PDA

View Full Version : Spindle galled on 3520--how to fix?

Gary Pennington
08-11-2021, 8:27 PM
Used the OEM spur drive against a live center to rough turn a small bowl out of 1 1/2" thick cherry. Finished up the bowl then went to turn another one. I always wipe off the taper on the center with my hand and check the inside of the spindle with my little finger before seating the center (or any other MT-2 tooling). Today I noticed the spur drive was galled and a little rough so took a fine file to smooth the roughness. Then checked the inside of the spindle. It feels like the outsie of the spur drive. The marks are paralled to the lenght, not radial as thought it spun. See the attached pics---It feels like I must have missed some sanding grit or something that stuck the two pieces together. I don't remember it being difficult to remove the spur drive but it has ben a couple days--

Wondering if it would be OK to clean up the inside of the spindle with some fine sandpaper on a smooth dowel? I have 600 thru 2000 grit papers. Or, is there a better solution?

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated,

g

Jim Barkelew
08-11-2021, 9:18 PM
You can buy a MT reamer to true up the taper. You can also turn a wood MT taper fairly accurately by trial and error and wrap the paper around it. The dowel and paper will work . I don't think you can damage the taper with sandpaper unless used excessively.

Jim

John K Jordan
08-11-2021, 10:00 PM
I have cleaned up rotational galling in the 2MT with sandpaper on a dowel, with a fine round file, and with the #2MT reamer mentioned.

I paid about $29 for a set of reamers (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07933VYD7, currently unavailable) but I see some cheaper.

JKJ

Gary Pennington
08-12-2021, 7:04 AM
Jim & John,
Thank you both, will go to work with the sandpaper and dowel method. Ordereda reamer set just in case--who would have thought a pair of reamers could be had for under $30 delivered.

g

Edit to add: It's refreshing to know others have suffered a similar issue

Edward Weber
08-12-2021, 11:01 AM
Edit to add: It's refreshing to know others have suffered a similar issue

It happens to all of us at one time or another, whether we get damage or tell anyone is another story. I'm sure now you will securely seat all your MT accessories, a slight tap with the proper mallet/hammer is all that's needed.
Of course, now that you have a reamer coming, after you repair this issue, you'll never need to use it again.

Gary Pennington
08-12-2021, 5:25 PM
...... after you repair this issue, you'll never need to use it again.

One would hope ;)

g