PDA

View Full Version : general purpose nailer

Stephen White
08-11-2021, 6:13 PM
OK I bought my framing nailer and my finish nailer years ago and they are compressor.

I have watched enough videos lately that I have decided I need a small general purpose 20 volt cordless nailer sitting around. To be honest I see it mostly for incidental use on jigs and such. I don't need it often but not having it when I do is a pain.

Harbor Frieght has an $80 20 volt (tool only) brad nailer that drives 1 1/2" & 2" brad nails and on Amazon I see a combo brad nailer/stapler that does 5/8-1" staples and 5/8"~1-1/4" nails that reasonable and comes with batteries and charger.

Leaning toward the combo but trying to decide if inch and a quarter is a mistake.

Any input from one of you guys that have one of these would be great. Anything you wished you had considered before buying one.

johnny means
08-11-2021, 6:23 PM
A 1.25 max nail length seems like a mistake to me. It's useless for anything thicker than 3/4.

Stephen White
08-12-2021, 12:33 PM
yeah it struck me that way at first but then I do have a full size finish nailer and a framing nailer and this is supposed to be a quick grab for jigs and quick forming. Do you have a cordless nailer? Are the larger ones an easy grab?

Stephen White
08-12-2021, 1:23 PM
Ok, went up $30 and got one with a decent small range but up to 2". Still seems light weight and compact. Thanks for the input!

Steve Rozmiarek
08-13-2021, 2:10 PM
If you want to level up several times, Milwaukee's newer cordless nailers are really good. We use the bejeebers out of them, 18 gauge up to 3 1/2" framers.

George Yetka
08-13-2021, 2:21 PM
I went with the grex 18 gauge gas. and have got using it down. when I first got it i thought it was wasteful as I set it up and used it for 10 nails then the next time i picked it up the gas was empty and the batteries dead. I started pulling out the batteries and gas and its great. I dont have to hear the compressor. I still use the compressor for 23, 16, and crown though.

The grex isnt too cheep though

Edward Weber
08-13-2021, 7:21 PM
My "cordless" nailer is called a hammer.
I don't travel my tools out to a job site so no need for cordless, pneumatic is less expensive, better capacities and works just fine for me.
https://www.harborfreight.com/18-gauge-2-in-1-air-nailerstapler-68019.html
if all you want is a little jig making gun
just a suggestion

Stephen White
08-13-2021, 7:43 PM
Thanks for all the input.

I spent $120 but it came with battery and chargers so hopefully it will be handy. One of my motivations is getting rid of compressor for just quick tack up situations. I do have both compressor powered framing nailer and finish nailer and I also have a corded brad nailer/stapler and will of course keep them all but this will just be handy to have charging next to the cordless drills.