. I just know it's an area rich in history. Keep us posted as things move along.

Ronald Blue
08-13-2021, 11:23 AM

Interesting facts Keith. Similar beginnings here. Ancestors settled in Sussex county New Jersey in the early 1600's. I'd have to look it up to see the exact year it slips my memory. Over time they ended up on the south branch of the Potomac in Romney West Virginia. That homestead was still in the Blue family until in the 1950's. Obviously not everyone stayed in that geographic area. Ancestry and genealogy can be very interesting.

Alex Zeller
08-13-2021, 1:29 PM
It's funny you say "survive winter". I've briefly known plenty of people who moved up here in the middle of summer saying how wonderful it was to beat the 100 degree days down south only to have them realize what real winter is like (-30s). Winter is what you make of it. From what I've seen most south of us can't drive in snow so just stay home if you can on those days. When it's too cold out stay inside. But remember, more than anything, it's only temporary. The white stuff melts and Virginia is far enough south so it shouldn't stick around for too long.

Moving must be really emotional. I've talked with the wife about moving south when we retire. Having snow on the ground from the middle of November to early April can play with your mind. It also means seeing people post pictures of flowers growing around their homes when we still have freezing temps.

Malcolm Schweizer
08-13-2021, 2:15 PM
It's funny you say "survive winter". I've briefly known plenty of people who moved up here in the middle of summer saying how wonderful it was to beat the 100 degree days down south only to have them realize what real winter is like (-30s). Winter is what you make of it. From what I've seen most south of us can't drive in snow so just stay home if you can on those days. When it's too cold out stay inside. But remember, more than anything, it's only temporary. The white stuff melts and Virginia is far enough south so it shouldn't stick around for too long.

Moving must be really emotional. I've talked with the wife about moving south when we retire. Having snow on the ground from the middle of November to early April can play with your mind. It also means seeing people post pictures of flowers growing around their homes when we still have freezing temps.

I put an extra blanket on the bed when it gets below 78 degrees, and I’m totally serious about that. I am acclimated for warm and humid. I will adjust, but I don’t want to.

Jim Becker
08-13-2021, 4:49 PM
I don't think you're going to have to worry too much about "winter" in that area of VA. There may be some Jan/Feb days/weeks where things get a little more nippy, but "winter" as we know it, even where I am up in SE PA, isn't much to worry about anymore. Of course, if you get up in the "mountains", things might be a little different. It's summer with heat and high humidity for us "land lubbers" that's taking more of a toll. (He says after just spending a few hours in his 87ºF temporary shop while it's currently 97)F outside with a "real feel" close to 107ºF)

Malcolm Schweizer
08-13-2021, 8:13 PM
I don't think you're going to have to worry too much about "winter" in that area of VA. There may be some Jan/Feb days/weeks where things get a little more nippy, but "winter" as we know it, even where I am up in SE PA, isn't much to worry about anymore. Of course, if you get up in the "mountains", things might be a little different. It's summer with heat and high humidity for us "land lubbers" that's taking more of a toll. (He says after just spending a few hours in his 87ºF temporary shop while it's currently 97)F outside with a "real feel" close to 107ºF)

In my world, all life ceases to exist somewhere around 52F. I don’t think you understand just how hard this is going to be for me. :D

Jim Becker
08-13-2021, 8:20 PM
In my world, all life ceases to exist somewhere around 52F. I don’t think you understand just how hard this is going to be for me. :D
Maybe you should be reincarnated as a honeybee...that's about the temp they slow down, too. LOL But they are almost all female, too, so that would be a major change for you for sure!

Dave Zellers
08-13-2021, 9:15 PM

You have nothing to worry about.

In 15-20 years you will have completely acclimated to your new surroundings. :D

Alex Zeller
08-14-2021, 12:43 AM
I put an extra blanket on the bed when it gets below 78 degrees, and I’m totally serious about that. I am acclimated for warm and humid. I will adjust, but I don’t want to.

The wife turns on the seat heater in the car when the temp is below 70, lol. I think I've turned it on once in the last 5 years.

Mel Fulks
08-14-2021, 1:13 AM
I’m in despair when cold, just too warm when hot. Brain-freeze is real !

Jeff Bartley
08-14-2021, 8:41 AM
Petersburg is a cool spot, we did a window restoration job at Appomattox Manor a few years back and rented a house in Petersburg for the two weeks we were there. Trapezium Brewing has great pizza and beer and there’s a killer bakery (but I don’t remember the name). And right down the road from the house was a Jamaican restaurant, I couldn’t remember the name but google says it’s Caribbean Kitchen, whatever the name it was really good!
Virginia is a nice place to live, IMHO. We’re on the west side of the state, the Shenandoah Valley, within eyesight of the WV border (my favorite state!). Once you move and start to explore the state you’re welcome to stop by for a visit!
Good luck on the move.

Malcolm Schweizer
08-14-2021, 9:10 AM
Petersburg is a cool spot, we did a window restoration job at Appomattox Manor a few years back and rented a house in Petersburg for the two weeks we were there. Trapezium Brewing has great pizza and beer and there’s a killer bakery (but I don’t remember the name). And right down the road from the house was a Jamaican restaurant, I couldn’t remember the name but google says it’s Caribbean Kitchen, whatever the name it was really good!
Virginia is a nice place to live, IMHO. We’re on the west side of the state, the Shenandoah Valley, within eyesight of the WV border (my favorite state!). Once you move and start to explore the state you’re welcome to stop by for a visit!
Good luck on the move.

I plan to build a canoe in short order. I always wanted to build a canoe, but kayaks were more suitable here. I plan to head your way in search of suitable streams. Will look ya up. Also I am leaving my Harley here and getting an Indian, so I am sure I will be doing some exploring your way with that.

Keith Outten
08-14-2021, 10:06 AM
I remember all to well how cold it was in Upstate New York in the mid eighties. I was not prepared for -30 temperatures, especially when it stays that cold all Winter, 24 hours per day. Oswego NY had 326 inches of snow average and it was more then just an adjustment, it could get a bit dangerous. The Summer months were the most beautiful I have ever seen though. We were riding around in my Jeep with the doors off and people thought I was crazy. Went to the State park one Sunday when it was 75 degrees and the park was empty, the Park Ranger told me it was to hot to be outside :)

Last Winter here on the Virginia coast it snowed twice, barely turned the grass white and not enough to cover the roads at all. Once the weatherman was predicting two inches of snow and they announced that the school system would be closed that night and it only rained. People here are afraid of snow :)

Jim Becker
08-14-2021, 12:19 PM
The wife turns on the seat heater in the car when the temp is below 70, lol. I think I've turned it on once in the last 5 years.
Well, I use my heated steering wheel sometimes in summer, too, as well as the seat heater (on low) on long drives if i'm feeling achy :)

Rod Sheridan
08-14-2021, 1:00 PM
Malcolm, I’m sure you’ll survive winter, it’s a lot better than a hurricane.

Years ago I was at a BMW rally and a gentleman came over to talk as he had seen the Canadian flag decal on my bike.

He commented that he could never live in a place that had snowstorms, and he lived near Baton Rouge.

My comment was “ When there’s a snowstorm I stay home, put extra food in the bird feeder and watch it snow. I never have to worry that my home might blow away in a hurricane “

I don’t know if he was convinced however that’s my take on winter.

Good luck on your move….Rod.

Bruce Wrenn
08-14-2021, 1:24 PM
Petersburg is just minutes from the James River. River is wide enough, and deep enough for smaller ocean going ships to dock between Petersburg and Richmond. Appomattax river flows thru town, out to James river. I agree with Kieth that Kings has the best non eastern NC style BBQ. When I worked in Petersburg during the mid 1980's, I was a lunch regular. Didn't hurt that they were less than a mile up the street from job site.

Malcolm Schweizer
08-14-2021, 4:33 PM
Petersburg is just minutes from the James River. River is wide enough, and deep enough for smaller ocean going ships to dock between Petersburg and Richmond. Appomattax river flows thru town, out to James river. I agree with Kieth that Kings has the best non eastern NC style BBQ. When I worked in Petersburg during the mid 1980's, I was a lunch regular. Didn't hurt that they were less than a mile up the street from job site.

I studied long and hard on getting a full keel up the James River. I could do it, but there were no really good marinas to live aboard. I’m not interested in living on a powerboat. Once Petra is 18, I will be sailing back to the islands at least for the winters.

Jeff Bartley
08-15-2021, 10:55 AM
I plan to build a canoe in short order. I always wanted to build a canoe, but kayaks were more suitable here. I plan to head your way in search of suitable streams. Will look ya up. Also I am leaving my Harley here and getting an Indian, so I am sure I will be doing some exploring your way with that.

Out this way you’d want to pick your rivers carefully in a wooden canoe. Lots of scraping depending on water levels. But I think you’d be fine on the Appomattox and some sections of the James. Probably not the section of the James through Richmond though, that gets pretty rowdy!

Curt Harms
08-15-2021, 3:50 PM

I lived in St. Croix for 3 years then moved to just west of Minneapolis MN. It's a little different but not as bad as I had feared. Of course I was young and foolish.

Keith Outten
08-16-2021, 11:52 AM
It's really hard to think of the James River being so small. On my end its 4.6 miles wide and nuclear aircraft carriers are often seen on the river moving in and out of the shipyards and Norfolk Navel Base.

Jason Roehl
08-17-2021, 5:37 AM
I hope you find the right bike! I just bought a ‘18 Chieftain (I wanted a “not a Harley”) back in May after 20+ years out of the saddle due to raising kids. Last year, I filled the gas tank in my truck (mainly 5.5 mile commute to work and back) exactly once per month. I have just under a quarter tank right now from when I filled it May 18, about 10 days after I got the bike. On the other hand, I’ve filled the bike 10-11 times, and have done several 2-5 hour rides.

Best wishes your relocation goes smoothly!

Curt Harms
08-18-2021, 10:16 AM
.................................................. ............
Last Winter here on the Virginia coast it snowed twice, barely turned the grass white and not enough to cover the roads at all. Once the weatherman was predicting two inches of snow and they announced that the school system would be closed that night and it only rained. People here are afraid of snow :)

No they're not, they're sensible ;). I do recall some years ago that the DC area got many inches of snow, collapsed some roofs. That's certainly not common though.

Malcolm Schweizer
08-18-2021, 11:32 AM
I hope you find the right bike! I just bought a ‘18 Chieftain (I wanted a “not a Harley”) back in May after 20+ years out of the saddle due to raising kids. Last year, I filled the gas tank in my truck (mainly 5.5 mile commute to work and back) exactly once per month. I have just under a quarter tank right now from when I filled it May 18, about 10 days after I got the bike. On the other hand, I’ve filled the bike 10-11 times, and have done several 2-5 hour rides.

Best wishes your relocation goes smoothly!

I found the perfect bike- a 2015 Indian Chief Vintage with 12k miles for a decent price. I need it to wait a week or so and not sell til I can get there! I am going to put lake pipes, an old-school spring seat with matching saddle bags by Heather’s Leathers, which I had made for my Harley and will easily modify to fit the Indian. I didn’t want a new bike- wanted one with a few miles and road rash that I can tinker with and make my own.

Ron Selzer
08-18-2021, 12:03 PM
I found the perfect bike- a 2015 Indian Chief Vintage with 12k miles for a decent price. I need it to wait a week or so and not sell til I can get there! I am going to put lake pipes, an old-school spring seat with matching saddle bags by Heather’s Leathers, which I had made for my Harley and will easily modify to fit the Indian. I didn’t want a new bike- wanted one with a few miles and road rash that I can tinker with and make my own.

Smart man, let someone else take the hit on new bike price and the first road rash. Post a pic after you get it and make it yours
I had to quit working or quit riding due to physical issues a few years ago. Could not retire so sold all bikes and sidecars off. Better shape now and may try a scooter next year if I keep improving. Highly doubt I will ever be on a big bike again. Do have a little convertible now, so can get in the wind now.

Keith Outten
08-18-2021, 12:40 PM
No they're not, they're sensible ;). I do recall some years ago that the DC area got many inches of snow, collapsed some roofs. That's certainly not common though.

Curt, I was speaking about the coastal area of Virginia. The DC area is not on the coast.
I remember one particular Winter here that we had two 25" snowfalls a couple weeks apart but that was very rare.
We have had extreme cold weather here when I was a child, both the James and York rivers froze over but it's unlikely that would ever happen again.
The frost line here is only 12 inches, in Upstate New York its 48 inches.

ChrisA Edwards
08-18-2021, 12:49 PM
Virginia, as well as the surrounding State, NC, GA, WV, TN, have some of the best riding roads in North America.

Once you get into the Appalachians, if you like curvy roads with stunning views, you'll be in motorcycle heaven.

My only complaint about VA, the State police are a bit more active and present that the other states.

When I lived in MD, just outside Washington DC, we would plan our rides to get out of VA as quickly as possible.

Jason Roehl
08-19-2021, 5:37 AM
Smart man, let someone else take the hit on new bike price and the first road rash. Post a pic after you get it and make it yours
I had to quit working or quit riding due to physical issues a few years ago. Could not retire so sold all bikes and sidecars off. Better shape now and may try a scooter next year if I keep improving. Highly doubt I will ever be on a big bike again. Do have a little convertible now, so can get in the wind now.

Due to supply issues, there is almost no hit on new bikes right now, just standard depreciation, if that. That is, the bikes may drop in value a few percent per year and due to miles ridden, but you won’t lose 10% driving it off the lot like you would in a “normal” economy. One guy I know who rides an Indian Roadmaster ordered a new Honda GoldWing last December, and still hasn’t gotten it!

Matt Day
08-19-2021, 3:31 PM
I called Charlottesville Virginia home for 12 years. Spent a lot of time in Staunton, Harrisonburg, and a bit in Richmond. The central Virginia area and the blue ridge mountains are an amazing place which I hope to get back to one day. Richmond is a great town, lots to do, lots of young people keeping it lively, and lots of mountain bike trails if you are interested.

Matt Day
08-19-2021, 3:36 PM

You would be surprised. An occasional large storm combined with their lack of preparedness and lack of plowing machinery can equal some pretty bad winters. I think it was winter of 2008 and 2009 when we got about 2 feet of snow over the course of a couple days. It completely crippled the city. The plows couldn’t keep up so the snow got packed on the roads to about 8 inches deep. I have never seen such big snow potholes before! Glad I had a Subaru!

Mike Soaper
08-19-2021, 5:46 PM
I called Charlottesville Virginia home for 12 years. Spent a lot of time in Staunton, Harrisonburg, and a bit in Richmond. The central Virginia area and the blue ridge mountains are an amazing place which I hope to get back to one day. Richmond is a great town, lots to do, lots of young people keeping it lively, and lots of mountain bike trails if you are interested.

I haven't been for a while, but a bit east of Harrisonburg is the Skyline Drive in the Shenandoah National Park, which could be very popular in the fall when the leaves were changing. Could get a bit crowed then though.

Jim Becker
08-19-2021, 7:36 PM
You would be surprised. An occasional large storm combined with their lack of preparedness and lack of plowing machinery can equal some pretty bad winters. I think it was winter of 2008 and 2009 when we got about 2 feet of snow over the course of a couple days. It completely crippled the city. The plows couldn’t keep up so the snow got packed on the roads to about 8 inches deep. I have never seen such big snow potholes before! Glad I had a Subaru!

Oh, it happens for sure. It's just not as common as in the past. But yea...I'm with you on the Subaru thing. LOL

Matt Day
08-19-2021, 10:29 PM
I haven't been for a while, but a bit east of Harrisonburg is the Skyline Drive in the Shenandoah National Park, which could be very popular in the fall when the leaves were changing. Could get a bit crowed then though.

It’s best experienced by bicycle! Yes lots of leaf lookers in the Fall for sure, but speed limits are pretty slow thankfully. I could do without the large and loud groups of motorcycles though.

We used to do a road ride from Charlottesville up to SLD and back. I remember hitting 60mph on my bike coming down one time. To get to that speed we’d be passing cars and RV’s toward the top. Good memories, but I was a lot younger, and single back then!

Malcolm Schweizer
08-21-2021, 3:56 PM
Just in case you guys thought I was kidding, I just bought this.

Roger Feeley
08-21-2021, 5:12 PM
Perry,
I’m in northern VA (Falls Church). You are right about there being no basements. To be specific, land here is so expensive that people finish every square inch they can. We had a realtor (friend) who had the patience of a saint as we got over the sticker shock. We resorted to asking her if she could find us any homes with badly finished basements that I could un-finish. When that didn’t work, our daughter pointed out that they have enough land for us to build a house right next to theirs. That worked. The financing was weird but it’s been an easy and convenient 5 years now.

Jim Becker
08-21-2021, 8:57 PM
THat's really nice, Malcolm! Congrats on the bike!!

Malcolm Schweizer
08-22-2021, 8:23 AM
THat's really nice, Malcolm! Congrats on the bike!!

Thanks, Jim. I’m going to personalize her with dual “cholo” fishtail exhaust, custom seat, and a few other things. I drove down to NC to see it in person and it was weird driving 2 1/2 hours without running into the water! A few other culture shock things in returning to the states: Totally forgot trains existed. Also forgot car hauling transport trucks existed, and they look really sketchy. Literally anyone can rent a gigantic Penske truck, regardless of experience, so I learned at a truck stop. Additionally, I am going to have to stop saying “good night” as a greeting, as here it means you’re going to sleep.

Ronald Blue
08-22-2021, 8:31 AM
Just in case you guys thought I was kidding, I just bought this.

Nice ride! It wouldn't be yours if you didn't customize it. How else will you pick it out of the crowd? :) Hope you get lot's of pleasure from it. If you get bored riding it on the hills and curves we have lots of flat straight see for miles roads in my neck of the woods. The old saying comes to mind even if it doesn't really apply here. "So many Chiefs and so few Indians".

Wayne Collier
08-22-2021, 9:03 AM
Malcolm,
When I saw the photo of the bike I immediately thought, "That isn't St. Thomas!"
There are a lot of roads near us that would make for a great ride, but I gave up motorcycles about 45 years ago after almost being hit by two crazies on the same day.
We expect to hear you coming round the mountain for a visit after you get settled.
Godspeed.
Wayne

Ron Selzer
08-22-2021, 9:47 AM
Nice bike
Enjoy the ride

John K Jordan
08-22-2021, 11:22 AM
... If you get bored riding it on the hills and curves we have lots of flat straight see for miles roads in my neck of the woods. ...

Instead, take a jaunt down to the Smoky Mountains and run the Dragon.
https://www.hotcars.com/heres-why-tail-of-the-dragon-is-one-of-the-most-beautiful-and-dangerous-roads/

Occasionally someone does get a little over-enthusiastic and/or distracted and can't tell about it later, but that may be evolution in action. I've traveled it many times, often going or coming from whitewater kayaking. The road is well engineered.
https://tailofthedragonmaps.com/tail-of-the-dragon-deaths/

JKJ

Keith Outten
08-22-2021, 11:32 AM
That's a real beauty.

Malcolm Schweizer
08-22-2021, 12:56 PM
https://www.hotcars.com/heres-why-tail-of-the-dragon-is-one-of-the-most-beautiful-and-dangerous-roads/

Occasionally someone does get a little over-enthusiastic and/or distracted and can't tell about it later, but that may be evolution in action. I've traveled it many times, often going or coming from whitewater kayaking. The road is well engineered.

JKJ

Been there, done that, but in a Mustang GT in my younger days. My brother goes there now and then. It’s the crazies that keep me from wanting to go.

Ron Selzer
08-22-2021, 1:48 PM
Been there, done that, but in a Mustang GT in my younger days. My brother goes there now and then. It’s the crazies that keep me from wanting to go.

Come up to South East Ohio and ride the triple nickel St Rt 555 and other roads that have great scenery, plenty of curves and a lot less tourists

ChrisA Edwards
08-22-2021, 5:28 PM
This is yours true having little fun at the 'Tail of the Dragon' a couple of years ago.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/i452/cedwards874/Bike%20Stuff/Ducati%201299S/.highres/DealsGap1299_1_07312017M_zpslqhs8fys.jpg

The Cherohala Skyway is a much better road, but you have to watch out for NC Motorcycle Officers. Best during mid week.

Dave Zellers
08-22-2021, 6:11 PM
Oh MAN! Nothing quite like knowing your abilities. :D

Jeff Bartley
08-23-2021, 6:57 AM

JKJ

John, do you still kayak? I just got into white water kayaking last year. Lotsa good water down your way!

Dave Anderson NH
08-23-2021, 8:25 AM
John and Jeff,

I used to do whitewater kayaking but now confine myself to sea kayaking. This was taken years ago. Bull Sluice on section 4 of the Chattooga.

Malcolm Schweizer
08-23-2021, 1:26 PM
John, do you still kayak? I just got into white water kayaking last year. Lotsa good water down your way!

I used to whitewater kayak, but it’s been a long time. That was back when play boats were a new idea. I might jump back in when I get settled.

John K Jordan
08-23-2021, 4:34 PM

I no longer have a kayak! I did a lot of whitewater in both canoe and kayak a bunch of years ago, then started spending my time on scuba and cave diving.

We ran a lot of "local" water, watching the levels closely towards the weekends. Ran the Nantahala a lot since it had reliable water but only one class III rapid, Chattooga section 3 (some nice drops), Daddy's Creek, Ocoee, and even the Hiwassee (but that's hardly worth calling that white water!)

I spent some time upside-down in a hydraulic on the Ocoee once - it was fun trying to roll upright long enough to get another breath - after I finally gave up and ejected it still took about 10 minutes to lasso and pull the boat out of the hole! The only time I ran the Chattooga was solo in a Blue Hole ABS canoe. Man, those boats are tough! I folded mine in half around a rock on the Nantahala and when I finally got it free it popped right back into shape! Smashed my face on a rock on Daddy's Creek at flood stage - I was wearing glasses and when I switched to a backup pair with an old prescription it threw out my depth perception for the rest of the run. Ack! Ran that day with wild man Jim Smith and Don (Jared's Knee) Jared. Good clean fun!

White water got so popular most rivers were overcrowded with rafts on warm days. Once I was watching the entertaining action at Falls at the end when everyone in an approaching raft jumped out into the water just above the drop, everyone except one guy, standing up in the raft and beating the raft with his paddle. Turned out a snake had dropped into the raft from an overhanging tree. :)

JKJ

John K Jordan
08-23-2021, 4:49 PM
John and Jeff,

I used to do whitewater kayaking but now confine myself to sea kayaking. This was taken years ago. Bull Sluice on section 4 of the Chattooga.

The only time I ran Chattooga was section 3, took out at the bridge if I'm remembering correctly. I remember watching some guys starting out on section 4 without paddles! Yikes. Sure, I learned how to roll with just my hands but I can't imagine controlling the boat without a paddle, especially in big water. Maybe they had some kind of paddles hidden in the boat.

I've never tried a sea kayak.

Jeff Bartley
08-23-2021, 7:04 PM
I used to whitewater kayak, but it’s been a long time. That was back when play boats were a new idea. I might jump back in when I get settled.

The Richmond area is actually a great spot for white water. Nowadays slicey and half-slice boats a popular. Think, low-volumn stern for playing in eddy lines. There’s some very tame water in my area but an hour or two drive gets to some really cool rivers!

John and Dave: awesome stuff! Thanks for sharing your experiences on the water. I’m at the point where I can roll but have yet to have my first ‘combat’ roll. I think that’s when being able roll really counts. I just love getting out on a river, even if it’s not so turbulent.

And Matt: please come back to VA for a visit so we can ride bikes! I live on the west side of the fort valley now.

Dave Anderson NH
08-24-2021, 10:32 AM
Jeff, an intentional dump in class 2 or better whitewater with someone standing by for rescue is the way to get confidence in your roll under real conditions. Do it several times with the boat facing in different directions.

Malcolm Schweizer
08-31-2021, 10:59 PM
Well, folks, I bought a house. It was built in 1880, and has a very unique history that I will share later. I want to close first. Get this- it wasn’t in the listing, but the agent said all furnishings were included. The furnishings are some amazing antiques. Well, the day of the showing he said, “everything you see in the house comes with it- the art, the furniture, the China, the linens, the rugs, the vases, the flowers in the vases… everything in the house comes with it.” Check out just a few of the rooms and the furnishings:
463922 463923 463924 463925

It’s literally a Godsend. The guy didn’t want to move his stuff. Even the silverware, utensils, food- all included. Those rugs…that piano…that writing desk…I’m going to be weeks pawing through stuff. Oh, and there is a walk-out basement with two rooms: one 17x48, and the other 17x24; plenty for a shop until I find a suitable commercial building. Now I’m selling off furniture that I thought I would need to ship, but no longer will, which leaves more room for tools and mahogany slabs!

Mel Fulks
08-31-2021, 11:28 PM
Must have been built for the Caribbean Ambassador ! Quite something! My favorite is the bed with hangings. You don’t see many of those.
And they are what make a bed a lavish luxurious and fanciful hide-a -way. May good fortune abide !

Malcolm Schweizer
08-31-2021, 11:43 PM
Must have been built for the Caribbean Ambassador ! Quite something! My favorite is the bed with hangings. You don’t see many of those.
And they are what make a bed a lavish luxurious and fanciful hide-a -way. May good fortune abide !

Petra will have the coolest bed ever!

Jim Becker
09-01-2021, 8:01 AM
Nice find! While not "my style" from a personal standpoint, that's really well decorated and looks appropriate for the vintage of the home. I look forward to the "story" once you're able to tell it! And yea...not having to move so much stuff from the island does make for other opportunities. :)

Malcolm Schweizer
09-01-2021, 1:52 PM
Nice find! While not "my style" from a personal standpoint, that's really well decorated and looks appropriate for the vintage of the home. I look forward to the "story" once you're able to tell it! And yea...not having to move so much stuff from the island does make for other opportunities. :)

I absolutely get that. It’s not everyone’s style, but I am just an old soul. I really love old style. That painted mirror in the living room is a bit gaudy, but somehow I like it. I actually haven’t seen it in person yet. I did a video walkthrough.

Matt Day
09-01-2021, 4:08 PM
Malcolm, If you’re interested in a free 12” Crescent jointer PM me. It’s in VA, about an hour drive from Richmond. Might need a little work.