PDA

View Full Version : Wood movement in a laminated moulding?

Mike King
08-12-2021, 7:53 AM
I’m in the process of constructing two cabinets as reliquaries for my father, who passed away in early May. He was a veteran of the Korean War, a recipient of the Bronze Star, and those events shaped and influenced his life. I’ve designed two cabinets, one to hold the flag we received from the military honors at his funeral, the other to house his uniform.

A key aspect of the design is a quarter round moulding that I’ve designed. The moulding will be formed by laminating woods to form 50mm long American flags. See a section of the design below. I designed the flags to be constructed from layers of cherry (red) and maple (white) to form the stripes, with the union to be formed by a block of walnut. I’ve purchased a profile to cut a 20mm radius on the stack of laminates to form the quarter round, and will then cut the flats using the table saw with the blade angled 45 degrees.

My question is whether the cabinet is going to have wood movements problems in the long run given the dissimilar woods used in the construction of the moulding. The cabinet, and the main field in the moulding, is mahogany, which variety of mahogany I’m unsure of. I suspect it is Honduran mahogany. It isn’t African as far as I can tell. So the moulding would have mahogany, walnut, cherry, and maple — is it going to be a disaster or the crowning piece to accent the cabinet I desire?

Mike

John TenEyck
08-12-2021, 10:45 AM
Mike, if you included a photo or drawing I'm not seeing it.

If the moldings are fairly narrow I don't think there's going to be an issue with using different species of wood.

John

Mike King
08-12-2021, 11:38 AM
Thanks. I've edited the post. The moulding will be approximately 20mm (a bit more than ¾) and the troublesome parts will be formed from laminates 1.8mm (a bit more than 1/16") thick.

John TenEyck
08-12-2021, 12:59 PM
IMO you have nothing to worry about.

John