PDA

View Full Version : Rev-A-Lock Key modification

Jeff Roltgen
08-11-2021, 10:53 AM
Seems simple enough - client requesting key be modified to fit under a turned wood object, so it may be further disguised as a random trinket on a shelf. Like a small goblet or bowl. Thought another magnet would be easy enough, but I've tried a number of neodymium magnets, even stacked a couple, yet they do not activate the lever, even though they'll detect it and hang on cabinet door. Just won't actuate the lock mechanism.
Seems the original key's mushroom knob could be cut down some, so bottom half could be epoxied into underside of another wooden object. Not sure how much magnet material is lurking in there...
Anyone cut one down successfully or know the right magnet combination to make this work?

Bert McMahan
08-11-2021, 11:14 AM
A replacement key looks to be only $10 or so. I'd hack at the one you have and if it breaks you're not out a bunch of money. I haven't done that myself, but the magnetic field might be a more specific shape than the regular magnets you're using. You could test it somewhat by sticking the key to something and seeing how hard it pulls, then checking your other magnets. Do your test magnets have more pull? Less pull? etc.

Larry Komroff
08-11-2021, 12:30 PM
After stacking magnets, did you put a piece of steel on one side which will direct magnetic field?

Jeff Roltgen
08-11-2021, 3:56 PM
Bert - that was original thought, but may not need to do that now. And yes, I've been testing the pull against magnets on hand, and the original key has quite a strong pull vs one or two neodymium magnets.
Larry, I finally scrounged up a 4th magnet to stack, and Voila! we're in business. I will also consider your suggestion of a steel backer to help focus the magnetic field better.

Another note regarding the "key" - it does not need to be in full contact to actuate the bolt. Means I can probably get away with a thin felt pad on the bottom. Finish is flat, so repeated contact with the raw surface with the key will likely introduce a higher sheen, which is very undesirable in this instance.

Thanks!