PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use a #1 bench plane?

James Spillman
08-11-2021, 5:50 PM
Just wondering how useful is a #1 bench plane? In particular I'm thinking of the Veritas version.

Tom M King
08-11-2021, 7:22 PM
I've always wanted to just hold one, but I've never seen one in person-only in pictures.

Stephen Rosenthal
08-11-2021, 8:05 PM
Not familiar with the Veritas version but I saw and tried a LN #1 at one of their hand tool events. It’s very small. Struck me as more of a child’s or collectible piece rather than a functional plane. You cannot grip the tote in the usual manner; instead you have to lay your palm over the tote and use it like a block plane. I suppose some others might disagree, but I wouldn’t buy one.

Frederick Skelly
08-11-2021, 8:12 PM
I use the Wood River #1 on small parts. If the Veritas was available when I bought mine, I think I would have dropped the extra $40 and purchased the LV. But there's nothing wrong with the Wood River.

Jack Frederick
08-12-2021, 10:17 AM
Like Stephen, I spent some time years ago in the LN showroom with a #1. It was beautiful in the bronze, but I spent most of the time with it trying to figure our how to hold it. I don’t have big mitts, but even at that it was a challenge, and I found that grabbing it over the top, again like Stephen, made it tippie.

Alan Schwabacher
08-12-2021, 4:55 PM
They are cute, but I think their rarity says something about how useful earlier generations found them. The #3 is the smallest bench plane that's useful to me, but opinions vary.

Thomas Wilson
08-12-2021, 7:33 PM
I have a Lie-Nielsen #1. I bought it to share with grandchildren and to complete a set of L-N bench planes. You can live a full and satisfying woodworker life without ever owning one. It is like a block plane but beautiful. You be a he judge.

James Spillman
08-12-2021, 8:26 PM
The Wood River and Lie Nielsen have the same design. They are designed like block planes. People have said they are awkward to grip. The #1 Veritas is designed differently. It has a rear handle. It probably is easier to hold.

Stephen Rosenthal
08-13-2021, 4:36 PM
The Wood River and Lie Nielsen have the same design. They are designed like block planes. People have said they are awkward to grip. The #1 Veritas is designed differently. It has a rear handle. It probably is easier to hold.

James,

I looked online at the Veritas. That’s the one designed as a low angle plane (like many block planes). The LN is a standard bevel down bench plane, like #2-8. Again, no actual experience with the Veritas. With its open design I’m sure it is easier to hold, but seems to duplicate the functions of a block plane at considerably more expense.

Don Dorn
08-16-2021, 2:57 AM
I have a Lie-Nielsen #1. I bought it to share with grandchildren and to complete a set of L-N bench planes. You can live a full and satisfying woodworker life without ever owning one. It is like a block plane but beautiful. You be a he judge.

I don't own one, but have thought about for just what you said. I'm the odd one out in that I don't really care for block planes except to chamfer. I'd like to think a little more heft than a block would be a #1 that you could use (and hold) for the same tasks.

Pete Taran
08-18-2021, 7:54 PM
I have the LV version and use it quite a bit for a specialized task. Namely planing bamboo strips into precise triangles to make bamboo flyrods. A 20 degree block plane is the typical tool used, but I find that after repeated use, my fingers get tired holding the front end down on the metal form. The Veritas version is mush more comfortable to use with the front knob. It's a very well made tool.

James,

I looked online at the Veritas. That’s the one designed as a low angle plane (like many block planes). The LN is a standard bevel down bench plane, like #2-8. Again, no actual experience with the Veritas. With its open design I’m sure it is easier to hold, but seems to duplicate the functions of a block plane at considerably more expense.

Jim Koepke
08-19-2021, 4:35 PM
Sometimes it is the right plane for the job:

For small jobs in small places there is nothing better.

jtk

Andrew Hughes
08-19-2021, 5:02 PM

jtk

Thats a great example for getting one.
I have wanted one for the small boxes I make. Sometimes the wood is very difficult and requires a iron with a chip breaker.
I currently use a no4 smoother it’s really oversized for the task.

Mike Allen1010
08-20-2021, 1:04 PM
I have the Lee Nielsen #1, and for me it's perfect for two jobs: trimming drawers – works great in small spaces like a block plane but has the benefits of a chip breaker. Secondly, I find it useful when surfacing large panels to get into and smooth small depressions where I would otherwise have to remove a lot more of the surrounding would if I used a larger plane. I agree the tote is difficult to hold. I made a replacement tote that extends farther back behind the body of the plane and allows me to wrap my hands around the tote.

Joe Tilson
08-21-2021, 4:12 PM
I use my Woodriver #1 Like a block plane and sizing small pieces like others have mentioned.

Mike Brady
08-22-2021, 12:26 PM
Had both a Stanley and an LN white bronze. Never used either to preserve value. Sold the Stanley and still have the LN sitting in the box. Can't think back to any time that I thought ".....If I just had a No.1 bench plane....".

Kevin Goss
08-22-2021, 2:40 PM
I like the Veritas #1. I picked one up about 2 months ago and have used it twice. The Veritas #1 just barely fits in my hand with the horn sitting tight in the crook of my thumb but is still a good user. The Lie Nielsen #1 is purely decorative for me. I've tried to use it a few times but there is no comfortable way for me to get a decent grip on it. I cant possibly hold it by the tote with the long horn that sits low that if you get the horn in the crook of your thumb then my hand sits below the sole. It's possible to hold it like a block plane but at that point it's 10x more comfortable to use an actual block plane. I still prefer a standard block plane for most tasks. I don't think it's available anymore but i'm very happy with the Veritas low angle block with the accessory knob & tote. That's the whole reason i was more than willing to purchase the #1 is because of how happy i've been with their low angle block with tote. I personally figure the worst case scenario of buying the #1 is not liking it and selling it for a very small loss (i consider it like a rental fee) or you might break even. It would be easy to live without the Veritas #1 but it's a good looking functional plane which i am happy with.

Frederick Skelly
08-22-2021, 3:16 PM

jtk

Thanks for the picture Jim. That's exactly the way I use my Wood River #1.
Best regards,
Fred

Dennis Droege
08-22-2021, 5:23 PM
Thanks, Jim. Your photo illustrates exactly where mine shines. I bought a LN #1 last year thinking I wouldn't use it much. Now it lives in my apron and finds its way into the work much more than I would have imagined. I'm sure I could have lived without it, but I sure use it. Regards.

Jim Koepke
08-22-2021, 5:43 PM
Just for fun, here is another way my LN #1 is held:

The ring finger and pinky are scissor gripping the tote while the thumb and middle finger are on the sides with the fore finger on the knob. The palm of my hand is on the top of the tote.

When my grandson was about 6 he had no problem holding and using it.

jtk

Stephen Rosenthal
08-24-2021, 4:31 PM
Chester Spier has very informative videos. Here he evaluates and compares the 4 versions of the #1. https://youtu.be/vg8WlNU2c6M

Since I have a LN 60 1/2 and Stanley 9 1/2, I won’t be getting a #1, but the video is definitely worth a look (as are his others) to those who have or are considering purchasing one.