PDA

View Full Version : New Router Table

Jonathan Spool
08-12-2021, 4:24 PM
I’m looking at putting together a second router table. My first table was put together using a Milwaukee motor that came with a switch and variable speed control. Its been a great unit but I can’t find one for sale anywhere. I also can’t find any router table switch that includes a variable control. Either just the switch, or just the variablespeed control that won’t work with a slow start router. Whats the preffered approach these days?

Dan Rude
08-16-2021, 2:48 AM
MLCS Router Bits & Woodworking Products, still has speed controls. Variable speed controls are mostly used on older 1 speed only routers so you can use the larger bits. Most of the others have Multiple speed ranges now. Dan

Rick Potter
08-16-2021, 3:01 AM
My preferred choice would be a router with a built in speed control. Plenty of choices around nowadays, like Dan says.

My experience with aftermarket speed controls is not good. The one I had for a while was not very accurate or repeatable (just going by the noise...no numbers). I would turn the dial a bit and nothing happens, jut a bit more and it races. Didn't keep it.

Jonathan Spool
08-19-2021, 8:28 PM
Once your router is properly enclosed in a dust extraction box, speed changes on the router itself become cumbersome, at least for this old guy. I agree that most router speed controls leave a lot to be desired as far as dependability and quality goes, but not the one that came with the milwaukee 5626-68 router. Best router 3 1/4hp motor, remote speed control ever made, hands down. Why they stopped making it escapes me. Perhaps at $600 it` was `too spendy for market demand