PDA

View Full Version : Dna?

Jesse Merino
01-12-2006, 9:38 AM
Ok, was it on this Forum that I saw something about drying wood by DNA?? I have no idea what that is, besides the basic building blocks of the body, but, I'm sure the acronym is for something special so that wood dries in two weeks as was stated in a post instead of months...

So, can anyome possibly shed illumination on this subject? (And some one hit the switch!!)...:) ...Jesse

David Wilson
01-12-2006, 9:41 AM
Jesse

DNA stands for denatured alcahol. Havn,t used the proscess myself but there are several creekers who have and I am sure you will get more insight.

Quinn McCarthy
01-12-2006, 10:43 AM
I have used DNA a lot of times for drying rough turned bowls. I don't have the p[atience to wait several months to finish turn a bowl so I really like doing it. I use a turkey deep fryer pot to put the bowls in. I can get 13" bowls in there. The only drawback is it leaves an odor in the shop while the wet alchohol dries off the surface. If you live in a milder climate you could let them set outside however the winters up here are too darn cold up here to do that. I have not done alot of different species however I have never had a crack from drying like that. I tried boiling but I thought that was a major PITA.

Cecil Arnold
01-12-2006, 10:47 AM
Jesse, as David said it is denatured alcohol. David Smith, a fellow creeker put the process together and it has been tested by others, including Bill Gumbine. The short of the process is to rough turn the piece, soak in DNA for anywhere from a couple of hours to overnight. Remove the piece and let the DNA flash off. Wrap the outside of the bowl in paper (I've used two to three thicknesses of newspaper and heavy brown paper with about the same results) taping the edges tightly. Prop them in a manner where air can circulate around the unwrapped, inside of the bowl. Depending on the wood and thickness of the blank you should be ready to finish turn in a couple of weeks. The crack rate is normally under 10%.

Dennis Peacock
01-12-2006, 11:52 AM
I use the DNA method and have had GREAT results with it. :D

Joe Tonich
01-12-2006, 12:15 PM
I use the DNA method and have had GREAT results with it. :D

It's OK as long as one of the moderators don't catch ya bein BAD!!!!!!!! ;) :p :D

Keith Nielsen
01-12-2006, 12:34 PM
Hi,

I have tryed this method on several different ways and types of wood. I found it to work well when you rough out the bowl to 10% of its overall size Thus a 10" bowl would be 1" thick roughed out. I completely submerge the bowl in DNA for 24 hours. I then tape a plastic bag on the back of the bowl. I then let it dry on a screen mesh shelf for 3 days after which its dry enough to turn a second time and finish. I have taken the whole bowl blank (before rough turning) and soaked it for 3 days then let it dry in the open air for a week. This was also very successful no cracks or warping after the bowl was finished.

Good luck
Keith

Dave Smith
01-12-2006, 9:01 PM
You can find information and links on my web site. The URL is in my profile. If you have trouble finding the information or have more questions please email me.

Good luck.

Dave Smith

Managed to finish some bowls today in Longview, WA.

Dennis Peacock
01-13-2006, 2:02 AM
It's OK as long as one of the moderators don't catch ya bein BAD!!!!!!!! ;) :p :D

LOL!!!! You better watch out now Joe!!!! Your time's a comin'. :p :rolleyes: :D

Jesse Merino
01-14-2006, 7:03 AM
I appreciate those comebacks... Now, I have another thing...

I am thinking of turning spindles and other things, that will be inches thick.. (Unlike bowls that have to worry about warpage, I just worry about cracking.)

Better half figures maybe in June I can afford a new lathe, for about 500 or so, so I am perusing web sites...and next friday, going to woodcraft store to see about things, and I heard that they have some there, and since the wife and child will be with me, (I'm driving), they will sort of be a "trapped audience" for me, to take into the store...LOL ;)...

(Pays to be sneaky and let the wife know what I want, eh? LOL)...

Hmmm a 5 gallon bucket of denatured alchohol should do me good, (5 gallon bucket to soak it in, and, what, a couple of gallons to put the wood in? )... Ok, I shall try to soak stuff in there for a few days, since its going to be inches thick, instead of less than an inch...thanks everyone...Jesse